Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
the addster
practical experience, FTW

the addster is well-respected
World Book Encyclopedia cost early 1970's?

Can anyone tell me how much a set of World Book Encyclopedias cost in the early 1970's?

Current editions cost apx. $1000.00, inflation calculators give me a cost of $190.00 in 1972.

Seems like I remember my dad bitching that they cost more than that, but I'm not sure, and he can't tell me.

Anybody have any idea?
Old 03-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #2
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd ask them.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
alleycat
Just hanging out.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My parents bought a set sometime in the 1960s. Seems like they were more than $190 then.

Just making a complete guess, but I think in the $400-500 range in the 70s would be in the ballpark. I don't think people buy encyclopedias like they once did (and aren't sold by pushy door-to-door salesmen like they once were), so they probably haven't kept up with the rate of inflation.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-04-2010 at 04:14 AM.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 AM   #4
the addster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCreamEmpress View Post
Tried that, then tried again.

Just tried again with my best voicemail hell avoidance mojo.

I'm on hold.....
Old 03-04-2010, 02:02 AM   #5
johnnysannie
Seanachie

johnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputationjohnnysannie has a golden reputation
My grandparents bought a set for all of the many grandkids to use for research and school, etc. in that time period. I'm thinking it was $500-600, maybe even a bit more.

Lee Ann Sontheimer Murphy - Romance Author

Ms. Murphy's portrayal of a bitter, deeply wounded Marine was gripping and totally believable. I cried with him, felt his shame, felt his sorrow. Bravo, Ms. Murphy!
http://www.amazon.com/Wills-Way-Lee-...dp/B00HPZTU7M/
!
johnnysannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:15 AM   #6
the addster

OK, got it.

3 different bindings available in 1972, $315.00 to $520.00.

Thank you, ICEmperess and others.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
RJK
Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:

RJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputationRJK has a golden reputation
I recall a salesman trying to sell me a 24 volume set for $380. You could buy a yearbook (update) for $20 each year. Hard to believe that was the general public's prime source of knowledge back then.
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote