Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #601
Kim Fierce
Attack me with everything you have.

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Kim if you tell me what you want the links to say, and give me permission, I'll fix them for you.
Thanks! If the first link could say Ex This and the second Alternative Conception, that would be great!

Gale had it all written out for me, with spaces so I could see it, but every time I try to do it with no spaces I must be missing something haha. I bet I could look it up somewhere, too.

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain
The Divide, Book 1: Uprising

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
The Divide, Book 2: Unity--3-14!!
Strong Arrow's Warpath--4-14!!
Revolt of the Perfectly Free, paperback short story collection--6-14!!

Last edited by Kim Fierce; 09-17-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Kim Fierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #602
Kim Fierce

Kim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to beholdKim Fierce is a splendid one to behold
[QUOTE=Becca_H;6555104]There are advantages to it. Only a very, very lucky few look passable straight after transition. Most of us had/have the awful purgatory moment where it's obvious we're trans, or sometimes worse than that. And there are horror stories of transwomen going through immigration control and the officers pull them because they "look like a man but dress like a woman and this is a woman's document so this is probably a false passport." Generally very distressing and embarrassing. An 'X' solves that, at least right at the beginning.QUOTE]

I'd been wondering what thoughts would be like on this. My first thought was that a trans person wouldn't want to be an "X", but whichever gender they prefer, M or F. Either that, or no gender distinction at all. But if this will help trans people from being harassed then good going!

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
Old 09-19-2011, 04:22 AM   #603
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca_H View Post
Ta!

While I would imagine that many transgender people would prefer to put the F or M choice that reflects who they identify as, I can see that having people put an X serves as a useful notification to the security-mad airport people and may prevent people who are pre-op transgender or intersex from being targeted for invasive pat-downs.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #604
DancingMaenid
New kid...seven years ago!

DancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admirationDancingMaenid has earned our admiration
I think people should be able to put the gender they identify as (though yeah, there are some practical concerns to that, sometimes). One thing I really like about the "X" option, though, is that it could be really good for those of us who identity as something other than male or female. I can't be honest when there are only two gender options listed, and I wish this became a widespread option, while also allowing binary-identified trans people to put male or female.
DancingMaenid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #605
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Had my first day of a new job today.

So that's Step One complete in my diabolical "Plan to get a proper job, save up for my own place, and then save up for SRS ASAP" plan.

It was less than $100 that I earned today, but at this point in the plan, what I really need is to make a good impression so that I can get more permanent (and more hours) work.

Just thought I'd share. I'm no longer stagnating! I'm on my way! Woohoo!

The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #606
Diana Hignutt
Broken, Lost, and Alone...

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post

So that's Step One complete in my diabolical "Plan to get a proper job, save up for my own place, and then save up for SRS ASAP" plan.

It was less than $100 that I earned today, but at this point in the plan, what I really need is to make a good impression so that I can get more permanent (and more hours) work.

That's great news, my friend!

"Give me the courage to change things that others accept...and the wisdom to understand that everything changes..." - Diana's Anti-Serenity Prayer
Diana Hignutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:18 PM   #607
Becca_H
Where am I again?

Becca_H is well-respected
Quote:

Congratulations

And the UK has just started a consultation on 'X' passports, too. We don't like to be beaten by the Australians, you see.
Becca_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #608
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's the Ashes test series all over again.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #609
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:

Yay!!!

Congrats and *hugs*!
Old 09-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #610
Cliff Face

Thanks.

It's not the most stimulating job, but it's a start.

I assume that if I managed to work my way up this company's ranks I'd wind up doing more than just working the register.

My favourite thing about retail is the variety, and so far I haven't had that. It's only been 2 days, but I've been told that, at least up until Christmas, all I'll be doing is register duties. Of course, there's more than just scanning items and taking money - there's also keeping things stocked near the register, and doing some other small tasks when there's nobody flashing cash in my face. Granted, I haven't been taught how to do that yet...

But like I said - it's only been 2 days.

The staff are heaps friendly, which is a big plus.

*keeps on keeping on*

(Thanks for the support everyone. )
Old 09-23-2011, 12:49 AM   #611
Kim Fierce

Check out my latest column, celebrating the repeal of Don't Ask, Dont Tell!

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/g....php?AID=33876

If you would like to view the whole newspaper, go to windycitytimes.com and download the PDF version of this historic issue!

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
Old 09-24-2011, 05:02 AM   #612
Cliff Face

So I had another dream where I was female.

This time I was getting intimate with the lesbian who I was totally in love with once upon a time, who didn't think of me as a sexual person. It was so validating!

It didn't go any further than a couple of kisses and some general touching, but it felt sooooo damn good.

