Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Short Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
Shadow_Ferret
They see me rollin', they hatin'

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Question I probably should know the answer to

OK. When I email a submission, I include a short few paragraphs stating: "here's my story for mag. It's so many words. Hope you like it. Blah blah."

But that's the nature of sending something through email. You need to put SOMETHING there or they just get this blank email with an attachment.

Now I'm doing some snail mail submissions and it's been YEARS (let's not say how many) since I did it this way.

In the olden days, a cover letter was sort of just good manners. Same nonsense, "Hi. Here's my story. It's so many words. Hope you like it."

But then in the olden days, in the Submission Guidelines they required a cover letter in most cases.

I'm noticing no one says anything about a cover letter (at least the ones I'm sending it to). Should I just send the story with no introduction or is a cover letter still good manners?

Thanks.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always send a cover letter with paper submissions. For the sake of one sheet of paper, I don't see it hurts.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I still enclose a very short cover letter unless they specifically say not to. (Not many do.)

Maryn, wondering if there's any coffee anywhere
Maryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
Chris P
Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred

Chris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChris P is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I include a cover letter. An attachment with no text in the email body looks like a virus.

Resingled Querying!
Nyasaland Off to betas. PM me if you'd like to help a guy out.
WIP: WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 41,000 words.

Write on, Brother! (blog)
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
DeleyanLee
Writing Anarchist

DeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDeleyanLee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's still good manners.

Flamechild, the first anthology in the Children of the Vortex series, is now available here.
Stonechild is a free intro story to the Children of the Vortex series, now available here
DeleyanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
I always include a cover letter whether it's a snail mail sub or an e-sub. Seems like the professional thing to do.

Lydia Sharp, author and editor
Blog | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest

Lydia Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
greatfish
practical experience, FTW

greatfish is on a distinguished road
You want that cover letter to convince them you're a professional who knows what they're doing, that way the editor might keep reading just a little bit further if they aren't impressed with that first page.
greatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #8
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The only thing a cover letter accomplishes is letting an editor know whether you have something to say. Namely, credits. A cover letter either says you have credits, in which case it means the editor is going to start reading the story with a better attitude, or it says blah, blah, blah, which tells the editor you have no credits.

No cover letter tells an editor exactly the same thing, but it means he doesn't have to read a blah, blah, blah paragraph or two before getting to the story.

If you have credits, a cover letter is a must. If you have no credits, it really doesn't matter in the least. Credits are why editors ask for a cover letter. They know you'll mention any you have, and no mention means you have none.

But no editor ever bought a story because of a cover letter, or rejected one because of lack of a cover letter.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Dungeon Geek
Science, for the sake of...science!

Dungeon Geek is on a distinguished road
Yo, I wouldn't leave a totally blank e-mail. Say something like: Here's my 3000 word story "Werewolf Poodle Versus Vampire Shitsu" for your consideration. If you publish me I'll buy you a beer. And thanks for your time.

*Note: Leave the beer part out. I was trying to be funny.
Dungeon Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post
But no editor ever bought a story because of a cover letter, or rejected one because of lack of a cover letter.
Unless their guidelines specifically state that a cover letter must be included. Those guidelines are rare, but i have seen them. Usually they're if the magazine wants a brief bio, or a short description of the story (i've only seen that once and it put me off subbing there), or something else specific.

Last edited by Izz; 04-06-2010 at 12:16 PM.
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... always include one myself. I keep them short. Here's my story. And then at the bottom, below the signature, I write 'bio:' and give a brief (2 sentence) overview of my publishing credits. Since my stories are of a humorous nature, one other thing I do is stick a humorous aside somewhere in the letter. Lately, I've come up with a generic one that I've been including with all my subs. Will keep using it till it goes stale. Just about has. G'luck.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
moblues
Banned

moblues has a double-platinum reputationmoblues has a double-platinum reputationmoblues has a double-platinum reputationmoblues has a double-platinum reputationmoblues has a double-platinum reputationmoblues has a double-platinum reputationmoblues has a double-platinum reputation
Yes. Always send a cover letter. The most important reason is this:

Research which agents or publishers accept submissions for your genre. You want to address your submission to these persons. It shows you did your research. That you know what the agent or firm does. This means a lot more than you may imagine.

Good luck.

Mike

Last edited by moblues; 04-07-2010 at 09:44 AM.
moblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
johnnysannie
Seanachie

johnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesaritchie View Post

That's most likely quite true but -

the cover letter can also interest that editor to read more. Long before I had short fiction credits to name, I listed what was pertinent. If you work in broadcast media - as I did when I first began freelancing - it's worth a mention. It says "hey, I'm a professional and maybe I know just a little more than the average joe sending you a story". When my non-fiction credits were more impressive than my short fiction credits, I sometimes listed a couple of the big, national level ones for the same reason.

Now I have way too many fiction credits to list so I select some of the more respected and/or well known ones.

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy - Romance Author

Ms. Murphy's portrayal of a bitter, deeply wounded Marine was gripping and totally believable. I cried with him, felt his shame, felt his sorrow. Bravo, Ms. Murphy!
http://www.amazon.com/Wills-Way-Lee-...dp/B00HPZTU7M/
!
johnnysannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
Shadow_Ferret
They see me rollin', they hatin'

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeon Geek View Post
Yo, I wouldn't leave a totally blank e-mail.
I would NEVER leave an email blank. Maybe I stated it badly, but I DO include a cover letter for EMAILS.

I was wondering protocol for SNAILMAIL.

Thanks everyone.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
Dungeon Geek
Science, for the sake of...science!

Dungeon Geek is on a distinguished road
For snail mail, if you have no published credits, definitely just send the manuscript with your contact info on page 1. Trust me--the edtitor probably doesn't want to hear about what you like to do in your spare time or what influenced you to write the story. That's just a useless page distracting them from the manuscript.They can ask for that info later--in the forth of a biography--if they like the story. And unlike an e-mail, a physical piece of paper is an annoying obstacle when you see dozens of manuscripts per day, something that the editor might feel obligated to look at and thus it better damn sure be worth his while.

Last edited by Dungeon Geek; 04-07-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Dungeon Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #16
Calypso
New kid, be gentle!

Calypso is on a distinguished road
I always send a short cover letter, even when a journal's guidelines say it's not necessary. (If they specifically say DON'T include one, then obviously I wouldn't, but I don't think I've ever seen this for a snail mail submission.)

I am well aware that the editors care about my actual story more than my cover letter, but I still include one. It feels polite and, yes, it's a way to list my credits so they know I have at least some history of success.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM   #17
pdr
Banned

pdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspdr is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Do...

include a cover letter unless the guidelines specifically say not to. It's polite and can be useful.

It's nice to be able to include a writer's CV but often the editors just ask for 'some information about yourself'.
pdr is offline   Reply With Quote