Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2009, 02:18 AM   #176
AlterEgox5
Expert Procrastinator

AlterEgox5 has a spectacular auraAlterEgox5 has a spectacular aura
Well, if Mr. Yarn likes SF techno-thrillers, we'll see how he likes mine...

[Need a Good Book?]
http://abooksellerblog.blogspot.com

[Writing Away]
AlterEgox5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:43 PM   #177
dakota
Walk on the wild side...

dakota is on a distinguished road
I submitted my fantasy on Dec. 4. Mr. Yarn sent me a personal rejection on Feb. 1st. I am so impressed that he took the time to read my sample work that he has quickly moved to the top of my list for future queries. Unlike so many agents, he commented that though he felt my query was flawed (instead of throwing out the entire submission), he was intrigued. Unfortunately he didn't enjoy my opening pages but he still gave it a try on the idea. I am only sad that I realized the error in my opening in the months following my query to him. Too bad there is no do-overs.
dakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:20 PM   #178
DavidBrent
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

DavidBrent is on a distinguished road
Very nice (and timely) rejection

Jason read my first ten pages and sent a personalized (really, with specific comments about my manuscript) and extremely kind rejection. Also only took him three days, which may speak poorly for my query but speaks highly of his efficiency! I'd definitely consider querying him again for a future project
DavidBrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #179
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Any note on sales for Jason Yarn? Nothing's listed in any of the usual places. He seems to have passed the authenticity test since everyone sends to him, I'm just wondering how he's been doing.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #180
mercy740

mercy740 is on a distinguished road
He took 2 months to respond to my query for a YA Fantasy. Very personalized - asking for the full. Lovely to talk to him, and he really does read the first 10 pages in-depth. I think he has a backlog.
mercy740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:05 AM   #181
Epiphany
Don't kill the bar, Dude.

Epiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitie View Post
Any note on sales for Jason Yarn? Nothing's listed in any of the usual places. He seems to have passed the authenticity test since everyone sends to him, I'm just wondering how he's been doing.

I'm guessing their PM page is detailed, but you need to have a subscription to view it.

Track of the Week: Harald Kloser: The End
Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 AM   #182
WaterLilly

WaterLilly is on a distinguished road
Does anyone have an updated full response time for Jason? Would love to know.
WaterLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #183
Anaquana
needed a good laugh today

Anaquana is a glorious beacon of lightAnaquana is a glorious beacon of lightAnaquana is a glorious beacon of light
Just received a rejection from Jason.
Anaquana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #184
djaffe
Me love books much

djaffe is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any recent interactions with Alyssa Reuben? Sent her a query back on Jan 12th and got a request for sample chapters on the April 25th.
djaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:11 AM   #185
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
eq + 1 chap - March 12
er - May 18

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:01 PM   #186
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
Sent e-query April 27th, received request for fifty page partial yesterday (June 9th).

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #187
starscape
Busy with a number of networks

starscape is on a distinguished road
Based on the time you reported, it usually take Mr Yarn 2 months to respond. Hmm

Queried him in January, and got the reply in March. He's the first agent that gave me a personalized answer.

Kudos.

And if you like, would you mind taking a look and commenting on my query in SYW? Thank you.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/....php?p=6605177
starscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #188
Epiphany

Epiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Queried- January 18th
Request for partial - February 1st
Partial sent- February 5th
Request for full- March 4th
Sent updated version of MS upon his approval- May 18th

Still waiting for response. He's totally worth the wait, but I'm still antsy about it every single day. lol.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #189
hester
New year, new avatar.

hester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admirationhester has earned our admiration
Good luck Epiphany! I know all about that antsy feeling-

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #190
Tienci
Lost in the Land of Giants

Tienci has a spectacular auraTienci has a spectacular aura
Paradigm responses (or lack thereof)

My experience with Paradigm:
Queried Alyssa Reuben on 4/26, no response yet (as of 2.5 months later).
Queried Jason Yarn today (07/12). So we'll see!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 AM   #191
Kristoff
practical experience, FTW

Kristoff has a spectacular aura
My exprience with Jason Yarn:

Feb 25 - Query
Feb 25 - Partial Request
March 23 - I get asked by another agent for an exclusive partial. So I status request Jason because he has first dibs.
March 24 - Jason R's (jumped me up in his pile to get back to me quickly), but really detailed with excellent feedback. And remember, this is an R, people - he has nothing to gain by doing this. I say "wow, thanks" and that's all she wrote.

