The Jazzy July MTS 500 words/day thread--all genres welcome

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I swear I'm still stuck in October. If Clair hadn't mentioned July I might never have known. Not even the fourth of July parties are snapping me out of it. Heck, it still feels like fall here!

832 yesterday, including some of the lamest stuff I've ever written. What's wrong with me?! Someone poke, please...

PS Thanks to Spring for the Jazzy title.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
heyjude: :poke:

Got about a page written last night, but I'm hoping to get a lot done this weekend.

DocBrown

Hopes to one day write for food.
Registered
Reaction score
I was hoping someone would get this thread going. I didn't want to have to be the one to start it twice in a row. Especially since I didn't even average 500 words a day in June. (Close! 478 words, but no cigar!) I suppose I could make the excuse that it was due to all the travel and family BS, but that is just an excuse.

As for July, I have a rather inauspicious beginning since I went out of town on the first and yesterday I was suprememly lazy. ;) But today I wrote 2001 words (and yes, I added in 7 just to get over that last mark :tongue ).

So I am done with Chapter 23. I now have one chapter and the epilogue to go! Yeah, I decided on the epilogue. I felt it was important the reader should know the MC gets banished from the City of Angels for winning the duel and saving the Angel's lives. Poor kid will never be welcome in Heaven again. Sniff! Sniff!

Hope everyone continues to make good progress this month! :D

I'm starting to look forward to my rewrite!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
About five pages written in the notebook today, and I'm pleased with how the scene turned out.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
A grand whopping total of 123 yesterday. Which my 6 y o dd accused me of making up. But I didn't. Anyway, a lame number, but I have a great excuse. ::flips through excuse box:: Oh, yes, we had a showing on the house yesterday. Well, last night. Well, really, really late last night.

Okay, there's no real excuse. Today I'm on it.

Hettie

Once and future Queen......
Registered
Reaction score
May I join? I had the wonderful goal of 1000 words a day in June... I started the goal on the 7th of June... Made that goal... but now that I am in the middle I think I need a more realistic goal... 500 sounds GREAT!!!

I took yesterday and the day before off though... will start right now.

Is it horrible to make one of the MC's disappear at the end?

Last edited:

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Hettie! More the merrier.

When you say "make an MC disappear", what do you mean? Through a magic door or something?

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: Hettie! Glad you're here.

TheIT's right, we need more info on "disappearing." If your MC is present and accounted for in one chapter and simply never comes back, yes, that's a problem.

Happy Fourth to all the Americans! :partyguy:

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
ok, there is a fight... the MC is shot, the other MC is shot and passes out... when she wakes up in the hospital, the first MC is gone... It is a little supernatural though... I the author know where he is...

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Got 667 words tonight.

Welcome Hettie! 500 words is a nice goal... and I'm a big proponent of keeping going if the ball is rolling. Sometimes after a good nudge, the ball rolls pretty well.

I finally got the title for my car!!! Monday I get to put the plate on my new car... unfortunately it has wait until AFTER work. Curses. I'm off work for a month and the FIRST day I go back to a set schedule is when I finally get the title. If I wrote that in a book, I'd be hung in effigy. =P

deserata

writerly painter
Registered
Reaction score
It's been raining ALL DAY where I'm at, so the 4th of July festivities have been pushed back to tomorrow! I'm bummed!

But hey, I got 800 words in, so it worked out... :D

Welcome, Hettie!

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure of the word count, but I finished the scene and started transcribing it. Next scene I can lift from the first draft (finally), then my creepy character gets to come out to play. :D

Hettie, there are always more words. Don't worry, you'll find them. As for the missing MC - are you ending the book on a cliffhanger? If the story question is answered but a character goes away, I don't think that would bother me as a reader. But if the story's left dangling, that would bug me greatly.

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Hettie! :)

TheIt stole my line about there being more than just 30k words. Oh well, should have posted sooner. ;)

Anyway, I worked hard today trying to finish up my story and after 3031 words, I didn't even manage to finish the chapter.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be the day I can claim victory over this project. Just need to finish this chapter and write the epilogue. Another two or three thousand words with any luck.

There's a lot of people making a lot of progress! Keep it up everyone!

FYI, HeyJude, writing up excuses for your excuse box doesn't count. :Lecture:

Clair Dickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Today's theme was... "Almost."

