Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Sports and Fitness
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM   #1
poetinahat
Odalisque obelisk
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
South Africa, 2010

Australia's in the World Cup again. Last team to qualify for '06, first team to qualify for '10 (did it last week with two matches to spare). Go boys!

...But since we're calling it football now, can we please find another name for the national team? "Socceroos"... well, no.

-- Bob Dylan

poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
dclary
Survivor

dclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I hear that Kangaroo they drafted for winger is phenomenal.

Hard Hobbit to Break: A hobbit from the Shire, lost in Los Angeles.

Big Fat Loser Diet: My weight loss journal.
Website a Week: A challenge to design a new website every week.
DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here
dclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
regdog
Hey, check me out
AW Moderator

Location: I'm a velociraptor on a bike, your argument is invalid
regdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsregdog is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let's see if the US can qualify

My Blog-The Character Assassination of Starscream

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing
regdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #4
poetinahat
Odalisque obelisk
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclary View Post
I hear that Kangaroo they drafted for winger is phenomenal.
Yup... ever since he was a joey, he's been dangerous from the pocket.

Aaaand they close out the qualifiers with a 2-1 victory over Japan -- in which they conceded the first goal of the entire campaign.

Tim Cahill's just brilliant. I thought it was tremendously ironic that Noel Gallagher said Cahill has a face you just want to slap. If ever a slappable face was put on a head, it's Noel's.

Anyhoo - we're on our way!

-- Bob Dylan

Old 06-19-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Cassiopeia
Otherwise Occupied

Cassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm not much into soccer but since you posted the name: South Africa, you knew I had to peek in.

OH and *stalks poet*
Old 06-19-2009, 05:43 AM   #6
KTC
THE REASONS - Now Available!

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassiopeia View Post
I'm not much into soccer but since you posted the name: South Africa, you knew I had to peek in.

OH and *stalks poet*

Haha! I knew I would find you here. And I just came in because I'm East Africa 2009! hehe.
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
Cassiopeia
Otherwise Occupied

Cassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCassiopeia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
Haha! I knew I would find you here. And I just came in because I'm East Africa 2009! hehe.
But, but...I miss being there so very much.

Poet, isn't this going to be held in Port Elizabeth?
Old 06-24-2009, 04:00 AM   #8
razibahmed
AW Addict

razibahmed is on a distinguished road
My own country never qualified for World Cup Football. I am a fan of Argentina.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Strange Days
who cares, anyway?..

Strange Days is well-respected
Russia vs. Germany... THAT will be a showdown!!! I'm sooooo looking forward to that game... If Shava stays healthy and in good shape- we have a decent chance to qualify from the first place in our Group! YAYYY!!! Without Shava though, we'll be happy to draw and hope that Germans fail in further games...

"Announcing your plans is good way to make God laugh..." - Ian McShane as Al Swearengen in "Deadwood"

"...Small and Mighty- all the same,
This life's a shallow facile game
Wher' every ego will be crushed
And every empire turn to dust..." - Martyn Jacques, "Crack of Doom"
Strange Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 09:49 PM   #10
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
And England will be there.
I wonder if the stadia will be finished in time
waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:42 PM   #11
ReallyRong
In Time-Out For My Sins

ReallyRong is a shiny, shiny jewelReallyRong is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by waylander View Post
And England will be there.
Until the quarter finals!
ReallyRong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:42 PM   #12
Strange Days
who cares, anyway?..

Strange Days is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReallyRong View Post
Until the quarter finals!
Untill Beckham gets redcarded...

"Announcing your plans is good way to make God laugh..." - Ian McShane as Al Swearengen in "Deadwood"

"...Small and Mighty- all the same,
This life's a shallow facile game
Wher' every ego will be crushed
And every empire turn to dust..." - Martyn Jacques, "Crack of Doom"
Strange Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 PM   #13
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

waylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudgewaylander is better than ice cream with hot fudge
You reckon he'll get on the pitch?
Old 12-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #14
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

So what do we think of the draw?
England v USA in Group C
Old 12-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #15
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
So what do we think of the draw?
England v USA in Group C
One-all draw. England's overpaid, prissy superstars grind out an unattractive point against enthusiastic, Norwayesque Americans. They then despatch Slovenia and Algeria with prejudice like the flat-track bullies they are. After a squeak on penalties past Serbia/Ghana/Australia in the second round, the entire nation will start to hyperventilate. Frank Lampard will give an interview saying 'this is our time, we're the golden generation, destiny lies at the wings of our feet.'

