Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 02:37 AM   #26
Llayth
practical experience, FTW

Llayth is on a distinguished road
I love their music =D Lacey Mosley has an amazing voice.

Breakway by Kelly Clarkson is a great song. I listen to it every day.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #27
History_Chick
practical experience, FTW

History_Chick has a spectacular aura
In no particular order
  • Mystic's Journey
  • The Old ways
  • Hanging by a moment
  • Pain
  • I stand Alone
  • So Cold
  • Building a Mystery
  • What hurts the Most
  • Dont Dream it's over
  • Don't Stand so Close to me
  • Wish I had an Angel
History_Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #28
fairy86
Loose on the internet!

fairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputationfairy86 has a golden reputation
It's Magic, thanks for mentioning Stacie Orrico! She's amazing! I had forgotten all about another song of hers, "Stuck" . . . it completely describes my mc's relationship.

INTOXICATE: Starting over. Fun times, folks. Fun times.

Yeah, I've gone crazy: Enter to Win a Kindle!
My Twitter
fairy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #29
C.bronco
I have plans...

C.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.bronco is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Today, this is mine (but just for today-it's a cameo):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaCCG7QkM_c

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
C.bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #30
Fuchsia Flower
figuring it all out

Fuchsia Flower is on a distinguished road
Wow, some proper soundtracks here.
For me it's Bjork. Far too many of her songs to mention.
Fuchsia Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #31
Kathleen42
crushing on fictional characters

Kathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKathleen42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuchsia Flower View Post
Wow, some proper soundtracks here.
For me it's Bjork. Far too many of her songs to mention.
Bjork is a goodness.

HEMLOCK now available from Katherine Tegen Books, an imprint of HarperCollins

Website * Twitter * Goodreads
Kathleen42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #32
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

Blind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputation
Tilt, yeah a twify track would be SWEET!!

And I love your soundtrack, by the way!

The Swift Boys & Me (MG, Scholastic Press, May 2014)
A Midsummer's Nightmare (YA, Little Brown/Poppy. June 2012)
Shut Out (YA, Little Brown/Poppy. Sept. 2011)
The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend (YA, Little Brown/Poppy. Sept. 2010)
Blind Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #33
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen42 View Post
Nice to see that someone else likes the Buffy soundtrack(s).
Yeah, the Buffy soundtrack owned AFTRLYF. I find there are certain cds that just seem to fit some novels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llayth View Post
Fairy86 and Sage: I love you guys! You have Flyleaf! No-one I know has ever heard of them.
Haha, the Flyleaf song I have was on Rock Band. I think it was one of the "independent" songs, and my friend downloaded it for me so I could learn it, but it worked well for that scene in LS. There is at least one Flyleaf song that was getting played on the pop and rock stations here, though.

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #34
CaseyMcG
figuring it all out

CaseyMcG is on a distinguished road
My goodness S Club 7, I haven't heard from them in a while....

My playlist:

Evanesence-Bring Me to Life
The Pierces-Three Wishes
Aqualung-Strange and Beautiful
Britney Spears-Unusual You
Incubus-Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity)
The Veronicas-I Can’t Stay Away
Ryan Cabrera-True
Paramore-Born For This
Muse-Blackout
Jagster-I’m Leavin
Evanesence-Good Enough
Sara Bareilles-Gravity
Leona Lewis-Misses Glass
Origa-Inner Universe
The Pillows-Ride on Shooting Star
Jason Mraz-I’m Yours
All-American Rejects-Gives You Hell
Journey-Don’t Stop Believin’
Marie Digby-Miss Invisible
David Archuleta-Crush
The Veronicas-Mouth Shut

Watch me Tumble

What? It's a writer with a blog? No way...

Yep. And she's on Twitter too.
CaseyMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 05:07 PM   #35
Cbrandtwright
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Cbrandtwright is on a distinguished road
Great question - two books, two soundtracks:

The Line (chapter specific)

Prologue. Just a Girl, No Doubt
1. Cabron, Red Hot Chili Peppers
2. Ever Fallen In Love with Someone (You Shouldn't Have Fallen in Love With), Buzzcocks
6. Battle Without Honor or Humanity, Tomoyasu Hotei
11. Macy's Day Parade, Green Day
12. Wise Up, Aimee Mann
17. The Way Your Look Tonight, (personally, I like the Tony Bennett cover)
20. Perfect Situation, Weezer
21. Bittersweet Symphony, The Verve
22. Stormy Weather, (I like the Royal Crown Revue cover)
25. Don't Look Back in Anger, Oasis

