Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #3351
JEQ
practical experience, FTW

JEQ has a spectacular aura
It's not dumb. No writer could help getting his hopes up after a full request. I really hope you get a rep offer.
JEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #3352
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
Drachen,
It's OK to get your hopes up - it means you're human (or ARE you?). And then we will celebrate with you if the news is good, and support you if it's a rejection.
Polly
pollymilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:34 AM   #3353
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just got a rejection but at least it wasn't on the partial.

My dog can say "I love you."
Devil Ledbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 PM   #3354
Drachen Jager
Professor of applied misanthropy

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Does anyone else feel intimidated, and therefore procrastinate, on sending queries to 'top' agents? Sometimes I feel like I should just be searching out the new agents who are building their lists, but I guess you never know.
Drachen Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 AM   #3355
JEQ

In a word, no. It didn't matter to me if the agent was a long-time vet or somebody new. The results, for the most part, were the same. Mostly Rs or the silent treatment. I sent out 37 new queries last week and so far received six R.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 AM   #3356
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes for me. There are agents that I would love, or agencies that I admire, but I haven't sent them a stitch...
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #3357
Carrie-Anne
figuring it all out

Carrie-Anne is on a distinguished road
I got a rejection the other day for the book I'd been querying before turning my focus back to my Russian novel. I'd already written it off as a rejection because it had been longer than the time specified on the agency's website, so I wasn't surprised. At least it was a more personalized rejection than most.
Carrie-Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:21 AM   #3358
Devil Ledbetter

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Does anyone else feel intimidated, and therefore procrastinate, on sending queries to 'top' agents? Sometimes I feel like I should just be searching out the new agents who are building their lists, but I guess you never know.
Yes, but my brilliant critique partner made a great suggestion: query from the bottom of your list up, that way your prime agents will end up with a well-honed version of your query. We always think they're honed when we send them out, but through rejection, we learn.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #3359
Drachen Jager

Drachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDrachen Jager is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's what I find too Devil. Though I always throw a couple of good agents in the mix, just in case someone I'm on the fence about offers.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:14 AM   #3360
pollymilton
please hold....

pollymilton is a glorious beacon of lightpollymilton is a glorious beacon of light
Yup, I do. I feel like I don't want to use them all up.
Off subject, I nudged the jr. agent at WME who has had my manu for 3 months today. And her answer was....no answer. Couldn't you just email and say like Catherine Drayton "Sorry, this isn't for me"?
Grump, grump, grrr. I'm off to my beach house with Clive Owen now.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #3361
Shining_Garnet
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Shining_Garnet is on a distinguished road
I got my first rejection today from the Threepenny Review. I submitted a poetry manuscript of four Poems. I got an e-mail today letting me know that they wouldn't be able to use any of my poems.

I was disappointed, but I'm already looking for another place to submit my poems. I'm not going to give up. I know some place will accept my writing.
Shining_Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:34 AM   #3362
Devil Ledbetter

Quote:
That's what I find too Devil. Though I always throw a couple of good agents in the mix, just in case someone I'm on the fence about offers.
All those I query are "good," but some are stellar. Yes, stellar agents should go into the mix, but if I don't query them all first I can maintain that delicate balance of hope and despair that makes continuing the process possible.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 AM   #3363
sharonsharon

sharonsharon is on a distinguished road
polly I agree. I sent a manuscript to an agency through a recommendation- three months and no answer so I wrote them to ask- I have nothing to lose anyway.
sharonsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:52 AM   #3364
Drachen Jager

I think I may have finally nailed this whole query writing thing. After working like a madman to get the full fixed for the full request I was talking about earlier I decided to re-work my query yesterday and send out another dozen today. The first just came back and it's another full.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #3365
JEQ

Way to go, Drachen. It's sounding like you're heading in the right direction. Keep that momentum going!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #3366
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That is great news DJ!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #3367
Devil Ledbetter

Quote:
I think I may have finally nailed this whole query writing thing. After working like a madman to get the full fixed for the full request I was talking about earlier I decided to re-work my query yesterday and send out another dozen today. The first just came back and it's another full.
Yay!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #3368
pollymilton
please hold....

WOOT!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #3369
Drachen Jager

Wow, sorry to interrupt with more good news, I just got the second response and it's a 50 page partial!

Sydney, if this doesn't work out I expect a bar-stool with my name on it so I can drown my sorrows.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:20 AM   #3370
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

It will, but I've got one handy to be safe. Tequila or bourbon?
Old 06-02-2011, 12:22 AM   #3371
JEQ

So basically you have two standing full requests and now another 50-page partial. Now that's pretty good. Something's got to give here.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 AM   #3372
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Looking promising, DJ.

I heard today from the agent who received my proposal a couple weeks ago. It was another one of those "not the way the book is now, but if you are willing to revise..." responses. I told her I'd let her know after I get back from vacation in mid-June. (Not a big vacation -- but I need to escape. The US Open will be held two miles from my house.)

At least, this is another agent willing to talk to me on the phone about my book. So I can tell myself that it isn't a complete nonstarter.

I've been going through the archives of the Author! Author! blog. Lots of interesting stuff on there. For instance, I read it is expected etiquette to let agents know that other agents are looking at your work. Doing so may also lead them to review your work quicker. I emailed the others this morning. We'll see.
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #3373
Windcutter
starry sunrise

Windcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I'm probably doing it the wrong way but I often feel the urge to start from the top. It's like "what if Good Agent likes it, but I'd always ask myself whether Amazing Agent would have loved it". I know you can take some time considering an offer and nudge others, but I rarely hear of success coming this way. I mean, when people write to their top agents saying "hi, such and such wants to represent me, but here's my query for you", agents tend to shrug and wish them good luck.
Windcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:59 AM   #3374
Drachen Jager

I started with a mix, purposely avoiding the really top agents. I didn't want to be stuck with someone I wasn't 100% happy with if it got picked up right away.

The thing is, Devil Ledbetter has it right, queries and sample material are "finished" at the beginning of the query process, but they get improved through the process and you want to put your best foot forward for the best agents. I've been querying for two months and looking back I think I would reject my own first offering.

Oh and Sydney, I think I'll start with tequilla and work my way into the burbon when you run out of cactus juice.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #3375
Hathor
Goddess of Rationalization

Hathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to beholdHathor is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcutter View Post
I know you can take some time considering an offer and nudge others, but I rarely hear of success coming this way. I mean, when people write to their top agents saying "hi, such and such wants to represent me, but here's my query for you", agents tend to shrug and wish them good luck.
I don't think it would work for a query. However, someone who used to hang out on this board got her dream agent (who'd had a full for a long time) to quickly -- and positively -- respond once notified of another offer.

What I was referring to in my last post was letting people with your submissions know that you have submissions out with others, also.

I've had one response since my emails. An agent who's had my proposal since last July said, "Thanks, let me know if someone makes an offer." So...she won't look at my proposal until someone else wants the book? She's conflicted about the book, but someone else wanting it would push her off the fence?
Hathor is offline   Reply With Quote