But

I get to thinking about what Jason said, and re-edit my first fifty pages. Then the whole ms. It becomes 100% better. And after this, I get 2 more full requests and half a dozen partials (all still pending, zzzz). And I think "wow, none of this would be happening if I'd not done those edits".

May 6 - I write Jason, (ostensibly to say thanks) and offer my revised first 50 pages.
May 6 (about an hour later) - "Sure, send em along."
July 27 - Request for Full. Air guitar.

Jason is an incredibly nice, prompt and insightful guy. He made my ms better, and had absolutely no reason to do so. Even if the current Full gets a rejection, the barrel of my YA piece is already loaded an aimed squarely for his inbox.

In a world of form rejections or 'the deafening silence means I'm not interested, but I can't even be bothered sending you a form to let you know' this guy is 100% solid gold.

BTW Sales from PM: 3 this year, one in feb, 2 in july (sf/f, sports, pop cult)

Inane drivel here. Slightly more verbose inane drivel here.

Facebook here. Goodreads here.
Kristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #192
hester
New year, new avatar.

Kristoff, that's awesome! Jason definitely rocks . I haven't heard back yet on my partial, but even if it's a rejection I'm looking forward to the feedback. Best of luck to you on your full!

YA sci-fi--drafting.

YA mystery--drafting.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #193
profen4
Monkeys are evil

profen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admirationprofen4 has earned our admiration
Yeah, Kristoff, I had a wonderful experience with Jason, too. He gave me some great feedback that I used to revise my mss.
profen4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #194
Freelancer
Banned

Freelancer has a spectacular auraFreelancer has a spectacular aura
My experience...

Query - 7/12
Partial Request - 7/22
Partial Sent - 7/26

Present status (8/3): waiting...

I'm really curious for his feedback and review. Although it seems my new query works just fine. Thanks for the help of those who helped me to polish it. Thanks guys!

Last edited by Freelancer; 08-03-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Freelancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #195
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
I was very impressed with him, too. Queried 07/29. He responded that same day asking where the book had been submitted (I was previously represented). He sent a personalized rejection today based on the sample in the query (08/03). I'd query him again.
DeadlyAccurate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 AM   #196
Cyia
Rewriting My Destiny

Cyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCyia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I queried last year when he first opened to submissions and he was wonderful as far as the feedback (on a full, not sure how he does at other stages) went. He did a revise and resubmit, but still didn't feel like it was something he could sell, but said to send him the next thing. He's definitely on my query list for the WIP.
Cyia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:22 AM   #197
Epiphany

Really excited to hear back from him. Will status Q on the 17th.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #198
KrisA

KrisA is on a distinguished road
To status check or not...

I was a finalist in a pitch line contest Jason judged this spring--he requested my Full MS, and we spoke on the phone. He was very enthusiastic and complimentary about my work. He had some suggestions for revisions (all verbal) and I resubmitted a revised MS in early June.

I've seen that a few folks here have been in contact w/ Jason this summer. And I've read that he had at least two sales--so I know he's busy.

I'm debating when to status query. Is it worth nudging? Or do I sit tight knowing he'll get back to me when he reads it? The wait is painful...I know you all know! Any advice would be great!
KrisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #199
Jamiekswriter
The 1st Rule of Write Club: Write!

Jamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admirationJamiekswriter has earned our admiration
Hi guys,

Quick heads up for those who were thinking of querying Jason. I sent a query today and 5 minutes later he replied back, saying that in order to evaluate the query he always requests to see the first 10 pages (in the body of the e-mail) as well. He graciously allowed me to resend the query with the 10 pages. Good luck to everyone who has a query out. -- Jamie

Last edited by Jamiekswriter; 08-09-2010 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling error
Jamiekswriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:24 AM   #200
LucyWoodhull
Dial B For Bacon

LucyWoodhull is on a distinguished road
Hi all,

For Paradigm, the URL says to e-mail books@paradigmagency.com and send 10 pages. On Agent Query it lists Alyssa's e-mail and says two chapters.

Can anyone who queried Alyssa with any degree of success tell me which they did? Thanks and good luck!

*Cake may be exaggerated, or may not actually be cake. Some cake may cause rickets. Do not taunt the cake. Void where prohibited. If your cake lasts for more than four hours, that's awesome.
LucyWoodhull is offline   Reply With Quote