Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #5051
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Very quiet on my end. Just sent out two nudges.

I've signed a contract with what I consider a book packager, but it's different in that it pays royalty only on cover price, with no upfront flat fee. Jesus, I have no idea what I've gotten myself into. I'll just have to peruse the assignment when it comes in. These are small e-books, ranging from 15,000 to 25,000 words total. Payday is every month. This could be a nice gig or a total bust. Problem is, I'll have to do one and see how well their so called expert marketing ends up.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:40 PM   #5052
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
I had a brainwave about that angry agents suggestions and *gasp* I think she's right. I worked all morning on the revisions and just sent them off. Here's hoping she's equally as fast as last time (a few hours). Fingers crossed people.

Also, I wrote the other rejecting agent (the one that loved everything and still said no) and told her about the revisions. I'm hoping she'll take a look at the new version, too.
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:01 AM   #5053
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Yeah, I've decided to give myself a day or two to let suggestions steep in my brain. It's embarassing to reject something and then change your mind. Particularly when a spouse is involved...

I'll keep my fingers crossed, even if it affects my keyboard skills. (Right now, I'm fixing -- I hope -- the cursed formatting of my NF bete noire. This doesn't mean it won't spontaneously do something weird. Can you hear my cursing on the other side of the continent?)
Hathor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #5054
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
Wink

Oh my aching ears!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #5055
Hathor

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
I'm also watching a baseball game, which doesn't help
Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #5056
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

That'll be me when the hockey game comes on tonight. ^^
Old 04-12-2012, 01:13 AM   #5057
Hathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
That'll be me when the hockey game comes on tonight. ^^
Yeah, our game is tomorrow. I plan to watch yours, at least some of it. First up will be Penguins/Flyers -- I won't have a fav there. I hope both teams will hit each other silly and get worn out.

Oh nooooo... We have a four-run lead, bottom of the ninth. But we're putting in Rodriguez, our 100-mph, sometimes-in-the-strike-zone reliever. He makes it interesting, always.

Last edited by Hathor; 04-12-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:31 AM   #5058
aoliver
Nocturnal Creature

aoliver is on a distinguished road
Sunday is my big day for rejections. Isn't that sacrelig?
aoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #5059
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Ever want to bury yourself in a deep hole for a week, just so you'd be sure to have some e-mail next time you checked?
Doesnt' work.. not a peep in 7 days. I mean, wtf, you know?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 AM   #5060
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty C. View Post
I just received 4 r's in the last hour.
you lucky, lucky b'stard

(from The Life of Brian, honest)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:28 AM   #5061
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoliver View Post
Sunday is my big day for rejections. Isn't that sacrelig?
It should be
Old 04-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #5062
Nightingale
practical experience, FTW

Nightingale is on a distinguished road
Drachen Jager - thanks for the advice, I've been creeping around this site for a year and a half, wish I had joined sooner. Please don't laugh too hard when I ask this but what is a beta partner?

Quickbread - thanks for the advice, I've had a couple professors read it and done my own version of market analysis by having a small, diverse group (not friends or family) read it and give me feedback which was very helpful. However, it's coming from a reader's/instructor's viewpoint and not from a writer's or agent's viewpoint. I felt the feedback was constructive but I obviously need more LOL!! 7% sucks, no other way to say it.

Thanks so much for the input guys, I need all the help I can get!!
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #5063
Quickbread

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Well, 7% doesn't actually suck too terribly, but I think aiming for 10-15% is about right. This business is so subjective that you can't expect much higher than that for most manuscripts, I think. 7% sounds like your idea has some strength but might not be coming through fully in either the query or the sample pages.

After I graduated from my MFA program, I was shocked by how much harsher agents and editors read work than my peers and professors had, even professors who have rockstar agents and books themselves. It's a really different thing to have industry folks reading your writing than other audiences who are focused on supporting and encouraging you with feedback.

A beta reader is someone with whom you exchange work and offer critiques and advice.

We're all in this together!
Quickbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #5064
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Not even an FR - not even a FEvening@after5PM,R!

I dunno.

I just dunno.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:41 AM   #5065
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

I had a form R. What do I win?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #5066
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had a request last night.

Don't hit me.

Nightingale, as QB said, a beta partner will swap reads with you. It's good to find someone who works for you, so most beta partnerships start with a single chaper, then if both are happy you go from there. I find only about 1 in 4 or 5 go beyond that one chapter swap.

7% is not great, but I had an agent, went through a massive re-write with a good editor's feedback, and I'm only at 14%, though I made some changes to improve the first few pages and that seems to have helped. The query letter is important, but the first five pages are critical. Many agents will read sample pages even if they're just so-so on the query, but they don't get past page 1 or 2 if you don't impress them.

Agent Ann Colette shares some insight into why she rejects or makes requests on query letters most days. It's worth having a look so you can avoid some of the pitfalls.
https://twitter.com/#!/Ann_Collette
Old 04-13-2012, 02:56 AM   #5067
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
I had a form R. What do I win?
a sense of existence in the world.

though if it's an FR, it's only an 80% hit. (SRs are 90%)

edit, will check that out twitter link DR. might be useful

really enjoying the link. she gives 12 sample reasons for rejection every few weeks or so, just scroll down. worth reading.

Last edited by Paul; 04-13-2012 at 04:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #5068
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Form rejection from a form submission. And it's the second one from this publisher for two YAs in the past three weeks. These two YAs are copping about a 75% request rate, so this second rejection comes as a bit of a surprise. The form allowed for the pasting of 10 pages, and those were very strong for both YA titles.

So, dunno about this pub house and what they're exactly looking for. Both premises have been tagged unique and very desirable. So, I'm counting this as a double whammy.
Guh.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #5069
Paul
Banned for Trolling

i forgot, today is THURSDAY, or it was. Now it's Friday the 13th!!!1

dum, dum dum....

em,still reading that agent DR gave (eta, finished, very good read, goes back to mid dec 2011), she linked to the link below, not bad

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2012...ld-stop-doing/

Last edited by Paul; 04-13-2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 AM   #5070
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
I wrote today. I received no correspondence. I mopped floors and went for a run. Now I must make dinner for my kids. My husband is in Whistler.

I need a vacation.
pollymilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:03 AM   #5071
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got nothing today too.

Are all the agents just getting ready for London or what? It's been dead quiet for a week now.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:16 AM   #5072
narmowen
Lost in the woods

narmowen is on a distinguished road
I just four rejections today. That just made my day. (Okay, made it not so great, but still made it something.)

Shimmer: YA post-apocolyptic. 3k and going.

Requests from the Reference Desk
narmowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #5073
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I have no particular reason to post here as I'm not currently querying anything (still editing), but I feel like posting anyway...

So I guess this is the perfect time for one of these:

MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #5074
Quickbread

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Holy crap, mid-April came fast. I didn't realize the London Book Fair was so close. I haven't heard anything since that full rejection last week.

Ah, beautiful, dreamy Whistler. How I love that mountain.

Today, I worked. Am still adjusting to full-time work life. I'm not schedule oriented at all, especially after five years of working from home. Trying to get to an office at 8:30 am every day is weird. I take a lot of cabs because I end up without enough time to ride the train. Still and all, as far as gigs go, it's pretty swell.
Quickbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #5075
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Talking

I love Ann Collette. Not sure why she's following me on twitter, though. She doesn't rep YA. Maybe that's why. I can't be a potential client