Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #15951
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Cricket))) The personal part in your QR was a reflection of how much she likes the premise. The rejection part is about how the market is a mess. We didn't choose this market, but you are doing OK.

More hugs to the whole pit.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #15952
ink wench
ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Pit))) Hang in there, everyone. The weekend approaches.*

*For those who get a weekend, which won't be me because I have to be up at 3 a.m. on Sunday to fly to a meeting that lasts through Tuesday.

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
(Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website
Old 04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #15953
kellion92

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sorry about the lack of weekend, Ink.

I can't wish for the weekend because that will mean my work deadlines are closer and I probably won't have done what I need to. But at least I'm pretty much done my book revision so now I can work at night when the kids are asleep. Yay?
Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #15954
soulcascade
Bright lights induce scuttling

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post

I'm on my third cup of coffee...trying to decide whether novels (or specifically romances) are written in a 3-act structure.

Any thoughts?

Sigh. Why do we do things we know will make us feel bad?
Cat I say write what you feel like, how you feel like writing it. We get bombarded with these 'rules of writing' and you know what? Lots of published books don't follow 'em. I've started feeling like the only rule is that there are no rules /cliche

And on making ourselves feel bad, 'cause it's a pre-req for being a writer

Good Lord! (((((AO))))) yes my darling you are certainly having a pittish time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario_c View Post
People sure do have a big mouth when they're not accountable, do they?
This.

Grr, Mario I remember you telling us about HOP telling you to quit. A$$holes! Why would anyone say that to someone (well, to make themselves feel better by putting someone else down, I think.) If you hate the individual book, FINE, say 'not my cuppa' and move on. We've all done that with many published books. But to tell someone to quit writing? Not cool.

Also How the F#*K does working retail make you a 'loser'? Nope. Don't believe it. With that attitude, may many a waitress / cook spit in her food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catwoman View Post
How funny -- you just described my dad in all those women: 1. Treated me like dirt 2. Never shuts up about his other kids who can do no wrong, and 3. Told me I was a loser for working retail (Actually, I believe his words to me were "A monkey can work retail.") So, anyhoo...
((((Cat)))) being the black sheep sucks. And sorry, but I can't help myself. I said it before but I'll say it again. I think your dad is an a$$hole!

"We are not hacks, monkeys, or losers." <- Kellion you rock! This shall be the new battle cry of the pit!

*snort* figures Tri. You're the bum right up until you loan them money...but once the transaction is complete you go right back to being the bum in their eyes. Ingrates.

OOH Awesome Happy Happy Red!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to read!!!
*hound growls and bites Soul on the ass* OUCH! It was worth it!!

YUCK @ 3 am! ((Ink)) Aw hell ((((Pit)))) it's a war zone down here!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:10 PM   #15955
SteveCordero
Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mornin', Pit

{{{Cricket}}}

{{{DVI}}}

{{{Cat}}}

Last edited by SteveCordero; 04-26-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 PM   #15956
lkp
practical experience, FTW

lkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admiration
A three act structure sounds like something you discover you've done after you've finished writing, rather than something you plan to do.

This may also be the moment when I say that if my literature classes in high school had been structured around the ways writers are taught to write (ie. by things like the Gotham Writer's Workshop or even at AW, ie by attention to story, plot, characters, opening chapter, story arc, character arcs etc) rather than by some imagining of the way readers should read (imagery, similes, authorial intent, message, themes etc) I would have learned so, so much more about fiction, both reading it and writing it.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #15957
SteveCordero

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
{{{Cat}}} {{{lkp}}} {{{Mario}}} {{{Octavia}}} for the exes, I've been there. The pain was brutal when I was going through it, but I can say that in the end I'm better off.

Basically, a series of bad events transformed my life 21 yrs ago and if I didn't go through that I wouldn't have all the good things in my life I have now.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #15958
Catwoman
And your point is...?

Catwoman has earned our admirationCatwoman has earned our admirationCatwoman has earned our admirationCatwoman has earned our admiration
[QUOTE=SteveCordero;7222219

Basically, a series of bad events transformed my life 21 yrs ago and if I didn't go through that I wouldn't have all the good things in my life I have now.[/QUOTE]

Seems like by the time I get to the good things, I'll be too old to enjoy them!

