Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 10:14 PM   #26
Giant Baby
Oh, the humanity.

Giant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for PresidentGiant Baby should run for President
Super quick turn around. Steve Schwartz requested three chapters back in November the day after I queried Sarah Jane Freymann (she'd forwarded it to him). Four days later he requested the full, and ten days after that he rejected with kind comments.

Who the hell is Margaret? -Twizzle

Giant Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:13 PM   #27
kaitiepaige17
Inappropriate smiley INCOMINGGGGGG!

kaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Sarah Jane Freymann??

Hello everyone. I am an entering freshman in college and am currently attempting to get my first novel published. I sent a query letter off to the Sarah Jane Freymann literary agency, and received an email stating that they would be happy to read my synopsis and first 60 pgs for my YA fiction novel. Now, i was wondering if anyone on here was signed with this agency, and if so, how do you like it??

"Love is not an emotion felt by two people, but the joining of one soul that had before been split between two bodies."
kaitiepaige17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #28
kaitiepaige17

kaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudgekaitiepaige17 is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Anyone with Sarah Jane Freymann agency?? (moved from newbies)

Hello everyone. I am an entering freshman in college and am currently attempting to get my first novel published. I sent a query letter off to the Sarah Jane Freymann literary agency, and received an email stating that they would be happy to read my synopsis and first 60 pgs for my YA fiction novel. Now, i was wondering if anyone on here was signed with this agency, and if so, how do you like it??

"Love is not an emotion felt by two people, but the joining of one soul that had before been split between two bodies."
Old 04-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #29
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
Welcome to AW and congratulations on getting a positive response on your first query. you can check out Sarah at AgentQuery.com or you can check her out here at Absolute Write Bewares and Background Checks. Good luck.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #30
regdog
Boston
AW Moderator

regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

You might want to ask a Mod to port this over to Bewares and Backgrounds where you'll get more feedback on the agent

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 AM   #31
cooeedownunder
Grateful for the day

cooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentscooeedownunder is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome

Help raise awareness for my missing sister, Tracey, by joining her facebook page - A Missing Person

FACEBOOK Blog Goodreads
------------------------------------

A Woman Transported Kindle

Unforgivable Kindle
cooeedownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:20 AM   #32
Madisonwrites
The Unicorn Writer

Madisonwrites is a shiny, shiny jewelMadisonwrites is a shiny, shiny jewel

http://madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com -- It's got a new look! Come visit!

"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." --Richard Bach
Madisonwrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM   #33
CACTUSWENDY
An old, sappy, and happy one.
Requiescat In Pace

CACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

Posted on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com

Don't forget to give a buck or two towards the Number One writing site online.

You are only a shadow standing in your own sunshine.[/SIZE]
CACTUSWENDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #34
Nickie
Not too old to learn

Nickie is a glorious beacon of lightNickie is a glorious beacon of light
I wouldn't know about that agency, but welcome to AW!

Nickie
Nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #35
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Moved to B&BC

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts -- you won't believe how random this is gonna get.

I am now tweeting at @JedCullan
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #36
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
http://www.sarahjanefreymann.com/

Client list, she's been an agent since the 70s so she's no newbie. Looks like a good agency, good luck!
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #37
kaitiepaige17

Sarah Jane Freymann Agency

Anyone have info?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #38
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Or here (her agency's website)

Or here on agentquery.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG

Last edited by stormie; 04-20-2009 at 10:46 PM.
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #39
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitiepaige17 View Post
Anyone have info?
Kaitie, this is the third time you've asked about them and have been merged into the existing thread. Please check the Index before you post new threads. Thank you.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #40
Vermilion
Sleepless in Asia

Vermilion is on a distinguished road
In case anyone's interested in the timeline -
I e-queried Ms. Katharine on May 7th and received a request for first 3 chapters on May 29th.
Vermilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:58 AM   #41
Anonymissy
not so anonymous

Anonymissy is well-respected
Here 's my timeline:

e-Queried: 5/9/09
e-mail request for synopsis and first 60 pp (plus SASE) via mail: 5/11/09 (from Jessica Sinsheimer, SJF's assistant, and a real gem -- responsive, friendly e-mails)
First 60 pp, etc. mailed: 5/12/09
Rejection via e-mail (complimentary, but still....): 5/20/09

Except for the R, this was pretty much the perfect query experience.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one. Mark Twain
Anonymissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
claire
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

claire is on a distinguished road
queried via email: 5/28/09
received acknowledgement of receipt: 5/28/09
received request for 60 pages and synopsis: 5/29/09
sent material: 6/1/09
received note that partial was enjoyed and has been passed on to Ms. Freymann: 6/3/09

The emails have been very nice and not generic responses, and the time frame very quick. Whether the process goes further, we shall see, but overall what a wonderful query experience!
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #43
fairy86
Loose on the internet!

fairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post
received note that partial was enjoyed and has been passed on to Ms. Freymann: 6/3/09

The emails have been very nice and not generic responses, and the time frame very quick. Whether the process goes further, we shall see, but overall what a wonderful query experience!
That sounds awesome, Claire. I sent my partial on 6/1 also.

