Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > TIO
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
WVWriterGirl
Inked Mom

WVWriterGirl is a splendid one to beholdWVWriterGirl is a splendid one to beholdWVWriterGirl is a splendid one to behold
Question Online Courses

I'm interested in distance learning via the internet. I'd like to get either an associate's or bachelor's degree in either communication, journalism, or English (either in creative writing or as a teacher for primary/secondary schools). I've searched my state universities and colleges (well, most of them) for most of the afternoon, but none that I have looked at can supply an entire degree program done solely online.

Can anyone out there in digital-land suggest an accredited university or college for this type of study?

Thanks guys!

WVWG
Loving Wife and Mommy;
Writer of Fantasy & Horror Novels & Shorts; and a
Person Without a Personal Webpage.
WVWriterGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
jackie106
practical experience, FTW

jackie106 has a spectacular aurajackie106 has a spectacular aura
Be very careful when choosing a program. Some online schools claim to be accredited when they are not.

Is it possible for you to attend a community college and later enroll in one of the state universities? I think that potential employers favor graduates of brick-and-mortar schools.

Jackie
jackie106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:30 AM   #3
WVWriterGirl
Inked Mom

WVWriterGirl is a splendid one to beholdWVWriterGirl is a splendid one to beholdWVWriterGirl is a splendid one to behold
I'm only looking into actual brick-and-mortar schools that offer online programs (like SUNY, WVU, UNC, etc). I know those schools are accredited; that's the sort of program I'm asking advice for - I can't seem to find one at one of my in-state schools (Marshall University offers a general studies AS, but that's as far as I can get locally, that I can find)

WVWG
Loving Wife and Mommy;
Old 08-17-2005, 07:54 AM   #4
Cabinscribe
Often ignored by muses

Cabinscribe is a shiny, shiny jewelCabinscribe is a shiny, shiny jewel
Have you checked out SUNY's Empire State College?

Here's the link:

http://www.esc.edu/esconline/online2.nsf/ESChome.html

I haven't looked at the site thoroughly, but it looks as though you could complete a degree on-line.

Good luck!

Cabinscribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #5
Writer2011
practical experience, FTW

Writer2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished road
WV....I would personally choose UNC because I live in NC...Actually they are a very well-known accredited school and have what you are looking for. Although, WVU and other colleges are equally good...It all depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Writer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
WVWriterGirl
Inked Mom

Cabin - yes, I looked at SUNY shortly after I posted my original 2 messages (and my husband mentioned them). They've become "one of the possibilities".

Aspiring - yep, looked at UNC, too, since I'm an ex-'Eer turned ex-'Heel. I'm going to revisit UNC, too, and look further at their programs.

My parents said they'd help with the cost, but that comes with strings. My mother has family ties to the University of Kentucky, which I'll have to look at, and my dad's a WVU fan, and I (once upon a time) attended Marshall, so those may have to be the limit of my choices...we'll just have to see what pans out. Thanks for the suggestions, guys, and keep'em comin' - the more options, the better!

WVWG
Loving Wife and Mommy;