Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #251
evol_reed
figuring it all out

evol_reed is on a distinguished road
I sent the partial submission to the PO Box.
evol_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #252
evol_reed
figuring it all out

evol_reed is on a distinguished road
Received a form rejection on my full manuscript today, that I had to print out and mail as "Our computer is frequently used for responding to emails and queries, and it would be easier to read your work in the print form." So that was an expense on my part, and I received a form rejection.
evol_reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:18 AM   #253
honeysock
Tell me to leave. Please.

honeysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of lighthoneysock is a glorious beacon of light
Very sorry evol. I know that's painful. Been there.

Perhaps it's time for Mr. Miller to INVEST IN A KINDLE.

Last edited by honeysock; 07-02-2011 at 11:56 PM. Reason: eliminated the sarcasm because I couldn't find that font
honeysock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #254
Louisa
practical experience, FTW

Louisa is on a distinguished road
Well, I queried them on the 19th of may and still nothing, but then apparently they really take a long time to read stuff, so I won't worry, life's short ...
Louisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:34 AM   #255
CynV
The Original Cyn

CynV is well-respected
Does anyone know how long it takes them to respond to manuscript submissions?
CynV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:39 AM   #256
Clovia
Flying blind on a rocket cycle.

Clovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsClovia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You might go up to Bewares and Background Checks to see if there's a thread on them. The "Index" sticky will have a jump to their thread.

Last edited by Clovia; 07-18-2011 at 07:42 AM.
Clovia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #257
kenpochick
I should be writing, not on AW.:-)

kenpochick is a shiny, shiny jewelkenpochick is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've got a full with them but it was the strangest request...
Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 PM   #258
Calla Lily
Formerly known as callalily61
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gang, I'm going to merge this thread with the existing PMA thread in BR&BC.

Seat belts fastened? Trays in the upright and locked position? Here we go...

ETA: And we have arrived at our destination, with many thanks to CaoPaux.

Last edited by Calla Lily; 07-18-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Calla Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #259
shiler
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

shiler is on a distinguished road
Prompt whirlwind of activity

My co-author and I queried Peter at the first of August and received a reply in less than 48 hours. Peter has since requested our synopsis and mss, which we have sent. He has also called me on my cell twice. He has been very nice and is only interested in manuscripts that he feels have the potential to be a feature film.

He sent me a copy of his new book and I highly recommend that everyone read it. It will give you great insight into the publishing world, but even greater insight into Peter as a person. I truly believe that he is interested in Lisa and me, as people. He is not interested in selling a book. He is interested in developing the long-term careers of his clients.

I read a post that someone had made about him being sued. Yes, he has been sued once and it was thrown out of court. All of the plaintiffs appeals have been denied as well. The poster wanted everyone to know that Peter had been sued, but, apparently, didn't feel the need to tell the whole truth of the matter. That is just bad form.

All in all, I am pleased as punch with Peter.
shiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #260
Maddie
Roe Draje

Maddie is on a distinguished road
I received an email from PMA yesterday in response to a recent query:

"PMA is moving offices and temporarily suspending the acceptance of any new submissions until after October 31, 2011. We are only working with our existing clients during this transition."

Either it's the real-deal, or a very unique way of sending out an "R".
Maddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 AM   #261
Pomegranate Paul
spangle maker

Pomegranate Paul is on a distinguished road
Just noticed Adrienne Rosada now shows on The Nancy Yost Literary Agency site as combo agent/foreign rights, so it looks like she has left PMA.
Pomegranate Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #262
pavtbr
practical experience, FTW

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
PMA Not Accepting Queries

Sent a query just now and got this automated resposne:

Dear Author,

Thank you for your interest in PMA Literary and Film Management, Inc.

We are in the process of moving our corporate headquarters and are not accepting any new submissions at this time, unless they are of an urgent and highly commercial nature and the author has a major platform and substantial social media campaign.

Visit our submission guidelines at
www.pmalitfilm.com for future updates.

Please check out Author! Screenwriter! as an ebook on sale at
www.bn.com.

