Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #376
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hahah! Lily, I know that particular "eep!" well.

Next you get to freak out about reviews.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #377
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Eep.

My editor asked me if I knew any mystery writers whom I could beg to blurb. Alas, I know UF, fantasy, and YA writers. I did suggest trying to contact J0hn D0minic Cr0ss@n. After, all, what 74yo ex-priest radical theologian NF author *wouldn't* want to blurb a beach read about pr0n pictures, stalkers, and a repressed ex-nun?

She told me she was glad she'd put down her soda before reading that email.

Last edited by Calla Lily; 03-05-2010 at 11:53 PM.
Calla Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #378
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lily, is that the Force of Habit title you're talking about?

tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:05 AM   #379
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yep.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:13 AM   #380
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
Eep.

My editor asked me if I knew any mystery writers whom I could beg to blurb. Alas, I know UF, fantasy, and YA writers. I did suggest trying to contact J0hn D0minic Cr0ss@n. After, all, what 74yo ex-priest radical theologian NF author *wouldn't* want to blurb a beach read about pr0n pictures, stalkers, and a repressed ex-nun?

She told me she was glad she'd put down her soda before reading that email.
Go for broke and list the big ones. For my blurbs I sent in a list of the top middle grade writers and then let my editor and agent make a decision. We'll see if any of the writers agree.

Here's some lists of some bloggers' top 2009 mystery picks.

http://mysteryreadersinc.blogspot.co...ery-lists.html
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #381
phoenix
rising from the ashes

phoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Prelim word is that my title may have to go. There's another book out there (a decade old, but...) with the same title. Oh, well. I always knew it was a possibility. We'll see what the legal types have to say.

ETA: A fellow MIer just emailed to say our editor gave her my book to blurb. But she says she's really enjoying it. Eep.
okay, Lily, you are bursting another bubble of mine. I always thought books were sent out to get blurbs after revisions were done -- is that not true?

And that stinks about your title -- hope it's not true!
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:20 AM   #382
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Ooh, thanks, Melia! My editor also said she's going out this weekend to scout bookstores for potential blurbers.

Phoenix, I've already done 2 rounds of revisions. Cut 9750-ish words. It heads to the copyeditor next.

I like my title a lot, but I'm not married to it. If it has to change, it has to change.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #383
phoenix
rising from the ashes

phoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsphoenix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Ooh, thanks, Melia! My editor also said she's going out this weekend to scout bookstores for potential blurbers.

Phoenix, I've already done 2 rounds of revisions. Cut 9750-ish words.
Um, wow.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #384
Irysangel
She of Many Names

Irysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Your editor doesn't have any mystery authors that could blurb you? My blurbs came from ones I hunted down myself, but marketing wanted one in particular so my editor got that one for me.

What about your agent? Does he have any clients that could blurb a mystery?

www.jessica-sims.com
www.jillmyles.com
http://jessica-clare.com
Irysangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 AM   #385
Tasmin21
Coming July 8th!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oooh! Came home to find an e-mail from The Editor: Devil is going to be on a special display in B&N stores for their July fantasies (along with another book y'all might have heard of, RED HOT FURY)
AW2: 5,587/70,000
Tasmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:09 AM   #386
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irysangel View Post
Your editor doesn't have any mystery authors that could blurb you? My blurbs came from ones I hunted down myself, but marketing wanted one in particular so my editor got that one for me.

What about your agent? Does he have any clients that could blurb a mystery?
THe editor already gave it to one of her other authors, and my agent said he has a list and will get together with the editor. So I'm feeling all cocooned in attention right now.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #387
HappyCamper
I lurk, therefore I am

HappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Prelim word is that my title may have to go. There's another book out there (a decade old, but...) with the same title. Oh, well. I always knew it was a possibility. We'll see what the legal types have to say.
Bummer on the title. I really like your current one, but I'm sure you can think of something even more awesome if you do have to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmin21 View Post
Oooh! Came home to find an e-mail from The Editor: Devil is going to be on a special display in B&N stores for their July fantasies (along with another book y'all might have heard of, RED HOT FURY)
How cool is that?

Quote:
THe editor already gave it to one of her other authors, and my agent said he has a list and will get together with the editor. So I'm feeling all cocooned in attention right now.
How exciting!!!!

Twitterpated
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 AM   #388
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tas, how awesome!!! There's a really big Barnes and Noble not too far from me (in Santa Monica) -- I will be looking for that!

My morning was just nuts with pre-release book stuff. I didn't even get to my lovely agent's notes on the revised partial until this afternoon. I'm not even working and I don't have time to do all this stuff! Madness, I tell you. Madness.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:56 AM   #389
phoenix
rising from the ashes

Um, still no contract, but I just got lovely draft cover copy....
Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 AM   #390
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

No contract here, either. The Agent says they're coming. Glaciers are timed with a stop-watch compared to the world of publishing.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #391
Irysangel
She of Many Names

Irysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIrysangel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasmin21 View Post
Oh, very cool! A book dump! They wuvz you.

www.jessica-sims.com
www.jillmyles.com
http://jessica-clare.com
Irysangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #392
erinbee
slanted and enchanted

erinbee is a glorious beacon of lighterinbee is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, congrats all!

I can finally announce my fun news...my book's audio rights sold! Blackstone Audio will be making the audio version. I have a feeling this entire process will be just as bizarre as the publication process!

THE H3ROINE'S B00KSH3LF! Hardcover from Harper, paperback from Harper Perennial.

More about the book | More about me | Facebook | Twitter
erinbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:28 PM   #393
phoenix
rising from the ashes

Yay erinbee! How exciting!
Old 03-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #394
Tasmin21
Coming July 8th!

Tasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTasmin21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yay Erin!
AW2: 5,587/70,000
Tasmin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #395
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Woo-hoo, erin!
Old 03-08-2010, 10:45 PM   #396
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nice, erin. You go! My e-pub is negotiating such a deal, and it is a big deal.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:21 AM   #397
OL
Still a beach bum...

Awesome, Erin! Do you know who is going to read it yet?
Old 03-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #398
HappyCamper
I lurk, therefore I am

HappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthoodHappyCamper is a candidate for sainthood
Yay Erin!!!!!! That's soooooooooo cool!!!

Twitterpated
HappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:48 AM   #399
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinbee View Post
Wow, congrats all!

I can finally announce my fun news...my book's audio rights sold! Blackstone Audio will be making the audio version. I have a feeling this entire process will be just as bizarre as the publication process!

Congrats!!!
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #400
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yay, erin and Tas!

I finally got some "news" yesterday that I don't quite know how to take yet. Without going into detail, there's some internal stuff happening at my publisher that may make a new contract...difficult. Or at least, not something that will happen for many more months yet.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote