Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Romance/Women's Fiction
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
*RomanceWriter*
New kid, be gentle!

*RomanceWriter* is on a distinguished road
Submission response times

HI, for those that have submitted to Samhain, Harlequin Nocturne, Dorchester and/or Tor...how long did it take to get a response to your query/sample chapters? Either rejection, request for more or contract.
*RomanceWriter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
AngelaA
Are we there yet?

AngelaA is well-respected
Harlequin Nocturne was three months. Tor was about four months. Samhain was a couple of weeks.
AngelaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
*RomanceWriter*
New kid, be gentle!

It's only been a month for me. The wait is a killer!
Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Robin Bayne
~writes for Him~

Robin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admirationRobin Bayne has earned our admiration
Congrats on sending it! While you wait, start your next story!

Robin Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
*RomanceWriter*
New kid, be gentle!

Wishingful thinking...but I'm writing a series off the book I've submitted. It's stand alone, but I love writing about that world. I'm onto the third book now.
I also have a couple YA romances that need a MAJOR overhaul so I don't want to go there right now, but eventually will.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
romancewriter
practical experience, FTW

romancewriter is on a distinguished road
I've heard of wait times being anywhere from a couple of hours, for eSubs, to a year or more. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to wait times. There are way too variables. Everything from number of submissions to the alignment of the planets. Writers will continue to speculate the grand why about their wait times, I do it, too, but basically it's a crap shoot.

Just out of curiosity where did you submit?

Oh, and great screen name. LOL
romancewriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
*RomanceWriter*
New kid, be gentle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancewriter View Post
I've heard of wait times being anywhere from a couple of hours, for eSubs, to a year or more. Unfortunately there is no rhyme or reason to wait times. There are way too variables. Everything from number of submissions to the alignment of the planets. Writers will continue to speculate the grand why about their wait times, I do it, too, but basically it's a crap shoot.

Just out of curiosity where did you submit?

Oh, and great screen name. LOL
So you're the one with the great screen name I wanted

I have submitted to Dorchester, Tor, Samhain, Harlequin and a handful of agents. It's been five weeks now. I've gotten some equery rejection from agents so far, but haven't heard back from the ones I've mentioned yet. Still holding out hope.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #8
Deb Kinnard
They agreed: "just friends."

Deb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolness
For those of you with access to AOL chats, this Sunday night at 9 Eastern, Janet Butler will run a chat on "Why does it TAKE so long?" and hopefully answer some questions. Janet is an editor with a press that primarily does nonfic, but her finger has been gently on the pulse of the romance fic world ever since she won the Golden Heart.

Tune in if you can. Promises to be a lively session.
IF EVER I FALL, indie coming soon for Kindle

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis
Deb Kinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
LorelieBrown
Got the hang of it, here

LorelieBrown is a glorious beacon of lightLorelieBrown is a glorious beacon of lightLorelieBrown is a glorious beacon of light
At the time that I submitted to Samhain, they wanted the whole ms attached (not sure if they do now) so there was no partial request. Just two months to an offer.

When I submitted to Harlequin, I had a full request based on a conference editor appointment. It was 9 months to a very in-depth rejection. (The letter was full of advice and lovely stuff about my book, plus the very interesting [to me] info that it had gone through a "freelance reader," whatever that is.)
Yes, I'm a sheep.

For Want of Love - Complete, out to editor.
Catch Me - SOLD! To Carina Press.
War - Trunked at 40k out of 90k.
Wayward One - Editing.
Double Down - Complete at 82k out of 60k.
LorelieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Erin
Listening to my other selves

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
I submitted to Harlequin Teen (query & synopsis) in May and haven't heard anything yet. I think each line is different.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook

Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
romancewriter

I've had wait times with Harl/Sil ranging from a few weeks to nine months on a full request. I've heard of wait times of a year or more with the same editors. Best of luck with your submissions.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
MissLadyRae
I vaahnt to suck your blaahd

MissLadyRae is on a distinguished road
For Samhain, I remember it usually took around 2 and half months or so for a response on partials (but this was 2008, not sure if it's still the same today). For Tor, one MS is going on about 4 or 5 months out and still waiting for a response. My last Tor submission went on almost about a year but I never received a response. Harlequin Nocturne I haven't tried but the Bites took a month or two with the pitch contest (felt like much longer though :-)).

