Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Story Research: Experts and Interviewees Wanted
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Michael Davis
practical experience, FTW

Michael Davis is well-respected
taste of cocaine

I searched for this topic and found nothing. It's a question for a MS I'm working. Does Cocaine have a taste or smell? Is it sweet, bitter, sour, salty, etc.

No I'm not a fed and it's not a trick question. I'm asking for anyone that has seen it on the web or heard about it or was a LE officer. Was going to put it on the "Research board" but my old eye's couldn't find it.

Appreciate any inputs.

Tainted Hero, "Sometimes good people do bad things"
Blind Consent, "The answers lie in the secrets of the past."
Shadow of Guilt, "To every crossing of paths, there is a reason."
Touch of Blue, "What is our destiny?"
Veil of Deception , "Sometimes truth cuts deeper than a lie."

Michael Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
john barnes on toast

john barnes on toast is a shiny, shiny jeweljohn barnes on toast is a shiny, shiny jewel
I wouldn't say it has an absolute distinct taste that you pick out in a blindfold test, but there's a definite 'yeh, that could be coke' taste.

It's bitter, and quite unpleasant.
john barnes on toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
john barnes on toast

john barnes on toast is a shiny, shiny jeweljohn barnes on toast is a shiny, shiny jewel
it will very quickly give you a tingling and slightly aneasthestised sensation if applied to your gums, too.
john barnes on toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Willowmound
Lightly salted

Willowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admiration
The better it is, the number your tongue, gums, lips (wherever you put it) go.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The more it tastes like cat's pee, the better it is

Oh wait, that's speed.

A lot will depend on what it's cut with.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:16 PM   #6
Millicent M'Lady
Exploring the infinite abyss

Millicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMillicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMillicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMillicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMillicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMillicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMillicent M'Lady is better than ice cream with hot fudge
There is also "the drip" which travels from the back of your nose to your throat. (Apparently!) it tastes gritty and much like an ordinary tablet would. I've been told by (mental) friends that this is the best bit.

*disclaimer- I am not a crazy drug addict- I just seem to know a lot of "questionable" people!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
sleepsheep
persuasion by equation

sleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolness
According to Starsky & Hutch, it tastes just like artificial sweetner.
sleepsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
jennontheisland
the world is at my command

jennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjennontheisland is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
smells like plastic when it's burning (knew people who used to add it to their weed)

Eat This.
jennontheisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
sleepsheep
persuasion by equation

sleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolnesssleepsheep leaves trails of profuse coolness
Ok, possibly more accurate than Starsky & Hutch:
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-taste-cocaine

"Cocaine has no flavor, in and of itself. It's possible to detect the flavors of its cutting agents, such as sugar, flour, cornstarch, or baking soda. But that's not why you would taste cocaine. Tasting is a quick-and-dirty method of cocaine identification. Like the related drugs novocaine, benzocaine, and lidocaine, cocaine is an anesthetic, so it will numb the tongue."
sleepsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
Willowmound
Lightly salted

Willowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admirationWillowmound has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsheep View Post
According to Starsky & Hutch, it tastes just like artificial sweetner.
Clearly, they've never had any.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
Thomas_Anderson

Thomas_Anderson is on a distinguished road
Cops in movies and stuff don't lick it for taste, they lick it because it numbs their tongue and gums.

I'm pretty sure this isn't real life police protocol though. After all, it doesn't seem very smart to put a white, powdery substance that you have no idea what it is in your mouth. What if the drug guys laid a trap, and that powder was cyanide or something?
Thomas_Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
spike
Mostly Ignored

spike is a glorious beacon of lightspike is a glorious beacon of light
Cocaine doesn't have much of a taste, unless it is cut with something that has a flavor. It tastes like your own spit.

Progress Report:
Picture books (4): 52 rejections
Short Stories/Poetry (7): 41 Rejections

SOLD! 3 poems to Highlights!

Looking for a writing group in eastern Pennsylvania? Click here!
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
geardrops
Good thing I like my day job

geardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthoodgeardrops is a candidate for sainthood
I don't know about the taste but it smells fantastic.

Wait, what?

my blog - twitter
geardrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:27 AM   #14
ChrisKelly331
Peter Steele <3

ChrisKelly331 has earned our admirationChrisKelly331 has earned our admirationChrisKelly331 has earned our admirationChrisKelly331 has earned our admiration
It's kind of a neutral smell. It doesn’t smell like anything in particular but the taste is very bitter kind of harsh if it's a really good grade, if it's not anything good it still takes like crap but not as bad (when it's coming up from your throat, ick.) also
If you smoke it (depending on what it's cut with) it can taste really good.

hope this helps.