So I woke up this morning in quite a good mood.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:34 AM   #613
Kim Fierce

I have had dreams of being male . . . :-O

But I am totally female. And lesbian. And right now very confused. I have the awesomeness of having two other lesbians around my age on my shift and another who comes in the shift after. We have all gone to a gay bar together, along with my wife (and brought a couple of straight friends!) and it's really cool. My problem is, other people at work seem to think that I am different from the others. The main reason: I have long hair and they have short. I dress in men's clothes, but also some women's but mostly that is just jeans because I'm too short for men's pants and too round now post-pregnancy for boy's! (I don't wear any of the revealing low cut feminine shirts, prefer T-shirts and etc.)

When I first came out at 18 I ended up chopping all my hair off and everyone thought I was butch then. Now I have long hair and don't "look" gay to everyone anymore, (unless I have a day where I really go all out with eccentric clothing . . .which I do like to do.) So why do other people think it's ok to talk shit about gay people or bi people or someone they think looks more butch than others, and the message seems to be "you're not like those other gay people"? Yes I am! I guess I feel like, just my stupid hair somehow makes me look more "normal" seeming to others, and if that's all it is, and if they really need to know that I am just like others that get teased, maybe I should just shave it all off! I should stop caring about what other people think, but I'm tired of hearing people say things around me that I know they don't say around the others.

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!

Last edited by Kim Fierce; 09-24-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #614
Cliff Face

My advice would be to not change yourself based on what other people say/think.

But it's entirely up to you. If you want to seem more "lesbian" than you currently do, do whatever you think is necessary. But the opinions of others aren't as important as your own opinion.

At least, that's what I tell myself.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:52 PM   #615
night-flyer
flying about searching for cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've never been in here before, but I agree with Cliff. FWIW.

I don't see how short or long hair, or looks in general can be used to decide if someone is gay or not. Being gay doesn't automatically lump you and everyone else that is gay into one person. We are all our own person. With our own looks and thoughts. It would be like saying all heterosexual women have long hair.

I say be who you are and forget what anyone else says. As Cliff said, your opinion is the only one that really matters.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #616
Becca_H
Where am I again?

Society tries its hardest to define "gay" and "straight" with physical characteristics. It's just how society works.

Hair length has no correlation whatsoever to sexuality. I've seen girls with very short hair and general "lesbian looks." They're straight.

If you want long hair, have long hair. It doesn't define your sexuality and you shouldn't allow people to think it does. People like to think they can make judgments and decisions about others. It's only instinctive.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:16 PM   #617
Kim Fierce

I'm not sure what it is that made me so confused about this, just that I've heard several people make negative remarks around me lately and I don't know why. Then they look at me and basically say "Oh, I didn't mean to offend you, I wasn't talking about you, just about all these other people and you aren't like them." But I AM!

But, I think I'm going to go with my original haircut plan, taking it to shoulder-length, and dying it reddish brown!

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!

Last edited by Kim Fierce; 09-24-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:24 PM   #618
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Lewis Black talks about Chaz Bono's appearance on Dancing With the Stars:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/th...ica-s-children

It's in the second half of the video. I love his reaction to the outcry against Chaz.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:20 AM   #619
Cliff Face

That video is unavailable in my region... Grr. Stupid international politics.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #620
Kim Fierce

Soo, I have shoulder length auburn hair now. Screw stupid people! :-D

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #621
Blaze
figuring it all out

Blaze is on a distinguished road
Hi umm there. I am suffering from confusion and not 100% sure if i fit in this group or not. All I know is I am a girl who is in love with things for blokes like cars and football. I LOVE cars. I hope maybe there is way to understand myself and perhaps someone on here could help me understand.

Last edited by Blaze; 09-28-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:35 AM   #622
Kim Fierce

Hi, I'm pretty sure you will be welcomed here no matter what! I wouldn't say liking things guys like is necessarily indicative of anything, but if you feel like you want to hang out here and ask questions go right ahead!

My Web Site
Novels/Short stories:
No Turning Back
Amelia's Revolution
Two-Spirit's Red Road
My Secret Pain

Nadine's Voyage--2-14!!
Old 09-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #623
Cliff Face

Seconded.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #624
Diana Hignutt
Broken, Lost, and Alone...

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
Hi umm there. I am suffering from confusion and not 100% sure if i fit in this group or not. All I know is I am a girl who is in love with things for blokes like cars and football. I LOVE cars. I hope maybe there is way to understand myself and perhaps someone on here could help me understand.
How about just be yourself, search your feelings deeply, don't worry about other's opinions and go from there? And we'll be here to talk to whenever you need.

Welcome.

"Give me the courage to change things that others accept...and the wisdom to understand that everything changes..." - Diana's Anti-Serenity Prayer
Diana Hignutt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:08 PM   #625
Becca_H
Where am I again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Hignutt View Post
How about just be yourself, search your feelings deeply, don't worry about other's opinions and go from there? And we'll be here to talk to whenever you need.

Welcome.
This.

And my advice is: don't try to label yourself. People try too hard to label themselves and it can be damaging. You are you. Labels are optional, if they describe exactly how you feel. They often don't.