Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #8876
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

Nymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
TUN’A TROLLYN / CODGERS TONY

1. Song / Songwriter-singer
2. Where the theologian might like to live?
3. The second word in the title is what the songwriter-singer is all about.

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.” ~ Terry Pratchett
Nymtoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:26 PM   #8877
bkendall
practical experience, FTW

bkendall is well-respected
GOD'S COUNTRY / LORETTA LYNN

Had the title, singer just wasn't coming to me. It may be a few hours till I'm back.

It's ok. Just call me bk.

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind's already made up!-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.-Albert Einstein
bkendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #8878
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

Nymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNymtoc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Good job, bk!

"The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it.” ~ Terry Pratchett
Old 04-26-2012, 02:51 AM   #8879
bkendall

STATE DR HU / GMHGOOFY

1. Song / Band

2. The title of this song may remind you of something that both the theologian and the wizard may believe in.

3. This is not one of the band's famous songs, if there are that many at all.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #8880
bkendall

STATE DR HU / GMHGOOFY

1. Song / Band

2. The title of this song may remind you of something that both the theologian and the wizard may believe in.

4. The lead singer of this band was on a popular television show that helped make him famous.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #8881
bkendall

STATE DR HU / GMHGOOFY

1. Song / Band

4. The lead singer of this band was on a popular television show that helped make him famous.

5. This band's lead singer, after completing his time on the tv show, was offered the lead gig of at least one major band, but turned it down.

6. The band he is in now was one he formed and named it after himself.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #8882
Albedo of Zero
That didn't hurt

Albedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputation
GHOST OF ME / DAUGHTRY
Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #8883
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

I'm glad you got it, Albedo, because bk had me stumped for three days.

Old 04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #8884
Albedo of Zero
That didn't hurt

Albedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputationAlbedo of Zero has a double-platinum reputation
PIOUSH EA THENART / NATUR EFRY

*song / band
*where their conversations seem to take them
*the band was well known in the 70's but how they got their name beats the dickens out of me
*many of their songs could fit into this theme (it was a hard choice)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #8885
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
NATURE OF TYRANTS / URIAH HEEP

...er, that's not the right song title, is it?
poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #8886
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinahat View Post
NATURE OF TYRANTS / URIAH HEEP

...er, that's not the right song title, is it?
Ah!

RETURN TO FANTASY / URIAH HEEP
Old 04-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #8887
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

THIRD BITTY SO MUSLIM / JOURNEYS
- song / band
- his dad was a carpenter, but according to the title, he's more into cars
- the protagonist harks back to a theme in Nymtoc's latest scramble above (which bkendall solved)
- so does the band name when unscrambled

Last edited by poetinahat; 04-30-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #8888
bkendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymtoc View Post
I'm glad you got it, Albedo, because bk had me stumped for three days.
I'm sorry for the lack of quality clues. I wish I had found the time to get back and prod you along.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 AM   #8889
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

- song / band
- the protagonist harks back to a theme in Nymtoc's latest scramble above (which bkendall solved)
- for drag racing, but not on the highway to hell!
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #8890
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

- song / band
- the band is essentially a one-man project, I believe... its name could apply to religion or to a governmental department (in 1984, there's one for Truth)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #8891
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

- song / band
- the band is essentially a one-man project, I believe... its name could apply to religion or to a governmental department (in 1984, there's one for Truth)
- If the product from the title were road-tested on Top Gear, the driver would have to be The Stigmata
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #8892
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

JESUS BUILT MY HOTROD / MINISTRY

Never heard of it.

But it would probably do well in redneck land, where Jesus is apt to turn up everywhere from a hollow log to a slice of pizza.

ETA: I just listened to it. The best I can say for it is that it has a driving beat.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #8893
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

COMBINER JEEZ / SINNJ PLEADS

1. Song / Artist
2. Ya want car songs? I'll give ya a car song, and it's a lot better than the last one!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #8894
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

Well done, Nymtoc!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymtoc View Post
ETA: I just listened to it. The best I can say for it is that it has a driving beat.
Yeah, that's kind of Ministry's thing. They (well, he - Alain Jourgensen) started in the mid-eighties as a technopoppy sort of band, but they got very dark, very fast. Ministry's history includes collaborations with the likes of Jello Biafra of the Dead Kennedys (that project was called Lard) and Steve Albini from Big Black.

The subject of the scramble had a guest lead vocalist: Gibby Haynes from the Butthole Surfers.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #8895
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

MERCEDES BENZ / JANIS JOPLIN

yep
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 AM   #8896
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

Well done, Poet!

(and well done, Janis. )

Old 05-02-2012, 05:52 AM   #8897
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

IWANT INTERNETLOVE / ZAFTIG HND SHREW
- song / singer-songwriter
- it semi-fits the automotive theme
- singer shares his two-word surname with a New Jersey musician, more recently seen in the cast of a blockbuster TV series based in New Jersey
- the singer is gone, but his first name lives on too... another well-known, 'copperhead' singer-songwriter named his son after him (the middle name). This son is also a highly-acclaimed singer-songwriter.

*whew* I hope that does it!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:36 AM   #8898
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

WHITE FREIGHTLINER / TOWNES VAN ZANDT

But I'm worried about you, Poet. Wanting Internetlove can only lead to heartbreak. Any woman you contact out there may not be what she seems. At best, she may be after your money. At worst--well, I've been hearing about some pretty grisly crimes resulting from Internet hookups. Be prudent, my friend!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:53 AM   #8899
poetinahat
Poetry Contest is on!
SuperModerator

BraVOOOO, Nymtoc!

(further detail: Steve Earle, and his son Justin Townes Earle, are both esteemed songsters)

...but *are* there any zaftig shrews out there???
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02 AM   #8900
Nymtoc
Benefactor Member

VIDENT PRO ELECTRIC / LETTER

1. Song / Artist
2. Vehicular subject
3. It's one of the favorite rides of all time.
4. You might expect its color to be purple, but it's not.

(I had a different scramble here, but no takers, so I'm starting with this one afresh. )

Last edited by Nymtoc; 05-07-2012 at 11:51 AM.