Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check > America Star Books / PublishAmerica / Independence Books
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #2551
Gillhoughly
Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage

Location: Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
Gillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGillhoughly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
17 writers on the schedule.

4 with PA

3 with CreateSpace or Lulu.

*1* from a publisher I've actually heard of.

I'm thinking I really do need to clean out my hall closet instead of going to that chat.

Let the poor victim have her delusion. It'd be like hitting a baby to show up and hassle her. No one ever looks good doing that.

Last edited by Gillhoughly; 06-01-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Gillhoughly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 AM   #2552
emsuniverse
Back to freelancing again...

emsuniverse is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
I can't quite understand this mentality. Your books aren't available in bookstores. Your books aren't available in online stores. And you still want to be reassured that PA is the best company for you?
But PA made her a Published Author! Why would anything else, like availability, matter? She's still a Published Author!

Twitter: emilyshendricks (follow me?)
FB page: The View From Down Here (like me?)
emsuniverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #2553
Fae Sutherland
practical experience, FTW

Fae Sutherland has a spectacular auraFae Sutherland has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacia Kane View Post
(when is the last time you saw a professional website with a Guestbook?)
Going immediately to delete the guestbook from my site. *hides face in shame*
Fae Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 01:26 AM   #2554
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
When I had my first site designed, the designer added a guestbook. I had him get rid of it only a few weeks later because it attracted spam and only spam. It was a waste of time. On my new site, I have contact info and that's it. Much better and no spam.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:33 AM   #2555
Marian Perera
starting over

Marian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I could never really see the purpose of a guestbook. If you want to let someone know that you stopped by their site and enjoyed it, you could always send them an email or leave a comment on their blog.

Guestbooks make me think of autograph albums, weddings and funerals, not necessarily in that order.

Twitter
Marian Perera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:09 AM   #2556
M.R.J. Le Blanc
aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan

M.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputationM.R.J. Le Blanc has a golden reputation
PA-ers tend to use it as advertising. You can tell by the way they leave messages that the main reason they stopped by was to promote their own site. I think it's all part of that 'promote promote promote!' mentality.
M.R.J. Le Blanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #2557
Fae Sutherland
practical experience, FTW

Fae Sutherland has a spectacular auraFae Sutherland has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Chick View Post
When I had my first site designed, the designer added a guestbook. I had him get rid of it only a few weeks later because it attracted spam and only spam. It was a waste of time. On my new site, I have contact info and that's it. Much better and no spam.
See, we've never gotten any spam. Some very nice reader comments left there, very sporadically, but never any spam. It honestly never occurred to me not to have one. Oops.
Fae Sutherland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:10 AM   #2558
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I used to get all kinds of nonsense.

Now, I just direct readers to my gmail addy.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:25 AM   #2559
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
I don't think a guestbook is so bad IF you can control the spam. That's the catch. Or the CATCPHA as it may be. ;-)
JulieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #2560
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Once in a while I get lovely reader comments. Never got any spam. I'm building a new website through Google sites (to port my domain name over to) and probably won't include a guestbook.

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of
Christine N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #2561
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

It was weird - a lot of Russian nonsense. I did get some nice comments, but it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:11 AM   #2562
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fae Sutherland View Post
Going immediately to delete the guestbook from my site. *hides face in shame*

I'm sorry honey!!

*is mortified at thought of hurting Fae or Christine N*

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:19 PM   #2563
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

Christine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChristine N. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's okay. I built my site years ago and thought it was cool. I think at one time it was cool.

I tweet

Old 06-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #2564
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
At one time I did have a guestbook.

Then the Nigerian Scammers found it.

Now, I have a link to my personal newsgroup, which provides interactivity. (Now I have to remember to go post something new.)
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #2565
Christine N.
is not the avatar thief

My biggest problem with Webs isn't the guestbook, it's that people can become 'members', of my site. I get all kinds of people there, and then their picture shows up on my site, as well as any image they choose to upload. It makes me feel violated, to be honest, and I pay for my domain which makes me a premium member, which gets ads off of my site, but doesn't stop people from 'joining'. Weird.

Which is part of the reason I'm going over to Google sites.

I tweet

Old 06-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #2566
Little1
Hakuna Matata

Little1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Someone asked on the PABord..
Quote:
I was just wondering has anyone here actually got anything yet...? I'm not really expecting to anytime soon since my books title is Spawn of Satan and its kinda in the middle but I was just wondering...
Some "helpful" Pa Person answered

Quote:
I did answer one of your other posts about that. Just remember they only send out royalty's twice a year. Same time each year. Also they can't pay you for what they haven't got. If people are buying your books from say Banes and Noble. It does't matter how many they sell, if the store doesn't get off their butts and send there money back to PA. Most book stores do that 3 or 4 times a year.

