Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM   #5251
pandora1983
Jill of all trades,well,some trades

pandora1983 is a glorious beacon of lightpandora1983 is a glorious beacon of lightpandora1983 is a glorious beacon of light
Thx Maryn

some days I wouldnt mind switching lol
“Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.” – Freya Stark
Old 04-12-2011, 07:47 PM   #5252
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
How's today? I'm sick of cold weather. (High near 50.)

Okay, I'm going to Target, Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe some other places if I don't run out of steam. Anybody need anything?

Maryn, shopping sales
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #5253
pandora1983

pandora1983 is a glorious beacon of lightpandora1983 is a glorious beacon of lightpandora1983 is a glorious beacon of light
Todays not bat atall
its like upper 70s here nice carlina blue sky

Check the clearance rack at Target for me...they always have something in there...
“Travel does what good novelists also do to the life of everyday, placing it like a picture in a frame or a gem in its setting, so that the intrinsic qualities are made more clear. Travel does this with the very stuff that everyday life is made of, giving to it the sharp contour and meaning of art.” – Freya Stark
Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #5254
Grrarrgh
Not so new, not so much a kid

Grrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for President
We got our name back - and it's all spelled correctly. Woo!!

Welcome, Pandora.

I haven't noticed many of the overly opinionated threads, either, but I've been making a concentrated to stay out of the actual writing threads for a little while. I found that they were making me too paranoid and every time I wrote any sentence at all, all I could hear was "INFODUMP!!! TELLING NOT SHOWING!!! DELETE! DELETE!!!!"" until I couldn't write anything at all.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #5255
pandora1983

I had to say something..now the sun is hiding and its lw 60s

Thx grrarrgh. Yes thats something i definately want to avoid.

Sooo...lets talk about something completely and utterly ridiculous..
suggestions??
Old 04-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #5256
Komnena
In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah

Komnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKomnena is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Welcome, Pandora!!!
Maybe we could talk about the price of eggs in China.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #5257
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hey, HOLers. Towel boy reporting for duty. Snorkel found and functional, so with the upturn in weather, it's time for water sports. Hot tub cannonball...
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
Imola (Sequel to Agnes Hahn 2009) - Medallion Press
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM   #5258
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*grabs bathing suit*
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #5259
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

NeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsNeuroFizz is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by callalily61 View Post
*grabs bathing suit*
Greenhorn!
Agnes Hahn (Psychological Suspense 2008) Medallion Press Silver Medal, 2009 IPPY awards, Horror category
3.99 (Psychological Suspense/Mystery 2012) - Musa 2014 EPIC e-book awards Finalist, Paranormal category
Old 04-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #5260
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did I say *whose* bathing suit I was grabbing, Mr. Fizz? Noticed any drafts?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:02 AM   #5261
Mom'sWrite
Service with a smile

Mom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMom'sWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just spent the last 2 hours on the phone with the insurance company. Someone please kill me now. I humby request you drown me in the hot tub.

Who's the naked guy with the snorkel?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:43 AM   #5262
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

Maryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMaryn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
He's your new best friend.

I'm not spreading this around just everywhere, but for my friends here: Ben & Jerry's is having Free Cone day, limited flavor selection, donations to each store's charity accepted but not required. I had mine, tossed a few bucks toward the town's Little League. A good deal all round!

If I'd realized we'd be using the hot tub today, I'd have shaved my legs. Sigh...

Maryn, who really did have free ice cream
Old 04-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #5263
Grrarrgh

Grrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for PresidentGrrarrgh should run for President
We had one Ben & Jerry's here and it just didn't open one day. Closed at the normal time one night, and just stayed that way. I believe all of the furniture and everything else is still in the shop. It's very depressing, especially on Free Cone Day.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:13 AM   #5264
BeatrixKiddo
Is it summer yet???

BeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
How's today? I'm sick of cold weather. (High near 50.)

Okay, I'm going to Target, Best Buy, Lowes, and maybe some other places if I don't run out of steam. Anybody need anything?

Maryn, shopping sales

Ditto. Got very warm here on Sunday and now they're predicting a bit of snow on Saturday. Sigh.

I love hardware stores even though I don't have a house to buy anything for. I just like wondering around Menards, or Home Depot sometimes. We have Lowes up here too but I keep forgetting to check them out.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:13 AM   #5265
Grrarrgh

For the love of dog, people - why can I not make a decent grilled cheese sandwich????? Butter, bread, cheese - I don't think I'm missing anything. I've been craving one all day, and this one is fairly substandard. Boo.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #5266
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
i tend to burn mine. I turn the skillet to high because I am inpatient and then forget and - blackened grilled cheese...

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
Old 04-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #5267
Bmwhtly
Yes, I'm back.

Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Bmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grrarrgh View Post
For the love of dog, people - why can I not make a decent grilled cheese sandwich????? Butter, bread, cheese - I don't think I'm missing anything. I've been craving one all day, and this one is fairly substandard. Boo.
Lose the butter and add Worcestershire Sauce or, failing that, mustard.
"Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."
Old 04-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #5268
NeuroFizz
The grad students did it

Bacon.

'Tis the answer to all cooking-related issues, and a whole bunch of non-cookning ones as well.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM   #5269
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

We had a coupon for Tim Horton's (we're near Canada--are they everywhere in the US, or only Up North?) and Saturday I had a panini with cheese, bacon, and tomato. Kind of a heavy lunch for Miss Salad here, but it was real good. And amazingly enough, it held me until dinner, unlike a salad.

Writerly question: In something I shared with my RL critique group, I used the word asshat. Not one person in my group knew the term. In your experience, is this a word people know? Their suggestions for replacement led to an interesting dinner table discussions when The Kid was over, on the differences and nuances in the definitions of asshat, asshole, and asswipe. We all should have been linguists, huh?

Maryn, listening to it rain and imagining the grass seed sprouting
Old 04-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #5270
Calla Lily
AW Moderator

The offspring didn't know the term, but once I said it, they knew exactly what I meant.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #5271
Grrarrgh

A quick survey yields a 3/3 positive response to the question "Have you ever heard the word "asshat"?"
I was also offered "assclown" as a substitute should it be needed.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:02 PM   #5272
pandora1983

My seventeen yo nephew was familiar so it cant be that unfamiliar.

Morning folks!
Hows the HoL today
Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #5273
Maryn
You, too?
AW Moderator

It seems to me like people who know asshat are all fairly active online. My critique group gets online, but in a somewhat conservative, information-gathering and emailing way, rather that being a part of any online community. (They won't even check out AW, ferchristsake!) None of them has Facebook, is a member at IMDb, or ever simply plays or amuses themselves online.

Maryn, shaking her head
Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #5274
sassandgroove
Sassy Crafter

sassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssassandgroove is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
my husband uses asshat on a regular basis. And assclown. but he is active online at Fark - well he reads fark, I don't know if he posts much.

I like asshat. I get a mental image that is - well - amusing.

Sassy- not feeling so sassy today.

Leela, the bringer of joy, Hoshi, little sweetness and light in a dark package, and Garrus, the buddy boy
(image on flickr.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/jennymocha/8662266835/)
Old 04-14-2011, 01:12 AM   #5275
BeatrixKiddo
Is it summer yet???

BeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBeatrixKiddo is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like both words. They serve their purpose when you're looking for a word to describe a particular type of ass(bleep).

I also use the word "douchebag" but some folks don't care for it and think it's degrading to women. (namely, my mom) Personally, as a girl I find the word hilarious and it fits my needs just fine when the word "jerk" simply won't do.