Facing France in the quarters, Wayne Rooney will get sent off after a throat-high, ninja-style tackle on Andre-Pierre Gignac, Rio Ferdinand will be continually nutmegged and Peter Crouch will look like the third best player in the Rymans League. The sound of deflating expectations will be audible as far as the Canaries. Fabio will look faintly perplexed, like a man who's discovered his Chablis '02 doesn't perfectly complement his Terrine de Poulet. David Beckham will come on as substitute and bend a free kick perfectly into Thierry Henry's nadgers. After elimination, our distraught hooligans will take a heavy defeat at the hands of the local riot police.
Priene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #16
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

England 3- Mexico 1
Unconvincing, but let's remember that Mexico are potential quarter finalists so it's a decent win with a below strength team
Old 05-28-2010, 06:47 AM   #17
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
England 3- Mexico 1
Unconvincing, but let's remember that Mexico are potential quarter finalists so it's a decent win with a below strength team
Unconvincing is putting it mildly. Mexico played a beautiful, flowing game, and controlled most of the action.

If England comes up against a team that can finish, they could be in real trouble.

Luckily, they have an easy group. Though the US is capable of getting outplayed and still coming up with a win if they're taken too lightly, much like England did v Mexico.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #18
poetinahat
Odalisque obelisk
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
One-all draw. England's overpaid, prissy superstars grind out an unattractive point against enthusiastic, Norwayesque Americans. They then despatch Slovenia and Algeria with prejudice like the flat-track bullies they are. After a squeak on penalties past Serbia/Ghana/Australia in the second round, the entire nation will start to hyperventilate. Frank Lampard will give an interview saying 'this is our time, we're the golden generation, destiny lies at the wings of our feet.'

Facing France in the quarters, Wayne Rooney will get sent off after a throat-high, ninja-style tackle on Andre-Pierre Gignac, Rio Ferdinand will be continually nutmegged and Peter Crouch will look like the third best player in the Rymans League. The sound of deflating expectations will be audible as far as the Canaries. Fabio will look faintly perplexed, like a man who's discovered his Chablis '02 doesn't perfectly complement his Terrine de Poulet. David Beckham will come on as substitute and bend a free kick perfectly into Thierry Henry's nadgers. After elimination, our distraught hooligans will take a heavy defeat at the hands of the local riot police.
Only an Englishman can write a dark comic rant like that. *sniff* That's beautiful. Nobody sledges like a Pom.

-----

Australia take ONE recognised striker in their entire squad. ONE.

ONE.

We took more GOALKEEPERS than strikers.

And I don't even remember striker's name. Apparently, Verbeek hopes that three draws - one of them against Germany - will be enough.

First to qualify, first to land in South Africa. First to punch their ticket back home? *grumble*

I cannot believe Pim Verbeek and Guus Hiddink come from the same country.

-- Bob Dylan

Last edited by poetinahat; 05-28-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #19
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugcat View Post
Unconvincing is putting it mildly. Mexico played a beautiful, flowing game, and controlled most of the action.

But they can't defend set pieces

If England comes up against a team that can finish, they could be in real trouble.

Very true

Luckily, they have an easy group. Though the US is capable of getting outplayed and still coming up with a win if they're taken too lightly, much like England did v Mexico.
I could see USA finishing second in the group
Old 05-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #20
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinahat View Post
Only an Englishman can write a dark comic rant like that. *sniff* That's beautiful. Nobody sledges like a Pom.
I have unresolved hatred issues with the England players stemming from the fiasco of hubris and incompetence that was Germany 2006. Frank Lampart actually he said he thought they were the golden generation. If you're going to come up with absurd boasting, at least win something first. At least reach a semi-final, for god's sake.

(And you should see how I sledge the opposition).

Quote:
I could see USA finishing second in the group
Hey, that's England's position. Unless...
Old 05-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

England 2 Japan 1
Unconvincing again though they won
Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 AM   #22
rugcat
Lost in the Fog

rugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrugcat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
USA 2 Turkey 1

First half dreadful for the Americans, down 1-0, which was lucky for them.

Second half, with critical substitutions, a different team -- they showed real spark and some creative play. Which team will show up in SA?
Old 06-02-2010, 01:02 AM   #23
waylander
Who's going for a beer?

So, any thoughts on the England squad?
I'm surprised he's not included Walcott.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #24
Fran
Slate grey mole person

Fran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFran is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*waves the "I know nothing about football" flag.* Or the Saltire, as it's more commonly known.

Is there a prize for Best Fan Geography?

WIPs - The Karma Keeper Urban fantasy/magical realism thingie 44,397 of 85,000

The Poison Master 128 of 85,000

The Judgement Tree 1,028 of 85,000

Family history, complete. Awaiting copy from Createspace.

Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:27 PM   #25
Priene
Out to lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
*waves the "I know nothing about football" flag.* Or the Saltire, as it's more commonly known
Oh, you shouldn't be so hard on your boys. They do hold a World Cup record, after all.*

* record number of exits in the first round