People tend to think that once a book is sold, it instantly goes back to the publisher. Well it does't. These business are big corporations and they all move slow as molasses.
first I would like to know who bans and noble is. I would assume it is Barns N Noble. I would hasered a guess its NOT BNN that is not paying there bills....
Old 06-02-2010, 12:15 AM   #2567
merrihiatt
Writing! Writing! Writing!
Requiescat In Pace

merrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmerrihiatt is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Barnes and Noble. One of my pet peeves is misspelling bookstore names.

I'm a clickable link to Amazon

Smashwords B&N iTunes AllRomance Website
merrihiatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #2568
Marian Perera
starting over

Marian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMarian Perera is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
PA supporter 'fesses up on blog

Remember the author who recently stated on the PAMB that PA was a "hybrid publisher" and kept implying it was similar to the major publishers ("oh yes, PA is slow to pay you, but so are the big six")? On his blog, though, he says,

Quote:
Do I think PA is a vanity press? Yes I do.
He just happens to think that they'll do more for him than Lulu or CreateSpace and he has some beliefs that are not, shall we say, compatible with commercial publishing.

Quote:
Lets talk about your elitist attitude. Everyone is entitled to be published. They may not make any sales, but they deserve to do what they want, at least in this country I live in.
Yes, it's right there in the Constitution. You are entitled to life, liberty and the publication of anything you want, when you want it.

Twitter

Last edited by Marian Perera; 06-02-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:31 AM   #2569
Gravity
Seen 'em come, seen 'em go

Location: Once you've heard the truth, everything else is just cheap whiskey.
Gravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsGravity is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And we have the right to ignore his book, and watch it sink without a trace. Ain't freedom grand?

commercially published: Abyss, Until the Last Dog Dies, When Skylarks Fall, To Skin a Cat, and Last Call

agent Chip MacGregor presently querying: Pitfall

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com

http://www.johnrobinsonbooks.com/blog.htm
check out my blog; c'mon, you know you want to.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 AM   #2570
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Argh!

For the love of all that is holy, won't someone take pity on this person and teach him the difference between "there/their/they're" and possessive/plural??? And he's giving advice to people?

GAH!

Last edited by Jersey Chick; 06-02-2010 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 AM   #2571
Marian Perera
starting over

That gives me an idea for a blog post about reasons why the entitlement belief is bad for writers, but on another topic, a PA author who's a Facebook friend of mine had posted on FB about his book being available on Amazon. So I checked. Naturally, it was out of stock and I let him know. He replied,

"I think it will be ordered upon request as soon as you express interest Marian. It took my friend three weeks to get hers via the same process from amazon although it wqas out of stock."

So people have to request the book despite it being out of stock, and even then it takes three weeks?

I don't know if he sees the problem in that - namely, that readers who aren't already his friends may not make that effort and be willing to wait so long for an already overpriced book. But I have a feeling he'll learn.

Twitter
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #2572
TheTinCat
I am a mighty viking!

TheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewelTheTinCat is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Lets talk about your elitist attitude. Everyone is entitled to be published.
In the sense that everyone is entitled to hit "print", make copies at any scale they want and ask people to read/buy it, yes.

In the sense that everyone is entitled to have a real publisher spend money, time and expertise on their work, or entitled to get their work bought or read by other people? Say it with me ...
TheTinCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #2573
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

So tempted to comment on so much misinformation both in the blog and the comments. Must. Refrain.

However, I also see a possible blog post in the future.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #2574
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTinCat View Post
In the sense that everyone is entitled to hit "print", make copies at any scale they want and ask people to read/buy it, yes.

In the sense that everyone is entitled to have a real publisher spend money, time and expertise on their work, or entitled to get their work bought or read by other people? Say it with me ...
Silence you elitist toady bug! We are all entitled to readers' money! As much as the market will bear, and even more than that!

Cyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:14 PM   #2575
Bartholomew
我的身分還是秘密.

Bartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBartholomew is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Swords View Post
Yes, it's right there in the Constitution. You are entitled to life, liberty and the publication of anything you want, when you want it.
I know you're being sarcastic, but that Constitution really does say this. First amendment.

Do you need cover art or illustrations? I sell that.
Bartholomew is offline   Reply With Quote