Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > QUILTBAG
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 AM   #551
Candystar
(>^_^)> <(^_^<)

Candystar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
I'll choose to be published under the name of "Cate Black," the name I want post-transition.
Cate Black is a beautiful name.

(Didn't have much else to add to this thread, but it's incredibly interesting and thought-provoking to read through)
Candystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #552
Cliff Face
Meet Jill, the goth guitar!

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you. I quite like that name.

Next step is to actually get into the anthology...
The Anger That Drives Me To Heresy
Cliff Face is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #553
Diana Hignutt
Sleuthing Aficionado

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Goodbye for Now...

I'm afraid that circumstances have forced me to come to a decision about the uses of my time.

I have withdrawn my notice at work, and doubled down on my major writing project in my sigline.

Our time grows short. The world is changing. Mostly to ways not to my liking. To my mind, my best contribution to our problems lies in bringing to light, John Dee's 500year-old unified field theory, which will explain the hyperdimensional, vibratory nature of the universe and magick in modern, scientific terms. Dee swore that when his theory was finally understood, everything would change for the better. A golden age for humanity. He was a smart guy.

And, so, I give my leave here. Many won't see it, and that's fine. But, you, my people, you, at least, will know.

We are all mortal people. Death should be our best advisor. It urges me on now. There is no time to wait. Be who you are, do what you must. Don't wait. Tomorrow is no guarrantee.

I'll be gone, but I will always remember you with great love and pride, my friends. Hopefully, I'll be done in a few months, and have the time to return to you. I don't know when, or if, I'll be back. I miss you all already.

Till we meet again. It has been my pleasure and honor to be your friend.

Love,

Diana

"Give me the courage to change things that others accept...and the wisdom to understand that everything changes..." - Diana's Anti-Serenity Prayer

www.lamuseinn.com

WIP: 77K words/First Draft Complete. YAY!
Diana Hignutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:16 AM   #554
Cliff Face

Cliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCliff Face is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I hope you have smooth sailing before you.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 AM   #555
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon should run for PresidentShadow Dragon should run for PresidentShadow Dragon should run for PresidentShadow Dragon should run for PresidentShadow Dragon should run for PresidentShadow Dragon should run for President
Good luck in all Diana.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #556
Becca_H
Where am I again?

Becca_H is well-respected
For any British posters/lurkers, the Government Equalities Office has released their latest newsletter and survey for transgender people:

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publica...-3?view=Binary
Becca_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #557
Cliff Face

Ugh. I'm well and truly sick. Stupid flu.

How're things going with my wonderful tran friends here?

No real news from me. Oh, except that I got a phone call yesterday telling me I now have a job. Don't know when I start or what location I'll be in, but it's a job in retail, which is what I've trained for.

It's a Christmas Casual position - basically they hire a bunch of people to work during the busy season, and then your contract ends January 31st. So it's by no means a permanent position, but it should be good money, and it will mean more chance of getting a more permanent position later.

Old 08-27-2011, 04:38 AM   #558
PsychicToaster
Writing Ninja

PsychicToaster is on a distinguished road
Congratulations on the job! Even temporary work is something right now.

I accidentally went full time yesterday. I was meeting with the LGBTQ coordinator for my school, and it was my first time out in public under my new name and fully presenting. There was nothing that really made me nervous or uncomfortable. It's not like anyone looked at me like some kind of alien or anything. Everyone who had occasion to use pronouns over the course of the day even got my gender right. So, marking it in the win column there.

So how did this accidentally become full time? Well, I had always planned on September 1st as being the day. It was the day before my birthday and I wanted to reach that critical one year mark before my 30th birthday. But once I got home something just clicked and I said, "I'm done with that life."

From now on, I'm Autumn. Always and everywhere. By the end of October it'll be legal, too.

Stories On Sale Now
Mercy Killing the Dragon
The Last Warband

Parts: A Steampunk Tale of Love and Mechanomorphosis

Lewis Mulligan and the Pandemonium Engine - YA Steampunk novel in revision
Root of the First - Fantasy novel in need of an agent
PsychicToaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #559
Cliff Face

Autumn is such a beautiful name!