{{Cricket}} Sounds like you're getting slammed with the Rs.

{{Tri}} When you're on the bestseller list selling a million copies, you'll see how their attitude changes.

{{Inkie}} No sane person should be up at 3am, unless they haven't gone to bed yet.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 PM   #15959
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
We are not hacks, monkeys, or losers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScylla View Post
Are we allowed to have an aspirational quote for the Pit? If so, I vote for this. Seriously, we have been dealt some tough blows, but we are none of the above.
+1 Let us ask our overlord. Oh Overlord, would you add to Pit Lexicon?

And I think a big ole (((Pit))) is in order for exes, broken toes, crap ANONYMOUS (that should say it all) reviewers, sleepless and working weekends, and hell anything else that is Pittish.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #15960
ink wench

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
lkp, preach it! Nothing killed my love of reading more than high school English class. It didn't help that English was my worst subject, either.

Poor agent is still down and out with the pox, but she got back to me about my questions. She likes my ideas and so I'm a go to work on this outline. Blergh.

Twitter * Website
Old 04-25-2012, 11:10 PM   #15961
kellion92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink wench View Post
She likes my ideas and so I'm a go to work on this outline. Blergh.
READY! SET! BLERGH!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #15962
SteveCordero

I'll add "We are not hacks, monkeys, or losers." to the Lexicon by popular demand.

Muted yay, DVI
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #15963
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

RedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Blergh like you've never blerghed before, Inky!

Between a blog and a hard place.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #15964
Teriann
optimist

Teriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't been around much. I've been writing.

Q: What do you do when you have a children's historical novel sitting on editor's desks but not getting bought?

A: Write another one, of course.

because the world cannot have too many unpublished novels.

Go, Ink!

I completely agree about how English is taught. Even creative writing. I taught my first CW class the way I had been taught, breaking down plot, character, etc and talking about each. After I finished (took about 4 class periods) a student raised her hand and said, "But how do we write one?"

I guess the honest answer would be, "Who the heck knows?"

Two query R's but nothing else.

Last edited by Teriann; 04-26-2012 at 01:23 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:58 AM   #15965
Catwoman
And your point is...?

Catwoman has earned our admirationCatwoman has earned our admirationCatwoman has earned our admirationCatwoman has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriann View Post
because the world cannot have too many unpublished novels.

I so agree!

I completely agree about how English is taught. Even creative writing. I taught my first CW class the way I had been taught, breaking down plot, character, etc and talking about each. After I finished (took about 4 class periods) a student raised her hand and said, "But how do we write one?"

I guess the honest answer would be, "Who the heck knows?"

Each novel to me feels like I'm writing a first one. So uncomfortable, full of doubt, slow...

{{Teri}}
Old 04-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #15966
kellion92

Hugs to Teri on the query Rs. They are annoying even if impersonal. I suppose they are annoying because they are impersonal. We are persons! (not hacks, monkeys or losers)

Interesting discussion on the teaching of writing. I was a creative writing major for awhile and I don't think we learned mechanics. But we did approach texts way differently than the English majors did.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #15967
Cricket18
Gnawing my hairless tail

Cricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
(((Pit))) Hang in there, everyone. The weekend approaches.*

*For those who get a weekend, which won't be me because I have to be up at 3 a.m. on Sunday to fly to a meeting that lasts through Tuesday.
{{{Ink}}} Egads. That is wrong in so many ways....

Quote:
Sorry about the lack of weekend, Ink.

I can't wish for the weekend because that will mean my work deadlines are closer and I probably won't have done what I need to. But at least I'm pretty much done my book revision so now I can work at night when the kids are asleep. Yay?
Big yay for finished revisions!!!

Quote:
She likes my ideas and so I'm a go to work on this outline. Blergh.
More yays, for Ink!