INTOXICATE: Starting over. Fun times, folks. Fun times.

Yeah, I've gone crazy: Enter to Win a Kindle!
My Twitter
fairy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #44
Juneluv12
Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants

Juneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJuneluv12 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by claire View Post

So, you guys have been getting acknowledgement receipts? I didn't, so I was wondering!

JtBH: YA Contemp: Agented

"Without the bitter, baby, the sweet just ain't as sweet."--Vanilla Sky
Juneluv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #45
Anonymissy
not so anonymous

Anonymissy is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juneluv12 View Post
So, you guys have been getting acknowledgement receipts? I didn't, so I was wondering!
June, Although I didn't note it in my response, I did receive an acknowledgement receipt. You might want to re-send your query.

The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex, overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one. Mark Twain
Anonymissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:10 AM   #46
J. M. Hunter
figuring it all out

J. M. Hunter is on a distinguished road
Jessica Sinsheimer

I queried the Sarah Jane Freyman agency via email on May 9 with my query, synopsis, and a sample. Jessica Sinsheimer contacted me on May 11 - an excellent turnaround time, I thought - and asked for an extended synopsis and more sample pages throught the snail mail. I sent them off to her on the 12th and emailed her to let them know they were in the mail. She emailed me back immediately and thanked me, then on May 20 sent me a very nice, personal rejection email.

I got the impression that the agency, and in particular Jessica Sinsheimer, was very professional and organized. They are listed in the Writers' & Artists' Yearbook 2009 as being founded in 1974. It also says they work in conjunction with Abner Stein in London.

I found a reference to Jessica in particular here: http://www.sbwriters.com/june_agents_editors.php

I hope this helps!

"It's all make believe, isn't it?" - Marilyn Monroe

Complete: Gods Go Begging (Currently Querying)
WIP: The Magnificent Maude (65,000 words so far)
Blog (I'm trying it out): Belles-Lettriste: Uncategorhetorical
J. M. Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #47
Citizen Rob
I'm swell.

Citizen Rob is on a distinguished road
Just a bit of a personal testimonial: I signed with Sarah Jane Freymann back in 2005, and she secured a book deal with St. Martin's Press about a year later. She has been the ultimate professional and is also a very warm person, and she quite simply knows everything there is to know about publishing. In the four years that I have been with her agency, Sarah Jane hasn't disappointed me once, and she has pleasantly surprised me more times than I could ever count.

While Sarah Jane has always represented me, I've had occasion to work with Jessica Sinsheimer from time to time, and she has always struck me as extremely smart and passionate about her work. I'd trust my work in her hands as well, in an instant.

I think it's safe to say that I owe my career as a writer to Sarah Jane and her agency, and I honestly can't imagine that anyone else could have possibly enjoyed a better client/agent experience than I have.
Citizen Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #48
socact
practical experience, FTW

socact is on a distinguished road
Hi guys,

One of the agents at this agency requested a "sample." Should I send the full, an arbitrary partial, send it via e-mail, snail mail? I usually send the full when in doubt, but it seems like they're in the habit of requesting partials. I'm a little confused.

Thanks!
socact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #49
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sample means partial, like the first three-five chapters, or first 50 pp. You can send an email asking how you should send the sample, if it's not noted on the website.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM   #50
J. M. Hunter
figuring it all out

J. M. Hunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by socact View Post
Hi guys,

One of the agents at this agency requested a "sample." Should I send the full, an arbitrary partial, send it via e-mail, snail mail? I usually send the full when in doubt, but it seems like they're in the habit of requesting partials. I'm a little confused.

Thanks!
They requested a sample from me as well, which translated as a synopsis and the first 60 pages.

"It's all make believe, isn't it?" - Marilyn Monroe

Complete: Gods Go Begging (Currently Querying)
WIP: The Magnificent Maude (65,000 words so far)
Blog (I'm trying it out): Belles-Lettriste: Uncategorhetorical
J. M. Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote