Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #4801
ctripp
Christine Tripp

ctripp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
And the start of the last sentence reminded me of Boxer from Animal Farm, a staunch loyalist whose motto was, "I will work harder". Remember what happened to him in the end?
That visual picture really drives it home
ctripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:29 PM   #4802
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald View Post
Since the movie deal on Atlanta Nights was announced, AN's sold 32 copies. That's without me buying any, or button-holing my friends and acquaintances. Maybe it's on e-bay. Who knows? If a random PA book is there, AN is probably there too.
Of course, it is. And it's overpriced. But Jim knows that.

For the benefit of the new folks (and lurkers), there are sellers on ebay and Amazon who contract with dropshippers to sell books, DVDs, you name it. The seller doesn't have the item in stock, and I can almost guarantee you that your book wasn't hand curated for sale by the seller. It's all fed out of a database, and the seller puts a markup on everything.

Hey, it's cool to see your book in so many places. But to translate that into sales, your publisher needs to be actively involved in getting books into the hands of readers. Otherwise, it's just one more book on a long list.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:02 AM   #4803
Unimportant
but appreciated anyway...

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
Royalty check season begins as it always does. The first serious thread (I'm not sure Google Guy's counts) is called No royalty check.
And poof, it's gone.
Unimportant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 03:04 AM   #4804
Unimportant

Unimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUnimportant is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Meanwhile, more woes on the no-show e-book front:
Quote:
Back in December or Early January I purchased the package and authorized the ebook conversion. Haven't been able to find it anywhere. I also sent an email to author support and did not recieve an answer. It is an exciting addition concerning availability but I can't promote something even I can't find. Can't seem to locate the $12.95 or $14.95 versions I authorized either. I hope this misunderstanding is cleared up soon. PublishAmerica has always done well by me so far. I am presently working on a new marketing program. Who knows, maybe we'll sell a bunch. have a great day fellow authors. We did it didn't we!
Hope springs eternal.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:37 AM   #4805
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Who knows, maybe we'll sell a bunch.
I know. Ask me!

Meanwhile, make extra popcorn and set up the folding chairs. We're going to get some new friends.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #4806
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, if that poster means "bunch" as in "a bunch of bananas," then yeah (depending on how large that person's family is). A "bunch" as in "a bunch of grapes" would be a lot for most PA titles.

(In my kitchen right now, I have a bunch of six bananas and a bunch of 50+ grapes, so.)

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #4807
Richard Falk
Author of "Warp"

Richard Falk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by amergina View Post
huh. Now I wonder if Google Guy is being very very sarcastic:

Congratulate me
Oh yes. I first thought our friend was gullible or deluded when he began posting all those web statistics, but no: he's been playing the long game. He's obviously known for a while that his royalty statement would show virtually no sales, and he's been building and building and building to this revelation. I take my hat off to the man for the way he's pulled the rug from under PA.
Richard Falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #4808
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Falk View Post
Oh yes. I first thought our friend was gullible or deluded when he began posting all those web statistics, but no: he's been playing the long game. He's obviously known for a while that his royalty statement would show virtually no sales, and he's been building and building and building to this revelation. I take my hat off to the man for the way he's pulled the rug from under PA.
On this topic (database listings at online booksellers and eBay), the guy isn't pulling the rug from under PA.

Online sellers all over the world are filled with database listings; there are also folks selling 'used books' (based, again, on database listings) even though they don't physically posses the book. This doesn't have anything to do with PA. The same thing happens to all publishers' books. It happens because of the database listings.

The guy is, essentially, presenting data (bazillions of database listings) to prove he's been ripped off on royalties. But the existence of database listings does not equal sales and never has. It is, therefore, an erroneous conclusion and not proof of deceit.

PA does enough bad shit all on its own without blaming them for stuff that is outside their control. I don't think imputing lies where lies don't exist helps. It just muddies the waters.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 PM   #4809
Richard Falk
Author of "Warp"

Richard Falk is on a distinguished road
I didn't take the guy's posting to mean that he thought PA were ripping him off on royalties; and I do understand how online book listings work, so please don't patronise me on that score. What I think he's done, rather cleverly, is to take their boast (and that of every vanity publisher) that books are "available" from 25,000 physical outlets and all over the net and demonstrate quite clearly that listings do not translate into actual sales.
Richard Falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:44 PM   #4810
circlexranch
Terri Coop has been known to write

circlexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to beholdcirclexranch is a splendid one to behold
If Google Guy would put half that energy into writing and querying, he'd be a force to be reckoned with . . .

And yes, I agree with Richard, there is a strong undertone of sarcasm and disdain in his PAMB post.

The Blog Coop (keeps them safe and from wandering around)

"Why I Fear Clowns" A journey along the CCC (creepy clown continum).

"Readin, Rittin, & Rhetoric" is my own take on writing and staying sane in the game of life.
circlexranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #4811
Marian Perera
starting over

Marian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
An newbie who paid for the Kindle conversion mentions that she can't find her e-book anywhere. Another author mentions what PA doesn't want them to know.

Quote:
To put your books on Amazon Kindle yourself, go to https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin

It doesn't cost anything to make your books available on Amazon Kindle, you just need to make sure you have the rights for electronic publication. You'll also have to make the book file into an accepted format.
Bolding mine. Yes, it's pure profit for PA.

