Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Mystery/Thriller/Suspense
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

Location: In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasis of Austin.
MarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerac View Post
Aren't you an agented and published author? With an ongoing series and a true crime book under your belt (I thought you were). When my publisher said "No" to a new series I was working on, I simply promised them that I would continue with the series they were publishing IF they would take a chance on at least the first book of the new series. They wouldn't so I found a new publisher for series #2, with my original publisher's blessing (and some contractual negotiation and repeated promises to keep to the deadlines for series #1) since it was their decision. That's what I might suggest for you since you seem to be in a similar pickle.
No, I got close. Had an agent for a true crime book but the subject (it was a bio) essentially backed out. That agent didn't want my fiction but I found one who did, but so far I'm not published. Yet.

MarkEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:26 AM   #27
Bergerac
Reading & Writing

Bergerac is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEsq View Post
No, I got close. Had an agent for a true crime book but the subject (it was a bio) essentially backed out. That agent didn't want my fiction but I found one who did, but so far I'm not published. Yet.
Ouch: subjects who get cold feet are maddening. At least you've got an agent on your side -- that's more than half the battle.
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #28
Ruv Draba
Banned

Ruv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
Mama Jude, Ruv is trying to murder me again.
If ain't twoo wuv 'till it's got stalking and a gun.
Ruv Draba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #29
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mawwaige...mawwaige is what bwings us togetha today.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #30
Midnight Star
We are once in a lifetime.

Midnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Why does it seem like every thread we have on here turns into a house of craziness?

And people say that mystery authors are dark, disturbed people. Psssh.

WIPs

Perfect - 17k
Weakness - 5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad_b View Post
You are a Star, after all.
Midnight Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #31
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Uh....you killed my father. Prepare to die?

Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 PM   #32
Midnight Star

Midnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnight Star is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

I must be missing something here...

WIPs

Perfect - 17k
Weakness - 5k

Quote:
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #33
kaitie

Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!*

*warning...Kaitie can do this all day.

Last edited by kaitie; 04-07-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #34
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let's do our amoking elsewhere, shall we?

I'd like for this to be a thread where we can talk about our troubles with writing and publishing.

Speaking of, I'm hearing from several of us (this includes me, and yes, I do talk to myself!) that we're not writing because we're discouraged, whether it's over agents, publishers, or betas and the neverending "show don't tell" debate. So we kind of grind to a halt. Lose a little bit of the creativity.

I'm sure you've seen the advice "Write every day! Even if you don't feel like it!" My question to you is, what do you think about that advice? Is it helpful?

It makes me feel like a slug. Some days I'm just not feeling it. Some days I'm doing my plot and/or characters more harm than good by paying attention to them.

This might sound like heresy, but I think that some days it's okay to not write.

What do you say?
heyjude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:06 PM   #35
kaitie

Uhh....Ruv started it! (kinda...sorta...) and uh...I was keeping it on topic! See, I went back to talking about murder! Anyway Kaitie will be good and run amok in the other amok running thread.

And I disagree with the write every day rule. I try to, but sometimes I need to sit down and figure out something specific, and trying to force myself to write through it only makes it worse. I'm self-motivated enough that I can finish a work without having to set a rule like that, personally.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
Enzo
practical experience, FTW

Enzo has a spectacular auraEnzo has a spectacular aura
I do my best to write every day but there will always be days when you're down. Most days I do three types of writing: a WIP (right now, that's a script for Script Frenzy), loose ideas and notes while I'm sitting in a restaurant waiting for the dish to arrive, and writing at the office for work - which is non-fiction but brings in the cash. So I guess, yes, I write every day but it can take many forms.
Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:43 PM   #37
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

MarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarkEsq is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So far I have always felt like writing, every day, every hour of the day, so I've never had to force myself. But I'm one of those discouraged souls right now and I've not put down a word for a week. I'm starting to wonder if I should force myself now, but I always find something else to do. I hate the idea that writing will become a chore. Me no likey chores.

But, and feel free to adopt this suggestion, I am trying to relieve my surliness in other ways. (a) lots of spankings, (b) LOTS of exercise. I've worked out every day this week and feel my mood lifting a little. (c) lots of AW hugs.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM   #38
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

heyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsheyjude is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I second all three of those.

AND I just managed to write a little snippet. So Mama is happy.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #39
DocBrown
Hopes to one day write for food.

DocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admirationDocBrown has earned our admiration
I think of it more as writing every day I am capable of it.

Sometimes, I'm busy and can't write, but I also think it is perfectly acceptable to let the batteries recharge by taking a week or even a month off.

Whatever keeps you motivated the best/most over the long haul.
In an impactful way
While knowing they impact nothing!

My Obligatory Blog: http://trickbrown.com
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #40
milly
seeing sparks

milly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmilly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This has been very helpful and much needed. Thanks again!!
milly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:43 PM   #41
Midnight Star

I can never take too much time of. It drives me insane when I'm not writing. I have to write at least every other day.