Also, congrats on going that extra mile. I'm so not there yet, but with the money starting to come in and my prospects looking better by the month, who knows how small a time it'll be before I'm ready to start transitioning?

But yeah - Autumn is a kick-arse name. It even sounds artistic (can't explain it). Like, I can imagine you with a paint brush in your hand talking about your latest painting. Possibly wearing a beret.

Not sure if you like to draw/paint, but it works just as well for an author.

Since your location is Cthulhu et al, I'm not sure where you're from. So I just thought I'd add this: Autumn is what we in Australia call what Americans call Fall. So I totally think you should dye your hair a brown/copper red colour.

(Hmm. I'm sounding pushy. Didn't mean to - just happy for you, mildly delirious from the flu (with extra special bonus toothache) and really diggin' the name.)

/ramble
Old 08-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #560
Mara
Clever User Title

Mara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputationMara has a double-platinum reputation
*hugs Autumn* That's an awesome name, and congrats on going full-time!

*hugs Cate and gives her some chicken noodle soup* Get well soon, and I hope the job goes well.
Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #561
Cliff Face

Thanks.

I'm not normally a fan of soup, but chicken noodle sounds good right now. *digs in*

I think when my health returns, and maybe after I've received my first paycheck from the new job, I'll take my family out for dinner and pay for it myself. I can't count how many times other people in the family have paid for dinner... Usually it's nanna or grandad (same source of money either way), occasionally mum, and sometimes sis. It'll be good to be able to just drop $100+ on the counter and say, "Yeah, I've got this one."

Someone else can buy the drinks. I bought the drinks last time (after I got the temporary job in mum's office).
Old 08-28-2011, 02:46 AM   #562
Cliff Face

Also - it still sounds weird hearing people call me Cate. Good - but weird.

*shrug*

So how's your transition going, Mara?
Old 08-28-2011, 04:23 AM   #563
PsychicToaster
Writing Ninja

Thank you!

And yes, we call it autumn here too. I've just always loved the name so it made it onto the short list.

Strictly speaking, I'm not "ready" for full time, I'm just doing it. I'm emotionally ready, but not physically or sartorially. My face still gets me clocked 90% of the time, and I have one and a half working outfits, so next week I will need to do some power shopping to be ready for school.

I've been gearing up for this moment because of the start of semester in a couple weeks (I keep thinking it's next week but it's not) and finally I had had enough.

Stories On Sale Now
Mercy Killing the Dragon
The Last Warband

Old 08-28-2011, 06:09 AM   #564
Cliff Face

What type of school is it? High School or College/University?

If it's High School, you're a much braver woman than I! Teenagers can be viciously narrow-minded sometimes.

If it's college/Uni, then hopefully you won't get much in the way of negativity. Down here, it seems Uni is where all the QUILTBAG people come out, because they feel safe, like they're among mature adults. Plus there are support structures available. Not sure if it's the same where you are.

I know I came out to a few people when I was in Uni the first time. It was a very comfortable place, to be honest.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #565
kuwisdelu
there is always hope

kuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskuwisdelu is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicToaster View Post
Congratulations on the job! Even temporary work is something right now.

I accidentally went full time yesterday. I was meeting with the LGBTQ coordinator for my school, and it was my first time out in public under my new name and fully presenting. There was nothing that really made me nervous or uncomfortable. It's not like anyone looked at me like some kind of alien or anything. Everyone who had occasion to use pronouns over the course of the day even got my gender right. So, marking it in the win column there.

So how did this accidentally become full time? Well, I had always planned on September 1st as being the day. It was the day before my birthday and I wanted to reach that critical one year mark before my 30th birthday. But once I got home something just clicked and I said, "I'm done with that life."

From now on, I'm Autumn. Always and everywhere. By the end of October it'll be legal, too.
Sounds awesome! Congrats!

Quote:
Since your location is Cthulhu et al, I'm not sure where you're from. So I just thought I'd add this: Autumn is what we in Australia call what Americans call Fall. So I totally think you should dye your hair a brown/copper red colour.
We call it both Autumn and Fall in the US.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #566
Cliff Face

Oh, okay. It's hard to keep up with all the little differences between types of English used in different countries.

I knew that Fall meant Autumn, and that Fall was used in America. And I knew that Australians never call it Fall. So I assumed Americans never called it Autumn.

Interesting.

(Still diggin' that name.)
Old 08-28-2011, 10:57 PM   #567
PsychicToaster
Writing Ninja

College. God, I wish I had done this in HS. Hell, I wish I had done it the first time through undergrad! Sadly, I'm doing this at 28, not 18. But better than never, right?

Stories On Sale Now
Mercy Killing the Dragon
The Last Warband

Old 08-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #568
Becca_H
Where am I again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicToaster View Post
College. God, I wish I had done this in HS. Hell, I wish I had done it the first time through undergrad! Sadly, I'm doing this at 28, not 18. But better than never, right?
Completely. 28's not that old. We all wish we did it sooner, even the child transitioners like me. It's hard not to be jealous of the kids who did it at 11, or 8, or 5, or 3.

I tell you what though: doing it at school is hard. I only survived because I played a hell of a game (and had a lucky break with the kids in my year). I had a lot of tough guy, alpha male 'friends' who made me look 'protected' in exchange for basically being their pet. Also helped the head popular girl liked me. All that plus the dating/loss of friends/gaining new friends/being ripped on for not being a 'real girl'.

So yeah, I wouldn't recommend it. As tempting as the idea sounds.

And all the people who say university's easy - my God, no way. Not for me. The kids were fine. The kids didn't care. The lecturers cared. I had so much transphobia and bullying from the staff aimed at me it was unreal. I encountered two members of staff who were nice to me. That was it. And these people had Doctorates!

Urgh. *Pushes button to forcibly disable rant mode*

Okay, calm now. Congratulations, Autumn Well done for taking the plunge and going full-time. There's never a right time, considering it's like, one of the scariest things you can ever do with your life. I remember my parents and I set a date, too. Something like October 4th. Think we stuck to it, and it helped the nerves. Although people called me Becca well before then so it wasn't that absolute in the end.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #569
Cliff Face

Autumn, 28 is only 1 year older than me. So unless I win the lottery or something, you'll have transitioned at an earlier age than me.

And high five for the mature chicks getting further education! Woo!

Becca, I'm really sorry the lecturers were such jerks to you. I'd expect more from them. *hugs*
Old 08-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #570
PsychicToaster
Writing Ninja

Why would I be a year ahead of you? It sounds like you're already in the process.

Stories On Sale Now
Mercy Killing the Dragon
The Last Warband

Old 08-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #571
Cliff Face

Nah, I don't count myself as transitioning because I'm not taking estrogen yet, and have no money for the operation.

Nobody I currently know in real life knows I'm trans either. I'm still very much in the closet.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:11 AM   #572
Cliff Face

Oh, and what I meant was I'm 27 and you're 28. So you're a year ahead, but you've just gone full time woman, and I can't foresee that happening for me until I've got a bunch of money saved up, and am at least renting my own place instead of living with mum (who might flip out when I come out). So probably 29 at the earliest.

If I can manage it, I'd love to have the operation on my 30th birthday... But that's a distant dream.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:16 AM   #573
Deirdre
practical experience, FTW

Deirdre is a glorious beacon of lightDeirdre is a glorious beacon of lightDeirdre is a glorious beacon of light
Dropping into this thread to say congrats, Autumn!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:30 AM   #574
PsychicToaster
Writing Ninja

Thank you Deirdre! :-D

Stories On Sale Now
Mercy Killing the Dragon
The Last Warband

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #575
Becca_H
Where am I again?

Quote:
Oh, and what I meant was I'm 27 and you're 28. So you're a year ahead, but you've just gone full time woman, and I can't foresee that happening for me until I've got a bunch of money saved up, and am at least renting my own place instead of living with mum (who might flip out when I come out). So probably 29 at the earliest.

If I can manage it, I'd love to have the operation on my 30th birthday... But that's a distant dream.
I thought Australia had social healthcare? Does it not cover gender identity disorder?