I heard Dorchester takes about a year nowadays, does anyone know if that's still true?

MissLadyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
*RomanceWriter*
New kid, be gentle!

Wow, what long waits! It's torture I tell you.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
Erin

Erin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for PresidentErin should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLadyRae View Post
I heard Dorchester takes about a year nowadays, does anyone know if that's still true?
Dorchester has had my REQUESTED sub for 2 years. I gave up on it a long time ago (even after I was asked to resubmit via email last summer after approaching the editor at the RWA conference).

Old 08-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #15
Susan Gable
Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage

Susan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Right now, Dorchester is having some major financial issues.

As in, they've stopped paying their authors. I heard that at RWA directly from a Dorchester author herself.

From other info I've gathered, it seems they were hard hit when Anderson folded recently. (Recently is a relative term -- I can't remember exactly when that was.)

So...for the moment, until they get their money ducks back in a row, I don't know that I'd be in a hurry to submit to, or hear from, Dorchester.

<sigh>

Susan G.
The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
www.PCWebDoc.com
Fixing computers via the internet!
Susan Gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Susan Gable
Absolute Sage

Susan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tor has had a partial of mine since August of 2006. I'm pretty sure the program it was requested for never got off the ground, but I never got a rejection.

LOL.

Susan G.

www.PCWebDoc.com
Old 08-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #17
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We need something like this for romance publishers.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
MissLadyRae
I vaahnt to suck your blaahd

MissLadyRae is on a distinguished road
Well, I guess Dorchester is off my list lol. I'm glad I'm not the only non-response receiver for Tor (although it's a bummer, too).

Veinglory, that'd be great! I hope someone makes that. It would help tons.

MissLadyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #19
Dee Carney
Bringing sexy back

Dee Carney is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by veinglory View Post
We need something like this for romance publishers.
You know...I'm a bit of a math nerd. I'm pondering the feasibility of this spreadsheet on a web site. It shouldn't be too difficult...

I'm going to think about it a little more, but don't be surprised if the call for data comes within the month.
Dee Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #20
romancewriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I submitted to Harlequin Teen (query & synopsis) in May and haven't heard anything yet. I think each line is different.

I checked the guidelines for Har Teen the other day and I believe they only accept agented submission. I checked because I was thinking about submitting to them. Of course you may already know this, and you may have submitted through an agent, in which case, just tell me to butt out.

Sandy
Old 09-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #21
Erin

Quote:
Originally Posted by romancewriter View Post
I checked the guidelines for Har Teen the other day and I believe they only accept agented submission. I checked because I was thinking about submitting to them. Of course you may already know this, and you may have submitted through an agent, in which case, just tell me to butt out.

Sandy
The guidelines just changed within the last couple of weeks. Up until then, they were taking unagented subs (query & synopsis only), which is what I sent. I'm still working on the agent!

Old 09-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #22
romancewriter

I was thinking they may have changed because I thought they were open submission. I asked on the Harl boards about it and no one could remember how long ago they changed the submission guidelines. They should still consider yours since you submitted prior to the change. Good luck!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #23
Erin

I had just checked the Harl Teen guidelines again just 2 weeks ago and they were still taking unagented. So the change happened recently. I would think they'd still consider mine since I subbed when they were open.

Old 09-13-2009, 01:12 AM   #24
Write4Life
Living in the moment

Write4Life is on a distinguished road
I submitted to Harlequin Teen (query + synopsis) 3 months ago and I still haven't heard back. Anyone know how long it takes? I'm starting to think that I should forget about them and look at other publishers.
Write4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:31 AM   #25
Susan Gable
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write4Life View Post
I submitted to Harlequin Teen (query + synopsis) 3 months ago and I still haven't heard back. Anyone know how long it takes? I'm starting to think that I should forget about them and look at other publishers.
I know authors already multi-pubbed with HQ who aren't getting responses to submissions in less than 3 months.

Patience, grasshopper. It's not easy, but it's necessary in this biz.

Susan G.

www.PCWebDoc.com