Quote:
READY! SET! BLERGH!
Quote:
This and this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriann View Post
{{{Teri}}}

T-minus 2 hours and 59 minutes until Thursday.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #15968
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I learned more solid tips about writing in my tech writing classes than in my single creative writing class. Mostly, I learned by reading and writing. It took way too long to get anywhere marketable.

I'm waiting on one market to get its act together and either reject me or send my short story higher into the reading chain. I'm torn between sim-subbing the story, or nudging the first market. I already emailed them in early March, and they said 'early April'. It's nearly May. In a couple more weeks, I won't have time for short fiction, so I need to get this story out while I can.

Blarg.

Disabusing trolls in three, two, one...
Old 04-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #15969
ink wench

(((Teri)))

Filligree, ugh. The waiting sucks.

Quote:
I don't doubt this will be the case.

Twitter * Website
Old 04-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #15970
MrsBrommers
practical experience, FTW

MrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admiration
Morning, Pit.

Ink, glad the agent liked the idea.

((to all those in need))

I've had a Migraine of Doom for either four or five days of the last week. I lost track of days. My agent had words for my WIP that are too shiny for the Pit, but that's countered by not much ability to write due to previously mentioned exploding head. Also, I saved a rather Pit-worthy creature yesterday. A turtle was heading into a busy road, so I pulled over to move him back to the creek. He hissed his indignation at me, but I moved him anyway. When I got back into my car, the fuel light was on and I was late for my doctor's appointment. Then the gas station pump was broken, and I was even later for my appointment. My appointment ran long, and I was late picking up from son from preschool, which meant he was in hysterics.
Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley
Old 04-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #15971
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((((Mrs. B)))))

I nominate Mr. Amarie as an honorary member of the Pit for the day. I was having a very vivid dream last night that there was a giant spider coming down from the ceiling right over his head and I woke up not realizing it was a dream. I grabbed him and said "Don't move" and then was jumping around trying to get the spider away. At this point, when there was no spider, I realized it was a dream. I went back to sleep, but Mr. Amarie, who hates, hates, hates spiders, stayed awake not really believing i could have such a realistic dream, thinking there might be a spider lurking above him-he should know better after all this years!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #15972
K. Taylor
Bah Humbug

K. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsK. Taylor is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd be with Mr. Amarie. Don't fake me out when it comes to spiders. I'll be paranoid all day.

(((Mrs. B)))

Been a Pit kinda week. (Well, a Pit kinda life since 2002, but..)

Old 04-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #15973
soulcascade
Bright lights induce scuttling

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
(((Pit))) 'cause we all need a group hug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBrommers View Post
A turtle was heading into a busy road, so I pulled over to move him back to the creek. He hissed his indignation at me,
s.
Sorry but OMG that's hilarious! You try to save him and he's pissed!

Sorry the rest of your day went shittily though. I think Kellion said it best - no good deed goes unpunished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarie View Post

I nominate Mr. Amarie as an honorary member of the Pit for the day. I was having a very vivid dream last night that there was a giant spider coming down from the ceiling right over his head and I woke up not realizing it was a dream. I grabbed him and said "Don't move" and then was jumping around trying to get the spider away. At this point, when there was no spider, I realized it was a dream. I went back to sleep, but Mr. Amarie, who hates, hates, hates spiders, stayed awake not really believing i could have such a realistic dream, thinking there might be a spider lurking above him-he should know better after all this years!
*shudder* creepy crawlies I rememeber staying in a hotel once. There was this big nasty spider I tried to squash but it got away. Didn't I have a dream it was dangling over my head just out of reach? I half woke up yelling and swatting at it. Freaked my hotel-mate (was at a work conference) out.

((Mr. Amarie))
Old 04-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #15974
SteveCordero

Mornin', Pit

{{{Teri}}}

{{{Mrs. B}}}

{{{Mr. Amarie}}}

Last edited by SteveCordero; 04-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #15975
kellion92

Mrs. Brommers, what a crummy day. Happy for your agent feedback, sorry for the migraine, sorry for the ungrateful turtle, and upset child.

Poor Mr. Amarie.
Closed Thread