Kind Regards,

Peter Miller and the PMA Team
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 PM   #263
miles
Pack Leader

miles has a spectacular auramiles has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavtbr View Post

We are in the process of moving our corporate headquarters and are not accepting any new submissions at this time, unless they are of an urgent and highly commercial nature and the author has a major platform and substantial social media campaign.
This will probably lead to even more submissions, since almost every author believes their work is highly commercial/urgent and their 2000 Twitter followers are just waiting to buy their book.
miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #264
Vivia

Vivia is on a distinguished road
I received this from Peter:

"PMA is not accepting any new submissions unless the project is of an urgent matter or, of extraordinary immediate value in the marketplace. Or, if the author wants to hire me as a consultant to guide their career, please contact me again ( I have pasted in a flyer below and also attach). I am only interested in growing my company with long term relationships with professional authors who write cutting-edge books with global marketing potential and motion picture and television production potential. I also require that any author I work with have a thorough knowledge of internet and viral marketing."

then he advertised his book and attached a pdf file of reviews. ??
Just weird.
Vivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #265
shiler

shiler is on a distinguished road
My co-author and I have just received an offer for a author-agent contract with Peter. We have flown to Miami and met him in person. The man is amazing and he truly cares about building long-term relationships with those he chooses to represent. He rejects an extremely high percentage of submissions, but he is worth the effort. Peter only wants submissions that have serious movie potential, so be forewarned. He has incredible insight and has been an invaluable resource for us. Good luck to everyone here.
shiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #266
Tirjasdyn
Outline Maven

Tirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admirationTirjasdyn has earned our admiration
I tried sending an email query as per the guidelines on the website but all email addresses are receiving fatal errors. I may try a snail mail query for the project I'm working on.
Web Designer, Writer

I used to be amused by Utopians. With life experience, I have grown to fear them. The great failing of Utopians is that they can never accept that someone else might not want to
be a part of their utopian vision. Like ill-mannered tourists, they assume that if you don't agree with them, it must be because they're not explaining it simply enough, or often enough, or loudly enough, or ultimately, because you're stupid. Utopians always think achieving Utopia is simply a matter of education—and then re-education—and then coercion, legislation, litigation medication conditioning threats book-burnings eugenics surgical modifications hunting down the counter-revolutionaries killing the reactionaries genetic engineering—and ultimately all Utopians, no matter how nobly they begin, always end up at the same conclusion: that the only thing that keeps Man from building a secular heaven here on Earth is the nature of Man, therefore we must build a New and Better Man.

--The Ranting Room

Tirjasdyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #267
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I got a strange email from Peter after I sent in my query (I didn't even adhere to the guidelines) and he sent me all these attachments and links (half of them I couldn't open) and said if we share a common interest then to get back to him. He didn't ask to see more of my work (not yet at least.) But at least it wasn't a "no" either. Have you guys gotten anything like this?
Undercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #268
codeorange
Some of my friends are fictional.

codeorange is on a distinguished road
Dear Undercover:

I didn't think that Peter Miller was excepting query letters at this time. Did you send an email at pmalitfil@aol.com ?
codeorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #269
Undercover
I got it covered

Undercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUndercover is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I did. Why? Does that make a difference?
Old 06-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #270
codeorange

Oops. (bangs head on desk) What I meant to write was accepting query letters--it was a long day. Peter Miller is in the process of moving and temporarily closed to submissions. I think he sent you that strange email as a way to tell you to follow his guidelines. Just check his web site for when to resend. Yes, I believe you have the correct email.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #271
Undercover
I got it covered

The email didn't say to follow the guidelines or to resend at a later date. He said if we have common interests (links and attached) then to get back to him.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #272
codeorange

Good luck! He'd be a great agent.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:38 AM   #273
Undercover
I got it covered

Well apparently it went from weird to weirder. I wrote him back saying I was interested in hearing more, (really I didn't know what else to say...like I said, he didn't ask to see the ms. yet) and he responded with: "What do you want to hear?"

AND when I wrote him, I brought up again, let me know if you want to see the ms. type of thing, and he didn't mention anything about it. Strange.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #274
richcapo
Knight Templar

richcapo has a spectacular aurarichcapo has a spectacular aura
Spoke to Mr. Miller on Monday. He requested my full. He is a very nice and very professional man in my opinion.

I'll keep you posted.

It was that bastard man’s voice that woke my father. Papu found himself back in his cell, lying atop a lush bed crafted of various male and female organs and his enemy's passions. Strong with that bastard man’s magic, the organs restrained Papu and sensually rubbed against him. Some xxxxxxx him and some xxxxxx with his xxxxxxx.

Poetry and Jest
richcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #275
JustaDude

JustaDude is on a distinguished road
So, Richard, have you heard back from PMI yet? I was wondering how long they take/took to read your full manuscript request. Hopefully, you had good luck..........
JustaDude is offline   Reply With Quote