Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 AM   #5026
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
This sounds promising, polly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. For all of us, actually.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #5027
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
Unhappy

ARgh. Another rejected partial. This one was so nice, too. She loved the MC (she's adorable) and she liked the concept and my writing. But she doesn't like sports. Well, um...my query letter says the word football quite a few times. That shouldn't have been a surprise. Oh well...here I go again...
Carleree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #5028
Hathor

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
ARgh. Another rejected partial. This one was so nice, too. She loved the MC (she's adorable) and she liked the concept and my writing. But she doesn't like sports. Well, um...my query letter says the word football quite a few times. That shouldn't have been a surprise. Oh well...here I go again...
Sorry. That's the sort of agent reasoning that drives one mad.

Reminds me of a rejection of a full (which I had to send in paper because the agent said it was "too long" for an e-reader) -- agent immediately rejected my book for being too long.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #5029
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Carleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolnessCarleree leaves trails of profuse coolness
It could be worse. She could've hated the main character and my writing like the last agent.

I just hope the agents with the fulls read past the third chapter.

Too long. Pshaw! Don't they read the word-count line in the query?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #5030
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
Booo! Um, YES football! Didn't she read the letter? Well, you're getting there, lady. You're getting there.
Big hugs, a rodgers boy and wine for you.
pollymilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #5031
Hathor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carleree View Post
It could be worse. She could've hated the main character and my writing like the last agent.

I just hope the agents with the fulls read past the third chapter.

Too long. Pshaw! Don't they read the word-count line in the query?
She was a new agent. Maybe she didn't realize how many pages that many words will fill She had to have read the word count, because that's why she said she wanted hard copy. Who knows?

It would have been nice if she could have waited a few days for the rejection, though, so I could have believed she actually read some the book.

Last I checked, she had only one sale reported, so not a major loss. Just like the guy who said he'd "be willing to take this project on," but then I asked questions (like what he'd sold) and he reconsidered. I don't think he's sold anything yet.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #5032
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Wink

Hathor, Boo hiss on both counts.

The agent that hated my first three chapters wrote to me today to say she'd be happy to look at my revisions. So, not a true rejection anymore, it's an R & R. Unfortunately, I don't agree with her suggestions.

I'm going to wait until the agents with my fulls respond. If they all say the same thing, or none of them offers-I'll do the revisions and send it off again. If they offer, well, I won't need to.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #5033
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ever want to bury yourself in a deep hole for a week, just so you'd be sure to have some e-mail next time you checked?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #5034
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Ever want to bury yourself in a deep hole for a week, just so you'd be sure to have some e-mail next time you checked?
Yup.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #5035
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Beckstah is a shiny, shiny jewelBeckstah is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Ugh, definitely.
Beckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 AM   #5036
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
I have no news. But I have a new story: http://baellings.wordpress.com/2012/...empered-queen/
Old 04-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #5037
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Wink

I love your blog, polly. Love. It.

Last edited by Carleree; 04-11-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:54 AM   #5038
pollymilton
please hold....

oh shucks, honey.

The first drama school story set off a personal shitstorm, but I'm going forward. We need to get a virtual drink together.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #5039
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollymilton View Post
oh shucks, honey.

The first drama school story set off a personal shitstorm, but I'm going forward. We need to get a virtual drink together.
Keep writing. I need to be entertained
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 AM   #5040
pollymilton
please hold....

oh no worries. Obvs. I can take it!
Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #5041
flapperphilosopher
practical experience, FTW

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
I just sent out my first batch of queries yesterday and got my first rejection today!!! Yayyyy!!! I feel like such a Real Writer.
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #5042
Nightingale

Nightingale is on a distinguished road
I'm beginning to think it's some kind of sick, twisted, rite of passage to be rejected almost as quickly as you hit send. I'm up to 97 rejections, endured the false hope of 6 requests for partials and 1 request for full only to receive a form letter with, "I just didn't feel compelled to keep turning the pages," scrawled across the top. Can we say, "Ouch!"? Yeah, not the four letter word I used but you get the drift. Hang in there, keep trudging through the mounds of rejections, don't give up, you're definitely not alone
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #5043
Drachen Jager

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Real Writer is a trademark of Disney Inc. You'll have to pay the royalty if you wish to keep using the term.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM   #5044
Drachen Jager

Nightingale, you should try to hit the 50 post mark before querying too much further. Check your query letter and first pages in Share Your Work, people there are pretty good at picking up on problems.

There's a forum here for finding a beta partner too.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #5045
flapperphilosopher

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
Hahah, damn Disney! Can I sneak by with Proper Writer? :P

Anyway, woohoo, TWO today! This one was just sent at 9:21 Mountain time... I think the agent's in New York, where it's 11-something what is she doing up? Haha. It was personalized-ish, actually-- included the title of my book, and that the pages hadn't hooked her as much as she'd hoped, which at least implies the query letter interested her in having a look at the pages, yes? So, cool!
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #5046
Quickbread

Quickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of lightQuickbread is a glorious beacon of light
Polly, I loved your blog entry, too. Glad you're moving forward despite any shitstorms.

Flapperphilosopher, welcome and congrats on the rite of passage. Here's hoping for some manuscript requests in the bunch.

Nightingale, I know the numbers can be frustrating. DJ has some sage advice. Consider putting your query and manuscript through some readers before you burn through too many agents. A 7% request rate sounds a little low. Maybe there's an opportunity to spruce things up a bit more.

I'm approaching a similar number of queries, broken up over several rounds of major revisions to both my query and manuscript. My request rate is much higher than the last time around, so I can tell that the revisions are working much better. Plus the feedback on rejections is getting more personalized and positive.
Quickbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #5047
Hathor

I'm feeling good. Didn't do any writing related stuff during the day yesterday -- rather caught up on my physical inbox, did actual housework (it was getting so bad around here I wanted to do it ), worked in the garden, and took a long walk along the canal near my house. Then last night I watched a thumping good Nats victory.

While I watched the game, I searched for publishers for books about education. Hey ho, I found a significant number of possibilities. (Google IS my friend.) So I don't have to laboriously go a long list of small publishers and see, "Would this place publish a book about education? No...how about this one?" And I don't have to give up my plans for world domination yet. I have many more rejections to go before I do that.

Oh, sorry, polly. You are the one who wants world domination. Maybe we can dominate on alternate days.

Or divide the world, choose different spheres of life to dominate, etc. I would like to dominate choice of landscaping. First act, neighbors with dead trees threatening to fall down on my property have to get rid of them. Second, neighbors who lose (or take out) trees, bushes, etc. must replace them with something other than grass or weeds. Third, those with yards full of invasive weeds (thinking of you, my dear next door neighbor) are required to get rid of them. I feel bossy when I work in my yard.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:55 PM   #5048
pollymilton
please hold....

Let's just say life is complicated, and love can last a long time. When we all get together for drinks, I'll tell you. You guys! Thanks for reading my blog! I don't want to blog about writing, because so many people do that better than me.

Also, agent on phone consult says "the Remedy" isn't evocative enough. How about "The Wedding Thieves"? I like it!

Quickbread, you are getting sooooo close.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 PM   #5049
Matty C.
Lost in the Ninth Sector

Matty C. is on a distinguished road
I just received 4 r's in the last hour. I'm going to go throw up now. Ugh.
Matty C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #5050
Carleree
Queen of Catastrophes

Polly-love the new title!

Matty-hug. I feel your pain. We've all had days like that.