• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[ePub] Verb Noire

asfirewing

Registered
Reaction score
I was checking Doutrope for a place i could send one of my short stories too and i found Verb Noire. I checked out their submission guidelines and wondered if anyone ever heard of this e-pub before?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Hmm. A start-up epublishing company run by people with no industry experience, that has yet to release a book as far as I can see. That's not a lot to have heard of.

asfirewing

Registered
Reaction score
From what i could tell on their website, the last update was back in October.

Deleted member 42

I wouldn't give them a second look, having followed the principals online for several years.

They're doing raw text dumps from word processor files. They have no distribution worth looking at, and it's POD.

They've successfully managed to disenfranchise and abuse some of the people I most admire in SF publishing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Verb Noire was formed due to the events of RaceFail '09, so expect some heated opinions in both for and against directions. If you're worried about all that, you can Google it and make up your own mind.

From a business point of view, it'd be wise to wait and see what happens with the first book release.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Technically they already had that, the book then had to be withdrawn and one of the two co-owners left as a result.... I have never heard of them before but they are not looking like a thriving viable press.

para

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm google reveals a bunch of posts with chipin counters. I wonder where that 10K has gone?
http://ellen-datlow.livejournal.com/167766.html

The community seems to have gone very quiet and the founder/editor? blog does not make any mention of verb noire. Half the links on the website don't appear to work. The editor's bio is not the kind of thing I want to be reading if I was looking for a publishing house.

asfirewing

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I checked out the website again and the more i look around, the more i'm not liking what i see. Half the links don't either work or keep taking you to the same page you were just on. From what i found, they only have one book out. I should have known they sounded too good to be true. :(

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with what others have said. It seems they started with good intentions and no experience-- and never really managed to do anything with it. Particularly as an e-pub, I would think they would have managed to have at least a couple of books available. (Barring the now discontinued anthology-- all they have is a single novella.)

Hmmm google reveals a bunch of posts with chipin counters. I wonder where that 10K has gone?
http://ellen-datlow.livejournal.com/167766.html
Interesting question, I wonder as well.

Their categories strike me as a sign of taking on too much as well-- 4 different genres, plus YA, poetry, and nonfic. That's a lot to manage, even if one has experience in all of those genres (which doesn't seem to be the case here).

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
To quote the book Melody Music of India, they came on the scene like a meteor and disappeared also like a meteor. Another edifying lesson in why "publisher" is not an entry-level position.

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
Most ebook publishers don't stick to a single genre. Even the erotic romance only publishers issue a broad spectrum of material under that umbrella category.
Point taken. Though I'll add that as far as I know, YA does not do well at all in e-book format. Feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Deleted member 42

YA books are still primarily sold to libraries, so, no, not so much with the ebooks.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
Point taken. Though I'll add that as far as I know, YA does not do well at all in e-book format. Feel free to correct me on that if I'm wrong.

I have no experience regarding YA at all as author or publisher so I can't offer any statistics on YA ebook sales. I know there are quite a number of ebook publishers who do sell YA. I can't imagine they'd take on YA books if none of them ever sold well enough to justify the cost of production.

Ava Glass

Registered
Reaction score
Verb Noire can still bounce back from its Nov. '09 setback. It had a lot of buzz and support after RaceFail '09.

It's due to put out Kelly Jennings' Martin's War early this year, btw.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
BlankFail support can be fickle. Especially once you have sunk $10,000 into it with no obvious results. But I suppose we shall see.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
No further activity.