Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #1
Chrisla
practical experience, FTW

Chrisla has a spectacular aura
Starting sentences with words ending in "ing"

I have noticed in some critiques that writers are advised not to start many sentences with words that end in "ing."

What's wrong with "Thinking I could save some time, I took the short cut. . ." or "Golfing is his favorite pasttime."?

Can somebody clarify for me? I've never heard this rule before.

Website/Blog: http://christinegeurinphipps.com
Chrisla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think you are talking about starting a sentence off with a gerund, (a verb ending in ing or ed, acting in place of a noun.) Not to be confused with a participle...

Personally, I see nothing wrong, provided you structure the sentence so the gerund has a possessive subject, and done sparingly In your examples...

Thinking I could save some time, I took the short cut home. This is in first person so the "I" following thinking is the possessive subject that is doing the thinking. If I remember correctly

Now had you said... Thinking to save time, I took the short cut home. while it sounds the same, there is no possessive subject before the comma, so who was thinking?

And even that can be argued and thus a reason gerunds opening a sentence are not favored in most cases to start a sentence, because they are improperly used. Over use, even properly also sort of sounds like a list of actions and thus becomes boring.

Of course, I could be wrong about all of this too, as its been a very long time, but hell, I might open the discussion... lol.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
The Lonely One
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputation
Hoping I could answer the question, I entered some text. Editing my post, I continued to enter text. Feeling that this could get annoying if overused, I varied my sentence rhythm.

"There is no language without deceit." -Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Always work at making different mistakes and you'll get there.
The Lonely One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 AM   #4
Chrisla

Okay, I think I get the distinction. I sometimes use these words to begin a sentence simply to avoid another beginning with "I". In future, I'll double-check to make sure I have a subject.

Thanks!

Old 01-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #5
Matera the Mad
And God said, "Let there be Linux!"

Matera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMatera the Mad is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ing-ing too much is the root of all dangling participles
Old 01-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
scigars
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

scigars is on a distinguished road
First, don’t open a sentence with an -ing phrase unless the action occurring in that phrase happens at the same time as the action in the main part of the sentence (or unless you’ve included a word like “after” to clarify the timing). The following sentences don’t work:

Unlocking the door, she left the room.

Walking toward him, she placed her hand along his cheek.

Do you see why? You can’t unlock the door and leave the room at the same time, and it’s highly unlikely that you would be placing your hand on someone’s cheek while walking toward them. Such sentences need to be reworded.

Also, when you start a sentence with a participial phrase, that phrase needs to modify the subject of the main clause. This sentence is also incorrect:

Nearing unconsciousness again, his head slumped forward.

It really isn’t his head that’s nearly unconscious. To make this correct, you’d need to rephrase to say something along the lines of “He neared unconsciousness again, and his head slumped forward.”

I hope this helps someone!
Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
bonitakale

bonitakale is a splendid one to beholdbonitakale is a splendid one to beholdbonitakale is a splendid one to behold
Re-read what scigars said-- it's very clear, and those are the two problems you have to look out for. Either of them can slip up on you because your own picture of what's happening takes over your brain, and you don't realize you've described something different.

Manuscript Line Editing at BKEdits
bonitakale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #8
Libbie
Worst song played on ugliest guitar

Libbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLibbie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matera the Mad View Post
Ing-ing too much is the root of all dangling participles
I've always thought "dangling participle" would be a good euphemism. For -- you know -- naughty bits. Or a good band name.

Man, I have so much to learn about grammar. I'm happy that I seem to have absorbed most of its finer points just by paying attention to what I read, but I have no idea what a dangling participle is, nor have I ever heard anybody say you shouldn't start or end a sentence with an -ing verb. These threads are so informative. Just wanted to share.
Libbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Lady Ice
Makes useful distinctions

Lady Ice should run for PresidentLady Ice should run for PresidentLady Ice should run for PresidentLady Ice should run for PresidentLady Ice should run for PresidentLady Ice should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisla View Post
Okay, I think I get the distinction. I sometimes use these words to begin a sentence simply to avoid another beginning with "I".
That's exactly why they make bad openings; because they sound so forced. It's basically just switching clauses around.
Lady Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
That's exactly why they make bad openings; because they sound so forced. It's basically just switching clauses around.
Exactly. To use participial clause just to avoid using "I" is the wrong reason. It's not organic. There are better ways to write than simply shifting the sentences around. Not to mention it creates too many opportunities for dangling participles or wrong usage (e.g. when the actions are not simultaneous -- the "opening the door, I left the room" type of errors).

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews

Last edited by maestrowork; 01-24-2010 at 10:33 PM.
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:48 PM   #11
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisla View Post
Okay, I think I get the distinction. I sometimes use these words to begin a sentence simply to avoid another beginning with "I".
This in itself is a symptom of a problem: overusing "I". That topic has been discussed on numerous other threads here. But, as has been noted, use of leading participial phrases to compensate for that doesn't really help.

caw
blacbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 AM   #12
Chrisla

Checked out the threads. Slapped forehead, said "duh!" and on my way to find all my "ing" endings and "I" words. Thanks, everybody.