A Fine Line

3. We're Going to Be Friends (Whitestripes, although the Jack Johnson version is also very good)
6. Don't Speak, No Doubt
8. Sing, Sing, Sing (with a Swing), various artists
9. Sad Songs and Waltzes, Cake
11. Sitting, Waiting, Wishing, Jack Johnson
11. (bonus track) Genius of Love, Tom Tom Club
14. With A Little Help From My Friends (I prefer the version from Across the Universe)
15. Should I Stay or Should I Go?, The Clash
16. Lose Yourself, Eminem
19. Insensitive, Jann Arden
21. Wise Up, Aimee Mann
22. Walking After You, Foo Fighters
23. Good Riddance, Green Day
24. American Boy, Estelle (ft. Kanye West)

Cbrandtwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #36
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

Blind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputationBlind Writer has a double-platinum reputation
Okay, so part of my soundtrack just changed! Instead of "Sleep On It", the finalsong for The Duff HAS TO BE "My LIfe Would Suck Without YOu" by Kelly Clarkson. OMG, it fits Bianca and Wesley PERFECTLY!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #37
Red.Ink.Rain
Not your kid brother's YA

Red.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Totally agree, BW - that's definitely a Wesley and Bianca song.

Red.Ink.Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:21 PM   #38
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

I heard it on the radio the other day with a friend of mine who's read The Duff, and I was like "OMG, the first verse with "I guess this means your sorry' is so from Wesley's POV because it says 'like how much you wanted anyone but me.' And the second verse is Bianca where it says, 'Maybe I was stupid/for telling you goodbye/maybe I was wrong/for trying to pick a fight/I know that I have issues/but you're pretty messed up, too." It's almost creepy!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that song!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:28 PM   #39
Red.Ink.Rain

Red.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRed.Ink.Rain is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
LOL. I think Flyleaf is going to play a major role in MALAKHIM's soundtrack... I found this song today and it screams Camden and Zoey.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #40
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

I can't click the link, so what song is it? I LOVE Flyleaf!
And congrats on the requests!!!! "does the Red dance"

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #41
Red.Ink.Rain

It's called Broken Wings.

Lol, I have my own dance? Sweet.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #42
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

Of course there's a Red dance!

I haven't hread that song yet. I'll have to look it up when I'm not on a school server.

I'm strugging with songs for The Outcast Society. Other than "Kindly Unspoken" by Kate Voegele and "Take a Bow" by Leona Lewis (not Rihanna) I don't have ideas, and those are for nea the end.

Any good songs for a character who is painfully shy and practically invisible?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:12 PM   #43
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Writer View Post
Any good songs for a character who is painfully shy and practically invisible?
Avril Lavigne's "Thing's I'll Never Say" is the best one I found for my MC, Jian (painfully shy)

Mailee's signature song is "See You Again" by Miley Cyrus (yes, "Miley" works well, but the stuttering is what really gets her)

I know Ashlee Simpson and Clay Aiken have songs called "Invisible," b/c I ran across them a lot when looking for songs for an invisible character. I suspect Ashlee Simpson's might work better.

Depending on the situation:

Teddy Geiger - For You I Will (Confidence)
Jason Mraz - If It Kills Me

I will prolly think about this all day and come back with more, lol

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 05-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #44
Semper Write
Flying on two wheels

Semper Write is on a distinguished road
I thought I was the only one who did this. You guys are talking about the music you relate to your book (for yourself), right?

Available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books A Million and more.

www.TheDreamTide.com
Review: Pursuit Magazine
WIP: Runner's Gold and Hope's Fury
Semper Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #45
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

lol, thanks, Sage!! My new MC, Kate, is so much different than my last one, Bianca (no, I wasn't thinking of The Taming of the Shrew when I did that). Bianca was loud and fiesty (and I'm pretty sure I'd decided her theme is "Bitch" by Meredth Brooks), but Kate is timid, shy, and invisible. She's smart, but she hates talking. HATES talking. No one listens to her when she does. No one notices she's there. She lives in her mom's shadow.
I"m a loud person, so I"m not used to coming up with songs for quiet people.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #46
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

And, yep, Semper. That's what we're doing!

Old 05-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #47
Sage
AW Moderator

I totally relate to shy characters. Jian, my first non-fanfic MC, absolutely did not talk. I have no clue why I don't have tons of better songs for you off of his novel's soundtrack.

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #48
Sage
AW Moderator

Try Lifehouse's "Cling and Clatter" and see if that works for the character.

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #49
Blind Writer
YA/MG Author

I'll look it up.

I think I"ll use "You Found Me" by Kelly Clarkson to descibe Kate's growth later, but it doesn't encircle the character, just the circumstance.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:34 PM   #50
Semper Write
Flying on two wheels

Semper Write is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Writer View Post
And, yep, Semper. That's what we're doing!

My soundtrack is not as cool as you guys.
The Last Samurai soundtrack with the Brokedown Palace (Grateful Dead) at the ending scene/page.

I know - I'm weird, but that's how I come up with all my scenes in Dream Tide.

Available at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books A Million and more.

www.TheDreamTide.com
Review: Pursuit Magazine
WIP: Runner's Gold and Hope's Fury
Semper Write is offline   Reply With Quote