Almost bought a new dining table, but didn't.
Almost got to bed early, but didn't.
Almost finished the lawn, but didn't.
Almost got a chance to write, but didn't.
Almost got the cat to take a treat from my hand, but didn't.
=P

Maybe tomorrow.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Poor Claire! Keep after all of them! Especially that cat. It sounds like you're making progress. And good luck with the car.

Doc, good luck getting finished!

As for me, I got about 341 words on Saturday. Then none yesterday. ::flips through excuse box again, elbows Doc out of the way before he starts lecturing:: We had multiple offers on our house. So... yeah. That's my excuse. I was in shock.

BUT I did consult my expert in Pretty Much Everything (DH) and he gave me some incredibly wicked cool ideas for accomplishing what I want to do. (Yanno, destroying lives, wrecking cities, etc.) A year ago I would have said I don't have the chops to pull off this kind of story, but now... now I think I do (gulp). Now I just have to find time to write it.

Does this post count toward my 500 words? Cause it's getting pretty long.

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Does this post count toward my 500 words? Cause it's getting pretty long.

That is funny- I think I asked that question in the Pub thread 2 weeks ago... the pubbers ignored the question... I will answer...

I don't think so, unless you copy and paste into your WIP...

510 last night... woohoo!!! But, I laid my head down on my pillow and realized I put a plot hole in... so must move the scene around today.... hmmm... bummer!!

Good luck today everyone!! Hettie

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Finished transcribing the scene yesterday, but I'm not sure of the word count. I'm trying to figure out whether the next scene should be a crowd scene or whether I can skip that and move on to the fun stuff. ;)

Hettie, I write fantasy, but my WIP is turning into a murder mystery. How about you?

And no, posts and writing up excuses for the excuse box don't count towards the 500 words/day. :D

:Sun: and :poke:, everyone!

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm... the GENRE question...

Here goes... started as a mystery, with a bit of fantasy, turned into a bit of a romance, a little naughtiness (so not me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), so it would be chicklitmysfan.... Can't put me in a box!

Fixed the holes I created last night! WOOHOO!!! How is everyone else doing?

Last edited:

DocBrown

Registered
Reaction score
All Done! 2530 words today. :partyguy:

25 chapters featuring 56,136 words. Can't wait to rewrite it so it is not so tight. It's really begging to be 80-90k words.

So, here's the big question? Do I take a few days maybe a week off, or do I start the rewrite tomorrow?

What does everyone else do for their rewrites/edits?

Hettie

Registered
Reaction score
All Done! 2530 words today. :partyguy:

25 chapters featuring 56,136 words. Can't wait to rewrite it so it is not so tight. It's really begging to be 80-90k words.

So, here's the big question? Do I take a few days maybe a week off, or do I start the rewrite tomorrow?

What does everyone else do for their rewrites/edits?

Since you are asking... I personally would print it.... book a flight to somewhere with a beach... and start the edit on the plane with a pen, red always seems so mean, so maybe green.

Get to the beach as soon as you can... edit some more. Rake your little toes in the sand. Open a bottle of (beer, water, soda, whatever) and edit some more.

Don't like sun, then wait until the night to edit on the beach. Listen to the waves. They are soothing and will help you work.

Gotta go.... must book a flight to a beach!

Clair Dickson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Congrats Doc!

As for me, I tend to start editing right after I finish. I'm usually excited about realigning things so they fit with the ending. (I'm not an outliner.)

Nothing today. Except for a pair of wet pants when I pissed myself upon realizing I'd misread the deadlines for my grad course. Not only did I miss one... I learned that my already insane workload is actualy twice as big as previously thought. Apparently students in this course are not supposed to be doing anything but take this one grad course... I mean, we're all teachers in this teacher-oriented course, so we must all have the summer off. I like getting screwed, but not like this.

I'm hoping to use my breaks for writing, but only if my stress level inches down from [Lengthy string of expletives] to [Triplet of Expletives].

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray::hooray::hooray: Doc! What a great feeling! When I finish, I do a pass right away, then put the ms away for about 6 weeks. For me, that's long enough that it gives me fresh eyes, but not so long as I lose the thread of what I was trying to accomplish. Then I edit for a bit, and repeat (another 4-6 weeks, another edit) for as long as necessary until I A) Give up or B) Am happy. Congrats!

Hettie, that beach sounds soooo nice. Can I come? My ungrateful snot of a friend called from the beach yesterday. ("What? I can't hear you over all the fun I'm having...") Grrr.

I got on the ball yesterday with 961 words, including one of my all time favorite lines. Don't you love it when that happens?