Twitter
Marian Perera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #4812
Unimportant

But, QoS, if the author has signed electronic rights over to PA, doesn't that legally bar the author from signing up with Kindle themselves? Doesn't it have to be done by PA?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #4813
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
But, QoS, if the author has signed electronic rights over to PA, doesn't that legally bar the author from signing up with Kindle themselves? Doesn't it have to be done by PA?
Some PA authors have obtained the digital rights to their work, so they can place it on Kindle, but you're correct, if PA has the digital rights, the author cannot legally submit their work, it would need to be submitted by PA (unless they receive permission from PA, of course).

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:00 PM   #4814
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Be assured, getting that "permission" from PA will cost at least 99.00 + 3.99 S&H.

Hi Miranda! How are the hemorrhoids this morning?
Gillhoughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #4815
ctripp
Christine Tripp

ctripp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Posted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:18 am** *Post subject: e books
I was surprised with the Tsunami statement assuring us no one will be left behind. There must have been thousands of us authors taking advantage of the offer and paying up front. I did some research because I haven't recieved an answer from author support. I am only alittle concerned because P.A. has always backed up what they say but just in case I checked with my Credit card services. We don't have to be concerned if we do get left behind for too long. If the promised service is not produced within a reasonable time and we get no response from P.A., we can request a charge back and our money will be refunded to us. Then we can order the ebook when they get caught up. I don't see that happening but it helps dispense with the worry about losing our money. Some of us made substancial sacrifice for this offer. I've been working on the marketing end and don't know when to say the ebook option will be ready.
This will be gone VERY soon!
ctripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #4816
brianm
Brian Boru

Location: The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
brianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctripp View Post
This will be gone VERY soon!
Still there.

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell
brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 AM   #4817
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillhoughly View Post
Be assured, getting that "permission" from PA will cost at least 99.00 + 3.99 S&H.
When I asked PA for the digital rights to my book they said, "No." But, they were willing to make the book into an e-book if I bought XXX number of copies of my printed book. If there's money to be gleaned from an author, PA will find a way to access it.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #4818
TheTinCat
I am a mighty viking!

TheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewelTheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Some of us made substancial sacrifice for this offer.
I'm sorry to hear that, friend. It won't do much good.
TheTinCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #4819
TheTinCat
I am a mighty viking!

TheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewelTheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Falk View Post
What I think he's done, rather cleverly, is to take their boast (and that of every vanity publisher) that books are "available" from 25,000 physical outlets and all over the net and demonstrate quite clearly that listings do not translate into actual sales.
Whether he wanted to or not, that's certainly what he's done,
TheTinCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:37 AM   #4820
HistorySleuth
Researching History's Mysteries

HistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHistorySleuth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Still there. I think its too many words for Infomonster to keep their attention till it gets to the credit card part.

On Amazon.
HistorySleuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:14 PM   #4821
stormie
storm central

stormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsstormie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorySleuth View Post
Still there. I think its too many words for Infomonster to keep their attention till it gets to the credit card part.
Still there. I think PA got stuck on the word "tsunami" so they didn't read the rest.

An Interview

BLOG BLOG BLOG
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #4822
Jill Karg
So many WIPs which one to work on

Jill Karg is a glorious beacon of lightJill Karg is a glorious beacon of light
here is something I just thought of when reading the PAMB. When they assign a book a new ISDN number, it becomes another edition. So the counter get's reset for each paperback, kindle, hardback ect.

So royalites on all these editions will have to make 50.00 before check is issued for pennies.

another wrinkle that they didn't tell the author before signing on the electronic dotted line. Editions in most people minds don't equate paperback vs hardback. But in the three stooges minds it does mean exactly that.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #4823
darkprincealain
Domestic extremist

darkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for President
It's still there, by the way. Wow.
darkprincealain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:22 PM   #4824
zakucac
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

zakucac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unimportant View Post
You know how when you copy and paste from one program to another, things like hyphens and smart quotes about life can get garbled? I'm betting that's what happened when a PA author's book title got pasted into Amazon: the punctuation mark in her book title got garbled into the characters ….

The author noticed, and asked PA:

PA's reply isn't "Oh, goodness gracious, we'll get that fixed right away" (which you'd expect from a normal publisher), or even their usual "Oh, it must be AMAZON's fault, you'll have to complain to THEM." No, they say:

Leaves me speechless, it does.
hahahaha.. me too.. hhaha
zakucac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #4825
brianm
Brian Boru

Location: The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
brianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another sarcastic post from this PA author who received a tone letter (you'll need to page down to nearly the bottom of the page to see the letter) from PA back in November of 2010. Clearly he's figured out the warnings about PA being a vanity press/author mill are true but knows if he speaks his mind on the PAMB his posts will be deleted.

Quote:
After all these months of my book being on over 1000 web sites world wide inclucing China and with over 6,000 copies available on ebay. PA's royalty statement states 11 copies have been sold.
WOW this so awesome!!!!!
Snippets from the tone letter.

Quote:
Dear (author's name redacted):

Do not address us in such a tone. No, you are not “disappointed”. You could not possibly be, because you have not found us doing anything wrong.
Quote:
We will expect your prompt apology for implying that we did something wrong. We obviously did not.
~brianm~

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Last edited by brianm; 03-12-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Added tone letter snippets
brianm is offline   Reply With Quote