Constant Craving:Now Available from Cobblestone Press

Shadow Play: Now Available From Changeling Press (Jeri Duvall)
Down in a Hole: rewriting
#1 Crush: 55,000/55,000 (rewriting)

Last edited by ChrisKelly331; 08-26-2009 at 03:28 AM. Reason: forgot apostrophe
ChrisKelly331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:31 AM   #15
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey View Post
I don't know about the taste but it smells fantastic.

Wait, what?

seriously, though--anyone who buys cocaine on the street (ie--not a drug dealer) will taste what it's primarily cut with--and that can be pretty nasty. Baking soda is used a lot to cut cocaine with and sometimes gives the drug a taste that is similar to kerosene.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:50 AM   #16
Wayne K
Banned

Wayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We used to cut it with milk sugar or inositol to give it a sweet taste. Or so it goes.
Wayne K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
Michael Davis

Michael Davis is well-respected
Wow, like of good experience here. My take from all the input: if its good its bitter, and it will numb the tongue. That's what I needed cause I have no experience at all. Thanks everyone.

Tainted Hero, "Sometimes good people do bad things"
Blind Consent, "The answers lie in the secrets of the past."
Shadow of Guilt, "To every crossing of paths, there is a reason."
Touch of Blue, "What is our destiny?"
Veil of Deception , "Sometimes truth cuts deeper than a lie."

Michael Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:54 AM   #18
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Anderson View Post
Cops in movies and stuff don't lick it for taste, they lick it because it numbs their tongue and gums.

I'm pretty sure this isn't real life police protocol though. After all, it doesn't seem very smart to put a white, powdery substance that you have no idea what it is in your mouth. What if the drug guys laid a trap, and that powder was cyanide or something?
Or suppose it's LSD, and a little taste will put you on a full fledged trip.

"Tasting" an unknown drug is insanely stupid. I suppose there are cops who would do that, but they're not very bright, and no, it's absolutely not protocol. Quite the opposite.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #19
dgiharris
Disgruntled Scientist

dgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcat View Post

"Tasting" an unknown drug is insanely stupid. I suppose there are cops who would do that, but they're not very bright, and no, it's absolutely not protocol. Quite the opposite.
Love how its par for the course in Hollywood though.

Mel...
Old 08-26-2009, 06:14 PM   #20
smcc360
I've Got An MFA In LEO

smcc360 is a glorious beacon of lightsmcc360 is a glorious beacon of lightsmcc360 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcat View Post

Or suppose that, for some bizarre reason, it's cocaine or heroin that isn't cut with anything. In which case Detective Taste-Test gets an inspector's funeral.

Rugcat is right on. If you don't know what it is, don't put it in your mouth.* They make some very nice field testing kits that work really well.

As for the OP's question, I've had the taste/smell described as 'asprin-ey'. However, that isn't from the most reliable sources in the world. I'd be more inclined to believe the Straight Dope link that sleepsheep posted.

*This is good advice for a wide range of situations, not just narcotics enforcement.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #21
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ask the Expert forum is back, so I moved this thread into it, where it seems a better fit.

In this post I start my own exercise using Thorn Forest as the subject, and invite you to do the same with any poem posted here which challenges and inspires you..

Kylabelle's Cloudy with a Chance of Mermaids

In the critique forum (password: citrus)

I'm Here for You by jasonbwell

Steppe's, Some One-Thing

For Men of No Importance, by ZachJPayne

Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:59 PM   #22
EFCollins
World Class Rambler

Location: Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you screaming....
EFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEFCollins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh man...

GOOD coke has a harsh, astringent/medicinal taste, but not like a pill. Almost a chemical taste/smell. The smell should be quite strong, like fingernail polish remover, but the smell isn't noticeable as much (note, I did say as much... you can stick your nose in a bag of coke and definitely smell it, but it's not as POW! In your face...) until you snort it. The taste is unlike anything else I've ever tasted.... and nothing in the world tastes so good as good ether-based cocaine. When you get the drain... oh my frigging god. It's such a rush. Once you snort it, your nasal passages and throat go numb and if it's the good stuff, your top teeth go numb too... and you want to talk and talk and move around and do shit just to be doing it. The numb comes back full force after the drainage starts. My husband and I used to get product that was at 92% purity... damn good coke, in other words. The drain was as good as the first sniff.

