Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
The Kidd
Not an actual kid...or goat.

The Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputationThe Kidd has a golden reputation
Courier New vs. Courier? Whats the difference?

I have Microsoft Word, I think the 07 version. In the font list it only has Courier New and not Courier. I know I need Courier for my manuscript. Are they they same thing? If not, how can I get Corier? Can you download it from the microsoft website?

Help?

WIP:
Miraculous Mr. D: MG Fantasy>: 36k/45k

(Untitled Kelpie story) Paranormal Romance>: 3.5k/50k

The Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:43 AM   #2
ChristineR
What happened?

Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
ChristineR is a glorious beacon of lightChristineR is a glorious beacon of light
The name "Courier New" is trademarked--both are flavors of the type style known generically as Courier. Under the right conditions, they look alike.

Courier New is a Truetype font, which means that it's defined as a series of lines and circles and can be scaled to any size. Courier is a fixed size font, optimized for use on older computer monitors where the dot size can be crude enough so that certain fancy fonts start to look misshapen. In almost every case, you want Courier New.
ChristineR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #3
ComicBent
practical experience, FTW

ComicBent is on a distinguished road
Courier, etc.

For a full discussion of the Courier issue, see my essay on my website (PDF format, with examples of many flavors of Courier).
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
EvPowers
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

EvPowers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicBent View Post
For a full discussion of the Courier issue, see my essay on my website (PDF format, with examples of many flavors of Courier).
I know I'm resurrecting a dead post, but thanks for your essay, Comic. I found Courier 10 BT and have installed it. It was just what I've been looking for. I dislike Courier New and agree that the line spacing is off.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Courier New is fine, but simply does not print very dark, and is a little harde rto rea don a screen. Courier Dark, Courier Final Draft, Courier 10BT, as well as a couple of others, all print much better than Courier New.

I can't remember what it's called, but there's also a new Courier font that was created primarily for screenplays that looks amazing on paper, and on the screen.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
sekime
Writing and learning

sekime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvPowers View Post
I know I'm resurrecting a dead post, but thanks for your essay, Comic. I found Courier 10 BT and have installed it. It was just what I've been looking for. I dislike Courier New and agree that the line spacing is off.
There's no reason not to use this...new, improved and free.

http://quoteunquoteapps.com/courierprime/
sekime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
WriterTrek
Boldy Writing

WriterTrek is a splendid one to beholdWriterTrek is a splendid one to beholdWriterTrek is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekime View Post
There's no reason not to use this...new, improved and free.

http://quoteunquoteapps.com/courierprime/
This is a great link, thanks. But I have to ask -- are there any potential issues when using it to send Word docs to people? I know sometimes if the person opening the file doesn't have the font that you used it will default to something else, and so on. It does look better than Courier New, but I worry about it being less common in some situations.

Also since it is noticably different, would any editors/agents/whatever have an issue with the manuscript not being in Courier New? I know the main thing is that it's monospaced and easy to read, but yeah.

Thanks again -- have already installed.
WriterTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Reziac
Resident Alien

Reziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsReziac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks all above for resurrecting this thread... very interesting article on the Courier variants, and Courier-Prime is quite nice. Gleefully added to my collection (...er, hoard... I have upward of 17,000 fonts, at last count. )