Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 09:45 PM   #2676
darkprincealain
Domestic extremist

darkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for Presidentdarkprincealain should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Crispin View Post
She took out her cellphone and took my picture
Wow... really? I think that seems a bit paranoid on her part. Not that I should be shocked given her other antics, but...
darkprincealain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #2677
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Crispin View Post
I didn't walk up to the table, but stood across the aisle in the opposite stall, eyeing the display, and reading the nametags. When Miranda Prather read my name tag (I was at least 10 or 12 feet away, she had to squint), she seemed unsettled and annoyed. She took out her cellphone and took my picture as I stood there quietly.
Ann, you should have smiled and waved!
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #2678
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not paranoia, proof! It's proof positive that people are taking notice of PA at venues such as BEA!

Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #2679
M.R.J. Le Blanc

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
Yeah, but would Miranda actually want to say 'hey one of our haters saw us at BEA!'? Or do you think she'd skewer it around?
Old 06-08-2010, 10:33 PM   #2680
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Ann Crispin checking out the PublishAmerica booth! Your books are getting NOTICED!"

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #2681
Queen of Swords
starting over

Queen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Buy 15 copies of your book and we'll donate an equal number to Writer Beware!"

And speaking of buying copies of your own books, a newbie seems pleased about this offer:

Quote:
Did you get the announcement yesterday? You buy 5 copies with the correct coupon and PA will allow amazon.com to print your book so that it will always be in stock! It's great that if I buy more of my books then they can be sure that Amazon will always have our books ready to sell.
Seriously, there is no hope for people like this.

The Deepest Ocean is available now!

Website
Blog Twitter

Last edited by Queen of Swords; 06-08-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Queen of Swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:30 PM   #2682
DaveKuzminski
Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace

DaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDaveKuzminski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hope she doesn't try to use that photo as a book cover without a press release.

And I can't help but wonder how she would have reacted had you taken her picture.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

Last edited by DaveKuzminski; 06-08-2010 at 11:32 PM.
DaveKuzminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:39 PM   #2683
brianm
Brian Boru

Location: The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
brianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrianm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKuzminski View Post
And I can't help but wonder how she would have reacted had you taken her picture.
Be rather futile taking her picture because a heat source is required for an image to appear on film.

~brianm~

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell
brianm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #2684
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
She took out her cellphone and took my picture as I stood there quietly.
Hee-hee, I'd have shot her the peace sign and flashed a big smile. If in a real *mood* I might have walked over and acted like we were the best friends EVER!

"Gosh, it's so good to see you in person, I've heard so much about you on Absolute Write! Has PA got any books on the NYT bestseller list yet? Aw, too bad, but I'm sure you'll get lucky some day. Did Willie ever buy that yacht he was looking at? How are Larry's hemorrhoids? Better, I hope! Oh--did you ever get your diploma after that plea bargain thing? Oops--LOOK at the time! I've got a meeting with my publisher--they have that really BIG display over there in that crowd. I'll be back tomorrow--we'll do lunch! Buh-bye!!"

I would, of course, be in running shoes and have an escape route.

But then I'm evul that way and you're not.

Be careful, she might:
  • Mount your pic on a dart board
  • Or a (Hollywood myth style) voodoo doll
  • Send fake cops to your place to intimidate you
  • Complain to the police that you're having plastic surgery so you can look like her and trying to frame her for a hate crime
Or worse!
  • Buy 10 copies of your PA books and we will ship 10 to author A.C. Crispin!
OTOH, those would be useful this winter, should you have a wood-burning fireplace.
Gillhoughly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #2685
Queen of Swords
starting over

Queen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, there was a scathing response to the newbie who thought it was "great" that she could get her book listed on Amazon if she bought some copies.

Quote:
Um...no, it's NOT great. Most publishers place their authors' work on Amazon without charging them. My book hasn't been on Amazon for four months and I have been waiting for this to be corrected. NOW, after ALL this time, they tell us we have to BUY five copies of our books to get them listed again? Seriously? This doesn't tick you off? That email was insulting and just plain wrong. I have no intentions of buying my own books, especially when one of them costs twenty-five bucks. I've done my share of posting stupid things on this board, spouting praise for PA like a brainwashed robot. No more. I've finally woke up. I'll get banned for this and that's just fine and freakin' dandy, because I'm done with PA. OUT of here. Good luck to you all.
Hope that author finds his way here.

Website
Blog Twitter
Old 06-09-2010, 01:10 AM   #2686
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
I'll wrangle up a few more chairs, shall I? The coffee is on.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:22 AM   #2687
CatSlave
Mah tale iz draggin.

CatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthoodCatSlave is a candidate for sainthood
I love seeing posts like that, especially after business hours or on weekends when the office is closed and Infocenter is slow on the draw.

How PA treats its authors: Oh, stop the whining and contact support@publishamerica.com like everyone else.

PA authors CAN fight back. File a complaint with your credit card company.

Have a question? Who can you trust? Absolute Write, Writer Beware and Preditors & Editors
CatSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:27 AM   #2688
Katrina S. Forest
I'm already a real writer.

Katrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolnessKatrina S. Forest leaves trails of profuse coolness
Oo, I'll get sugar. All writers need sugar, right?

Seriously, though, one of the best things about that post was the "I'll get banned for this" line. Maybe others who get the chance to read it before it vanishes will start to realize, "Hey, PA is actually banning people who post legit complaints."

I do wonder how long it takes being a regular on that board to notice how reasonable questions like, "Why are you always pressuring me to buy my own book?" just vanish.

"An honest answer is like a warm hug." - Proverbs 24:26 (The Message)
Katrina S. Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #2689
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Wow, there was a scathing response to the newbie who thought it was "great" that she could get her book listed on Amazon if she bought some copies.

*nature channel announcer voice*

And here we have it, the birth of the Awakening Jealous Taody Bug. See it open its wings for the first time as it prepares to fly away. Take note, nature lovers, the cry of the AJTB is rarely heard; you have to be quick and pay attention.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 AM   #2690
DreamWeaver
Shakespearean Fool

DreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudgeDreamWeaver is better than ice cream with hot fudge
It's always heartening to see someone announce that the emperor has no clothes, right on the emperor's own message board .

Hope that one continues writing and finds the way to safe harbor, whether here or somewhere else that helps show authors the way toward successful commercial publication.

ETA: Still there. Timing is everything!

Why doesn't George R. R. Martin use Twitter? He already killed off all 140 characters!
DreamWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #2691
TheTinCat
I am a mighty viking!

TheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewelTheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
I've done my share of posting stupid things on this board, spouting praise for PA like a brainwashed robot. No more. I've finally woke up.
It takes some serious guts to admit something like that in public - or to yourself, even. I love seeing that.
TheTinCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 AM   #2692
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

From the thread about Karen S. Gibbs being on 300+ book titles as co-author:

Quote:
This sparked my curiousity so I had to check out my books on this site. My first one,---------, shows up correctly but my second one, ----------, says it is by Sharon Harper??? What?? Can't say that makes me happy and I really don't understand. Hope someone can enlighten me.
Needless to say, Sharon Harper isn't the author who posted this.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #2693
PVish
Cat hair collector

PVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolnessPVish leaves trails of profuse coolness
Another disgruntled newbie's first post:
Quote:
I preordered books and was to get 5 hard cover free. i was charged for them but have yet to reciev them. I have tried calling and sending emails, but publish America has not answered me. Anyone know how to contact them? I have a book signing coming up and need the books!
PVish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #2694
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
I'm gonna need a bigger coffee pot. ;-)
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #2695
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

It's gone now. The original "This is a great deal!" post is still there, though.

Sigh. I hope s/he ends up over here, too.

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #2696
M.R.J. Le Blanc

I have a question about this quote:

Quote:
You buy 5 copies with the correct coupon and PA will allow amazon.com to print your book so that it will always be in stock!
Wouldn't that put them in violation with their other printer (I can't recall who it is now...B&T?)? Or is it possible this author misunderstood?
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #2697
Queen of Swords
starting over

More problems, more questions

Quote:
Has anyone else's book gone back on amazon or barnes and noble? Mine still hasn't this is soooooooo frustrating! I have lost a lot of sales because of this.
The next royalty statement is going to be painful. Assuming there is one.

Quote:
I was told that my book would be avbailable through Amazon.com and other stores on-line. But everytime I check, it is not found. Can someone help me? I have posted on a website that would enable people to order through amazon, but my book isn't listed there! - Link
And infocenter locked this one without a reply:

Quote:
Dear PA:
I understand that you want to help us as authors by providing special offers for us on the weekends. However, I am one of those people who live paycheck to paycheck and I only get paid on the 15th and 30th of month. Could you try to have some of these specials at these times of the month? I would love to order some copies of my book(s) at discounted prices, but the offer is over before I get paid. This is just a suggestion, but it would help me immensely and perhaps others as well.
Thank you for your consideration.
I don't know what's sadder, the author bending over backwards to be polite or the author living "paycheck to paycheck" but trying to buy his own books.

Website
Blog Twitter
Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #2698
Scribhneoir
Reinventing Myself

Scribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of lightScribhneoir is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
The next royalty statement is going to be painful. Assuming there is one.
Did anyone actually get a royalty check back in February? Or did they fob everyone off with the LS lawsuit excuse?
Scribhneoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 AM   #2699
Queen of Swords
starting over

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribhneoir View Post
Did anyone actually get a royalty check back in February? Or did they fob everyone off with the LS lawsuit excuse?
No, they paid one of their loyalists.

Quote:
My check is $.87

Website
Blog Twitter
Old 06-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #2700
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Dear PA Lurkers,

Real writers DO get paid for their work, providing you place your book with a real publisher, not PA.

I got notice today from my agent that a check for one of my older title's royalties is on the way--low three figures--which is a lot better than that poor bloke's .87.

The week before I got another low 3-figure check from an old title. It was nice.

My publishers pay ME. I don't pay them. That's not how it's ever supposed to work, but PA is literally BANKING that you won't figure that out until they've squeezed you dry.

So...how much money has PA made off you this year?

Are you angry with them yet?

You damned-well should be.
Gillhoughly is online now   Reply With Quote