Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Science Fact
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Telescopes

I'm sort of kind of working on the research end of a back-burner project involving an astronomy club, and I have a few questions.

The main one involves telescopes. I'm trying to find what would be the most realistic type of telescope for the club to invest in. Anyone familiar with this area?
Making Magic Systems
Speculative Fiction Sub-Genre of the Week

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kricket View Post
Is that all I am to you people?! Just the girl with the whip?!
Liosse de Velishaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:43 AM   #2
blacbird
That hairy-handed gent

blacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsblacbird is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liosse de Velishaf View Post
I'm sort of kind of working on the research end of a back-burner project involving an astronomy club, and I have a few questions.

The main one involves telescopes. I'm trying to find what would be the most realistic type of telescope for the club to invest in. Anyone familiar with this area?
Standard reflector scope probably with a minimum of a 6" mirror, along with a motorized drive mount. Photography would likely be an interest of any club of this sort, so some form of digital camera and mount, as an accessory. You could google such stuff to find out typical price ranges.

caw
blacbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Seaclusion
Absolute Parsley

Seaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSeaclusion is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Probably a Newtonian reflector. They are the most powerful and highest resolution telescopes for the size and money. Although a Cassegrain reflector is also a good choice. In any case, both are reflector types and that is what any astronomy club would aspire to.

Richard
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Liosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLiosse de Velishaf is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I googled, and there was a $1500 schmidt-cassegrain reflector from Meade on the first page. The Newtonian reflectors from the same company seem to cost more around $300. There was also a really cool 16" coma free telescope from meade, but it costs about $50,000, and what with budgetary restraints and all...
Making Magic Systems

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:

Last edited by Liosse de Velishaf; 09-07-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #5
alleycat
I make my own fun.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is this a school club?

Most adult astronomy clubs are get-togethers (sometime called "star parties") where several people bring their telescopes.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:18 AM   #6
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

It is a school club.
Making Magic Systems

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Old 09-07-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
alleycat
I make my own fun.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
For an school astronomy club, my first choice for the main telescope would probably be a Dobsonian, but the other suggestions that have been offered would work too.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

Dobsonian is good because it is pretty simple and inexpesnsive (comparatively), right? But isn't it mainly for deep-sky viewing? I'll look into it more, I guess.

I was thinking more of smaller telescopes, though. Somewhat unrelatedly, would there be any benefits to using a refractor? Besides money, anyway(see below).

Also, on the price range: What do you think would be within a school club's budget?
Making Magic Systems

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote:
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
alleycat
I make my own fun.
SuperModerator

I would think a few members of a school astronomy club would have their own telescopes and bring them for the group to use, so you could have a variety of tubes. Even some binoculars work well for astronomy.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Liosse de Velishaf
Who rules?! Hyrules!

That's a good point as well...

I still haven't worked out all the conditions, but some club members might own telescopes and such. I'm still thinking of having some club materials though.

Thanks.
Making Magic Systems

Twitter
NaNoWriMo

Goodreads

Quote: