Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Writing For Kids
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2011, 11:56 PM   #1676
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I averaged 14K a day on my writing weekend in August

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #1677
Kelkelen
Writer-In-Progress

Kelkelen has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I averaged 14K a day on my writing weekend in August

I salute you! (I *have* done some looong "catchup" days on NaNo, but I could never manage that for more than, say, two days in a row!)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #1678
JoyMC
practical experience, FTW

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaJG View Post
I queried an agent in August, and got an automated response that they were closed to submissions until Sept. 1st. When I checked back in September, they had updated the website to say they were closed indefinitely. So I was really surprised when I got a response on Sunday saying they'd like to see my full.

The problem? I sent the full, as requested, and got another automated response saying they were closed to submissions. Should I follow up? According to the boards here, this agent is taking 5 months on fulls. I would hate to wait that long only to find out my submission hit her spam folder. On the other hand, if my query got read despite the auto-response, maybe I should assume my full will be, too?
hi Sheila. i saw your post on the agency thread and can tell you two things for sure about this agent, who has a full of mine right now. the first is that, from personal experience, she definitely receives AND reads emails that have been responded to with the auto-responder. AND that she is super, super sweet and understanding through all stages of correspondence. so if you would feel more comfortable resubbing, don't worry that she's going to be annoyed. when she requested, did she give you an alternate email address to send the full to? that's what she did with me. but even so, she's obviously very thorough with the emails, since she responded to your query even when she was closed to subs.

anyway, congrats on the request!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:02 AM   #1679
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks Joy. The request came from her scout, without mention of an alternate email, just directions on how to title my word-compatible doc. She called my first 15 pages "hilarious" - so of course I love her now. Hee hee.

I guess we'll be waiting together! Maybe, since she's closed again to queries, she can get through her stack of submissions faster. Here's hoping!

Represented by Molly Ker Hawn of The Bent Agency
Twitter
SheilaJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #1680
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
here's hoping, although she was closed all summer and it doesn't seem to have helped the people who have been waiting for 5+ months. she was actually only open for the first week of September. she seems committed to really taking her time, and i've heard she gives a lot of feedback, even on R's. so, it's good in the long run. in the meantime - hilarious is very encouraging!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:53 AM   #1681
sissybaby

sissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthoodsissybaby is a candidate for sainthood
Congrats, Sheila. Keeping good thoughts for you. That's really exciting news.
sissybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 04:00 AM   #1682
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yay for Sheila! Cupcake time!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #1683
RuthD
careful...you'll end up in my novel

RuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admirationRuthD has earned our admiration
Good luck, Sheila!
Old 10-13-2011, 06:29 AM   #1684
SheilaJG

SheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthoodSheilaJG is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks guys, I'll take all the luck I can get. And cupcakes, I never pass up cupcakes. Yum.

Twitter
Old 10-13-2011, 08:50 PM   #1685
CheG

CheG has a spectacular aura
Just got Skullduggery Pleasant FREE on my Kindle
CheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #1686
jtrylch13
Has semi-colon; will use it!

jtrylch13 is a shiny, shiny jeweljtrylch13 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
She called my first 15 pages "hilarious" - so of course I love her now. Hee hee.

Your first fifteen pages ARE hilarious! Good luck Sheila and congratulations on the full!
jtrylch13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #1687
jtrylch13
Has semi-colon; will use it!

jtrylch13 is a shiny, shiny jeweljtrylch13 is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheG View Post
Just got Skullduggery Pleasant FREE on my Kindle

How did you get it free? I have been thinking about reading those books, but I won't pay for them!
jtrylch13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #1688
swachski
ripply

swachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsswachski is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sheila, that is great news! I remember a couple months ago how discouraged you were -- I'm glad to hear that you stuck with it and things are looking up. It must feel so good to have someone in the business validate your talent. My fingers are crossed for you during this next step.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didnít do than by the ones you did so. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. ó Mark Twain
swachski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #1689
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
GOOD LUCK, SHEILA. Is this on Minion School? *bounces around*

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 10-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #1690
SheilaJG

Thanks, guys! Swachski - it's true, I was so depressed. I couldn't get the opening to where I wanted. Then one agent sent me a revise and resubmit, saying she thought the voice was trying too hard, so I tweaked and tweaked. I sent the new version out to a few other agents, to test it before I sent it back to the first agent - and I ended up with two full requests! What makes this exciting, for me, is that both of those queries included a good chunk of writing - 8 pages and 15 pages, and my writing didn't scare them off!

Sage - yep, that's the one. My baby, born of Smish's writing prompt and lots and lots and lots of feedback here. Including yours!

Twitter
Old 10-15-2011, 04:52 AM   #1691
Ferret
Dook!

Ferret is a glorious beacon of lightFerret is a glorious beacon of light
Good luck, Sheila. You have a really great story!
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #1692
Sage
AW Moderator

Quote:
Sage - yep, that's the one. My baby, born of Smish's writing prompt and lots and lots and lots of feedback here. Including yours!
I didn't know it came from a prompt. That's so cool

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 10-15-2011, 06:51 AM   #1693
timp67
Guinea pig in the laboratory of God

timp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstimp67 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Good luck, Sheila! That's awesome!

THE BOY WHO HOWLED
from Bloomsbury USA Children's Books

timp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #1694
Ferret
Dook!

Ferret is a glorious beacon of lightFerret is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I didn't know it came from a prompt. That's so cool
That is pretty cool. Maybe I should start doing the prompts...
Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:17 AM   #1695
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
That is pretty cool. Maybe I should start doing the prompts...
The novel MsJudy is querying now also began with a prompt, if I'm not mistaken. The prompts can be great sources of inspiration. And they're just lots of fun.

Good luck, Sheila! You know how much I love those little minions.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #1696
MsJudy

MsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMsJudy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smish View Post
The novel MsJudy is querying now also began with a prompt, if I'm not mistaken. The prompts can be great sources of inspiration.
Yep, that's right. The very first one, in fact. I feel a bit guilty, never participating in another one since then, but once the idea came to me, the book just sort of took over. And now I'm working on another one in the same vein only more Gothic and creepy, plus I have a sequel planned if that should be desired...

So, yeah. Dive into a prompt or two. You never know where it will lead!
Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #1697
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ha! We forgive you, Judy.

For anyone interested, all the prompts can be found in this stickied thread.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #1698
Sage
AW Moderator

The short story I have subbed to the SFF Anthology started out as a flash fiction prompt, but you'd never know from the original prompt how I got there, since along the way, there were two different novels involved

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 PM   #1699
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hi all, I interviewed 47 4th-6th graders last week about the kinds of books they liked to read and about ebooks. I did a long post on the Project Mayhem blog, but I wanted to post a couple of things here I found interesting. Twenty-seven of forty-seven kids had read a book on an ereader, and seven of them had their own. Now this is an affluent school, but the numbers still surprised me. Also, I was pleasantly surprised that boys indicated they liked mysteries and historicals as some of their top choices. That wasn't what I expected.
Amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:22 PM   #1700
Sage
AW Moderator

Those numbers surprise me too, but it's kinda cool, I think.

Hero/Villain Series: