Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #51
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Waiting for the author blurbs was nerve-wracking enough, the reviews are going to kill me.
JJD4: 72,030/80,000
Tasmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #52
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melia View Post
I bet it was terrifying when you found out you had your first review.

*needs to prepare corner to hide in*
It was. I had convinced myself that the author blurbs were flukes and that readers were going to be "eh, whatever" about it. So it was a great relief to be proven wrong.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #53
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, I'd forgotten about author blurbs. My editor keeps asking if I want to make recommendations of people she can contact, but beyond big-name authors for my type of MG fiction (and I don't know any of the authors personally of course), I don't have any ideas.
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #54
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosTitan View Post
It was. I had convinced myself that the author blurbs were flukes and that readers were going to be "eh, whatever" about it. So it was a great relief to be proven wrong.
Speaking of... My MIL loved your book. (you were her very first UF read, she normally sticks to romance and mystery) She was only reading it on her lunch breaks, and said it was killing her to wait and see what happened next.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:24 PM   #55
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmin21 View Post
Speaking of... My MIL loved your book. (you were her very first UF read, she normally sticks to romance and mystery) She was only reading it on her lunch breaks, and said it was killing her to wait and see what happened next.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #56
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When my editor gave me the list of author names they were thinking about contacting, some of them were like, "Okay, you guys do that, and just don't tell me about it if they hate it. M'kay?" I only contacting one writer myself -- big name too but I had a tenuous connection -- and he was incredibly generous with his time and praise.

I think most authors want to help another out.

Reviews though? Gahh...I don't even want to think about it. I'll have to not only hide in my house, I'll have to have someone screen my Google alerts for me.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #57
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jill, if it decides not to rain here today, I may amble on down to the big Santa Monica B&N. Another Purgie tells me she found your book there. The one I went to in MDR really is pretty small. I was also sorta light-headed with hunger, so it's possible I missed it!
Old 01-14-2010, 02:53 AM   #58
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Lisa View Post
I think most authors want to help another out.
I think this is true, as well. I mean, we all started out in the same trenches, right? I can only hope to one day be recognized enough in my genre to be asked to blurb another author.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:04 AM   #59
OL
Still a beach bum...

Oh, say, guess what I got in the mail today? Mwhaha!
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 AM   #60
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

A pet rock?

No?

Damn, I suck at this game.

And just to emphasize how awesome my editor is, she e-mailed today to say that we should have ARCs in mid-March, but if I didn't want to wait that long, she'd see about getting me some kind of bound copy to give to my mom. (I told her March was fine)

I should also have copyedits sometime around the 27th, which works out amazingly well since I took the 28th and 29th off from work (just for mental health days).
Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #61
OL
Still a beach bum...

That would be an ARC. I mean, what I got in the mail.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:20 AM   #62
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

Yay!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 AM   #63
HappyCamper
I lurk, therefore I am

HappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthood
Yay!

Twitterpated
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:17 AM   #64
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

Finished chapter 1 today. Doesn't sound like much, but it's the one chapter I didn't really change between book versions, and it's the one chapter I never could finish before. So I'm pretty pleased with it.

Onward and upward!
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #65
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good for you, Tas! The first chapter is a very important step, one of the most important IMO. Downhill from here on.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #66
Tasmin21
Coming January 21st!

I swear to the gods, if ONE more person says "I get a free copy, right?"* I'm just gonna start kicking people in the teeth.

If you have to ask, then no, you're not getting one. Those entitled to a free copy of my book already know who they are, and they did a helluva lot more work on it than you did.

*Also likely to incite homicidal rage:
"Just give me one of your advance copies when you get them."
"Can't you just e-mail me a copy?"
"Just print it out off your computer."
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #67
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I swear to the gods, if ONE more person says "I get a free copy, right?"* I'm just gonna start kicking people in the teeth.

If you have to ask, then no, you're not getting one. Those entitled to a free copy of my book already know who they are, and they did a helluva lot more work on it than you did.

Oh I know the feeling on this one. Since I've had free-read chapters on the Booksie site, people feel they're entitled to the rest of the book, even knowing that they're teaser chapters. Tas, they can lay down the cabbage for a copy--end of story.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 AM   #68
OL
Still a beach bum...

Hey, but I get a free copy, right?

*ducks*

Just kidding!
Old 01-16-2010, 04:05 AM   #69
madderblue
Beagle Lips.

madderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admiration
Quote:

This! And it doesn't get any better as time goes on. I really don't like the very strained silences where you just know the person is waiting to get offered a free copy.

Love the cover!

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He
madderblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #70
HappyCamper
I lurk, therefore I am

HappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Lisa View Post
Hey, but I get a free copy, right?

*ducks*

Just kidding!
LOL!

Twitterpated
Old 01-16-2010, 04:24 AM   #71
HappyCamper
I lurk, therefore I am

Still waiting for my editorial notes...

Hey guys, how long did it take you guys to get yours? Did it come after the signed contract or before? Thanks!

The waiting never ends...

Twitterpated
Old 01-16-2010, 04:45 AM   #72
OL
Still a beach bum...

Mmmm. In my case, before. The contract actually got lost in the mail at some point (really!) and anyway we were on a kind of tight schedule. I'd have to go back and look to see exactly how long it took (the correspondence is on my other laptop) but I think it is another one of those things that really varies by house and by book.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #73
HappyCamper
I lurk, therefore I am

Thanks Lisa!

Twitterpated
Old 01-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #74
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got my official editor notes today (but she and I talked on the phone last week). The Agent is still negotiating the contract.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:09 AM   #75
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh and *drumroll* The first editing pass is DONE! Now to read a little manga (brain-cleansing) and start the second pass tomorrow morning.