However, if you buy oil based cocaine, which isn't as good by any standards, the numb isn't as noticeable, the taste is a bit oily with nearly no smell at all and when you cut it out, oil-based coke tends to stick to the razor blade, where as ether-base coke will not. Oil-base will stick to the baggie too, and ether-base will not. It's hard to find ether-based coke in most places because of the availability of ether. Oil-base is more common now-a-days, but I wouldn't touch it if it was free. Ether-base on the other hand... oh man oh man.

ETA: Not that this means anything, but I used coke for about 2 and 1/2 years, so I'm very familiar with the taste and smell. I still crave it, still have sensory flashbacks, IE: I'll still get the taste in my mouth sometimes if I'm around something that reminds me of coke, white powder, the smell of paint thinner or fingernail polish remover.

The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest is here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
The problem's not the genre, the problem is that people are idiots.
I finally got 700 monkeys! Now... all I need is 700 typewriters and a way to live for 700 years.

Blog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFCollins View Post
WHO ATE MY SEVERED HANDS????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leukman View Post
They're in the stew.

Last edited by EFCollins; 08-26-2009 at 09:15 PM.
EFCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #23
PeterL
Sockpuppet

PeterL is a shiny, shiny jewelPeterL is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_Anderson View Post

I haven't read it or seen it, but there should be something about a cop licking an unknown substance and dying as a result. Unfortunately, there aren't many substances that would kill with a touch to the tongue. Cyanide might not do anything with so little, or it might cause a hallucinogenic experience.
PeterL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:32 AM   #24
StephanieFox
Maybull the Bulldog

StephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthoodStephanieFox is a candidate for sainthood
I was given pure cocaine by a doctor when I had stitches inside my nose. It had no smell that I could tell but it sure did numb the tissues. It also constricts the blood vessels, which stops bleeding. Pure stuff numbs so quickly that I suspect that it kills the sense of smell and taste.

I think the characters on TV who 'taste' it are looking to feel the numbing sensation and are not looking for a certain flavor. If it were cut with something, it would taste like that.

As far as getting a buzz, I was quite unimpressed.

Two months ago I couldn't even spell freelance writer
and now I are one.

StephanieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #25
not_HarryS
Peen Copter Aficionado

not_HarryS leaves trails of profuse coolnessnot_HarryS leaves trails of profuse coolnessnot_HarryS leaves trails of profuse coolnessnot_HarryS leaves trails of profuse coolnessnot_HarryS leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFCollins View Post
Oh man...

GOOD coke has a harsh, astringent/medicinal taste, but not like a pill. Almost a chemical taste/smell. The smell should be quite strong, like fingernail polish remover, but the smell isn't noticeable as much (note, I did say as much... you can stick your nose in a bag of coke and definitely smell it, but it's not as POW! In your face...) until you snort it. The taste is unlike anything else I've ever tasted.... and nothing in the world tastes so good as good ether-based cocaine. When you get the drain... oh my frigging god. It's such a rush. Once you snort it, your nasal passages and throat go numb and if it's the good stuff, your top teeth go numb too... and you want to talk and talk and move around and do shit just to be doing it. The numb comes back full force after the drainage starts. My husband and I used to get product that was at 92% purity... damn good coke, in other words. The drain was as good as the first sniff.

However, if you buy oil based cocaine, which isn't as good by any standards, the numb isn't as noticeable, the taste is a bit oily with nearly no smell at all and when you cut it out, oil-based coke tends to stick to the razor blade, where as ether-base coke will not. Oil-base will stick to the baggie too, and ether-base will not. It's hard to find ether-based coke in most places because of the availability of ether. Oil-base is more common now-a-days, but I wouldn't touch it if it was free. Ether-base on the other hand... oh man oh man.

ETA: Not that this means anything, but I used coke for about 2 and 1/2 years, so I'm very familiar with the taste and smell. I still crave it, still have sensory flashbacks, IE: I'll still get the taste in my mouth sometimes if I'm around something that reminds me of coke, white powder, the smell of paint thinner or fingernail polish remover.
QFT. I myself had an, erm, coke phase too, and there's no way of describing its taste other than "chemical-y". Haha. A little bit like aspirin, if you've ever let one sit on the back of your tongue -- but crisper, almost. It's not at all as unpleasant as it sounds, though, even the drips. Like EFCollins said, cocaine'll make your throat, gums and --if you've got the good shit-- teeth go numb, but the sensation goes away after about 10 minutes or so. So you gotta' keep bumping or doing "gummies" to keep it.

You really don't notice the taste so much after awhile other than loving it for nothing more than reminding you that you're on cocaine, which is wonderful.

Playing Mario Party 64 while on cocaine is highly recommended.
not_HarryS is offline   Reply With Quote