WIPs

Perfect - 17k
Weakness - 5k

Quote:
Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #42
Spring
Little Miss Sunshine

Spring is a shiny, shiny jewelSpring is a shiny, shiny jewel
Thanks for this thread!
Spring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:24 AM   #43
Ruv Draba
Banned

Ruv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRuv Draba is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay, well-behaved (or perhaps it's just better-behaved) Ruv. Back on-topic:

Imagination is a blessing to writers, but idealism is a curse. I've been involved in critique groups for years, and while some harsh critique can ruffle feathers sometimes, I think that most writers learn to be fairly robust about that. But one's own idealism is perhaps the hardest thing a writer ever has to face. The story has to be this good this time; writing has to be this easy this time. I have to sell this much this time. If it was a parent doing it to a child, you'd want to slap them silly, wouldn't you?

What you'd tell a child isn't: you must achieve this. You'd say: here's what you learned last time, huzzah! Here's how you should try this time. Do your best. That's all.

Regarding days when we 'don't write', I'm not entirely sure what that means. Author and teacher Jim van Pelt says that a writer needs three things: a felicity with language, the power to observe and something to say. There are certainly days when I can find nothing worth saying, but I can't think of a day when I can't delight in language, or observe something interesting, or think about what I might want to say tomorrow.

Those may not be writing days, but they are writer days -- days of learning, reflection and thought -- and I think they're just as important.
Ruv Draba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 AM   #44
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruv Draba View Post
Imagination is a blessing to writers, but idealism is a curse. I've been involved in critique groups for years, and while some harsh critique can ruffle feathers sometimes, I think that most writers learn to be fairly robust about that. But one's own idealism is perhaps the hardest thing a writer ever has to face. The story has to be this good this time; writing has to be this easy this time. I have to sell this much this time. If it was a parent doing it to a child, you'd want to slap them silly, wouldn't you?

What you'd tell a child isn't: you must achieve this. You'd say: here's what you learned last time, huzzah! Here's how you should try this time. Do your best. That's all.
Excellent point.

Quote:
Regarding days when we 'don't write', I'm not entirely sure what that means. Author and teacher Jim van Pelt says that a writer needs three things: a felicity with language, the power to observe and something to say. There are certainly days when I can find nothing worth saying, but I can't think of a day when I can't delight in language, or observe something interesting, or think about what I might want to say tomorrow.

Those may not be writing days, but they are writer days -- days of learning, reflection and thought -- and I think they're just as important.
And another excellent point. I'm prone to procrastination and work best when I have a consistent writing schedule, but I also don't feel beholden to "write every day." Some days I need to dedicate to ruminating.
Old 04-08-2010, 01:27 AM   #45
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruv Draba View Post
. . .

There are certainly days when I can find nothing worth saying, but I can't think of a day when I can't delight in language, or observe something interesting, or think about what I might want to say tomorrow.

I like this very much.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #46
kaitie

I just wanted to add that I do notice, however, that if life just keeps me away from writing for a couple of weeks (or longer, I've gone through dry spells before, or gosh like my six months of editing I did on the last story) when I don't get to write, and when I go back and finally do it again, I'm amazed at how much I missed it. Writing itself is such a good feeling, and such a good stress reliever. Sometimes when I don't do it for awhile, I forget how much I love it.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #47
Namatu
Lost in mental space.

Namatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNamatu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude View Post
Speaking of, I'm hearing from several of us (this includes me, and yes, I do talk to myself!) that we're not writing because we're discouraged, whether it's over agents, publishers, or betas and the neverending "show don't tell" debate. So we kind of grind to a halt. Lose a little bit of the creativity.
One of the things that hangs me up at times is that "I'm writing a book." It's a book. It's a whole big plot filled with a gazillion details I have to make up and I'm taking it seriously. Sometimes that's too much pressure. When that happens, I'm trying to cultivate turning to a "just for fun" story to keep me writing. I don't acknowledge it as a book or even as anything that has to make sense. It's only for fun. I can blow up the world in chapter 1 and it can exist again in chapter 3 like nothing happened. Having the fun story doesn't keep me writing every day (I rarely do), but it gives me a backup when my WIP's in the doldrums, something to dig into without any feelings of responsibility. Maybe we should start a crazy prompt thread that people can go to for fun ideas (mine was given to me after I whined about needing something else to write).
Old 04-08-2010, 08:18 PM   #48
kaitie

I feel a little bit like that when I first get started. Not so much over the plot and everything, but I have a hard time beginning things. It takes me a bit to get the feel of it and be comfortable and settle into it. I start wondering if I'll be able to pull it off, if that makes sense? But once I get settled in, it gets easier and I always fall in love.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:30 PM   #49
heyjude
Making my own sunshine
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namatu View Post
Maybe we should start a crazy prompt thread that people can go to for fun ideas (mine was given to me after I whined about needing something else to write).
We have a whole room for that. I'd love it if one of us started an MTS idea prompt. Let us know if you do!

for everyone. Mama needs one today.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #50
kaitie

Aaaw. *Hugs* for Jude. And anyone else who needs one. I do think that it would be fun to have a prompt thread.