Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Music and Songwriting
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Greatest Rock Guitarist
Eric Clapton 5 15.15%
Jimmy Page 3 9.09%
Jimi Hendrix 4 12.12%
Carlos Santana 2 6.06%
David Gilmore 1 3.03%
Matt Bellamy 1 3.03%
Eddie Van Halen 1 3.03%
Angus Young 2 6.06%
Tony Iommi 1 3.03%
Robin Trower 0 0%
Jeff Beck 0 0%
Ritchie Blackmore 2 6.06%
Randy Rhodes 0 0%
Stevie Ray Vaughn 2 6.06%
Yngwie Malmstein 1 3.03%
Robert Fripp 2 6.06%
Brian May 1 3.03%
Dick Dale 2 6.06%
Pete Townshend 1 3.03%
Duaine Allman 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
Diana Hignutt
Sleuthing Aficionado

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Nominations are in-Greatest Rock Guitarist

Okay, anyone who got at least two mentions (or votes) in the other thread has been nominated. Vote for the one guitarist you believe is the single greatest axeman in rock history. You all should like this list better.
Diana Hignutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #2
ChunkyC
It's hard being green

ChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
All fabulous players, but for me it has to be David Gilmour.

Stories of Strength
My listing in the Absolute Write Library.
Support the Author Advocate Defense Fund

ChunkyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #3
Izz
Doing the Space Operatic
AW Moderator

Izz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIzz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Jimi!
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
robeiae
The Emperor of Wyoming

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You spelled Duane wrong, Diauna.

Anyway, that's still my choice.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:41 AM   #5
DWSTXS
Mr Mojo Risin...

DWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthood
Dick Dale - he is greatness inc.

'I'm in the kitchen. . .with the tombstone blues.'

Pics:
http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs

WIP's-
Blue-Eyed Son -available on Amazon.com in print and Kindle versions - 119k

Untitled sci-fi work. currently at 40k
DWSTXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
SirOtter
Il Cavaliere Marino

SirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for PresidentSirOtter should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWSTXS View Post
Dick Dale - he is greatness inc.
Amen! He's also the only one on the list I've seen live.
SirOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
DWSTXS
Mr Mojo Risin...

DWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirOtter View Post
Amen! He's also the only one on the list I've seen live.
Well, you've scoreboarded me on that one, I haven't seen any of them. But, I have seen Dylan twice. He was, of course, absolute, sheer, genius!

Pics:

WIP's-

Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
robeiae
The Emperor of Wyoming

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Of that list, I've seen nine perform live. Eh. Only Randy Rhoads caused my jaw to drop.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

The Internet doesn't serve enough crow

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Diana Hignutt
Sleuthing Aficionado

Diana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDiana Hignutt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
Of that list, I've seen nine perform live. Eh. Only Randy Rhoads caused my jaw to drop.
I've seen seven of these guys play (some numerous times). Randy was the most astonishing to watch. On Mr. Crowley he played the main lead and its harmony at the same time. F-ing amazing. But, I voted for Pagey. If Randy had had a chance to build more of a body of work, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:38 PM   #10
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank God somebody else mentioned Fripp in the original thread. I'm glad to see he made it. King Crimson is Robert Fripp. I chose him...even though there are others I like more. I think he's extraordinary...a guitar genius.

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
III
rockin the suburbs

III is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I had to go with EVH.

III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #12
ChunkyC
It's hard being green

ChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChunkyC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
With regards to his impact on how the instrument is played, I'd have to agree, Jay.

But Gilmour is my guod.

Stories of Strength

Old 10-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #13
RG570
practical experience, FTW

RG570 is a shiny, shiny jewelRG570 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
Thank God somebody else mentioned Fripp in the original thread. I'm glad to see he made it. King Crimson is Robert Fripp. I chose him...even though there are others I like more. I think he's extraordinary...a guitar genius.
True, but I think you have to give Adrian Belew mega credit.
RG570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:47 AM   #14
*NeW*WrItEr*
practical experience, FTW

*NeW*WrItEr* is on a distinguished road
No no no. It has to be Yngwie Malmstein. Simply amazing

*NeW*WrItEr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 01:55 AM   #15
Strange Days
who cares, anyway?..

Strange Days is well-respected
Blackmore. Best Rock Guitarist. Best Rock Cello Player. Best Rock Mandolin Player. What else?

"Announcing your plans is good way to make God laugh..." - Ian McShane as Al Swearengen in "Deadwood"

"...Small and Mighty- all the same,
This life's a shallow facile game
Wher' every ego will be crushed
And every empire turn to dust..." - Martyn Jacques, "Crack of Doom"
Strange Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #16
Diana Hignutt
Sleuthing Aficionado

A bump for folks who were posting in the first, faulty, pawtry list thread.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #17
Diana Hignutt
Sleuthing Aficionado

This is the f-ing poll.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #18
DWSTXS
Mr Mojo Risin...

Dick Dale should win this

Pics:

WIP's-

Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #19
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Keith Richards. Graham Coxon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #20
Shadow_Ferret
Snow? Already?

Shadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsShadow_Ferret is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by *NeW*WrItEr* View Post
No no no. It has to be Yngwie Malmstein. Simply amazing
But he has no soul.

“I love words but I don’t like strange ones. You don’t understand them and they don’t understand you. Old words is like old friends, you know ‘em the minute you see ‘em.” -- Will Rogers

"Blame it on my ADD, baby." -- AWOLNATION
Shadow_Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 AM   #21
ChunkyC
It's hard being green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_Ferret View Post
But he has no soul.
Yowzah. I wonder if he can actually hold a single note for more than a millisecond...

Stories of Strength

Old 12-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #22
SPMiller
Prodigiously Hanged

SPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSPMiller is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If this poll is any proof, there is no such thing as a greatest rock guitarist.

I didn't even vote.
SPMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #23
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Johnny Marr.
Priene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #24
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kevin Shields

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:44 AM   #25
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I voted for Clapton (partly because his work spans decades in pop/rock music), but if I could I might change my vote to Jeff Beck. While Clapton deserves to win, Beck deserves one vote.
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote