Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:35 PM   #14576
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

RedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Gah! Car troubles, internet stalkers, and 13-hour work weeks. Maggoccinos all around. Also, puppy-cuddles. Good for what ails ya. (Unless what ails ya is an allergy to dogs.)

I dreamed all night about changing every thing I've ever written to first person. Kill me now.

Between a blog and a hard place.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #14577
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Cricket))) 13 hour day = pure evil. Thank goodness for doggehs!

(((Dr. Ink))) May you get some rest soon.

(((Amarie))) Are people really that pathetic that they stalk others on the internet? I mean come on! Get a life (not you, evil stalker person).

(((Red))) POV change? *double maggotini for you*

Last edited by Snappy; 02-28-2012 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Red
Old 02-28-2012, 06:45 PM   #14578
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*sniff sniff* An editor who already rejected my chapter book just tweeted that she's dying for a good early chapter book. Oops -- I guess I didn't take care of that "good" part.

I've never written in first, Red (except an unpublished PB). I wonder if it would be a creative breakthrough. I'm thinking of writing my fantasy (if I ever write it) in first because that would keep me from getting too Once-upon-a-timish. And fortunately my princess MC is articulate, introspective, and observant.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #14579
Teriann
optimist

Teriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cricket, your life is crazy.

Yes, that's me in the avi. So now I can see you all so you'd better behave. (Took about 200 shots to get one I liked. That's the problem with getting older. You look at your photo and feel horrified. Who is that person with the gray strands and wrinkles? I had to pull out the curling iron. I went all out.

I found a neat trick a long time ago. I write my first draft in first person, then switch to third. In first, I tend to ramble more, putting in more thoughts, getting more into the character's head.

Kell, I don't know how you can even do twitter. BTW, I thought of you reading an editor interview in which she said they don't even buy picture books because nobody has any idea what picture books will sell.

More coming soon. Metaphysical question: Are two shorter posts better than one long one?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #14580
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

RedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always find 1st person a useful technique for exploring characters. That's really the cruelest part. The chapters the agent wants changed? In my first draft, they were in first person. I didn't think it worked that well. I changed it to third. Apparently, I was wrong. :P

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #14581
kellion92

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two posts are easier to read.

Speaking of first, I just read a book (more of a legend than fantasy) in first that used a big cheat to misdirect the reader, with a very thin explanation at the end for why a noble character had a London street thug's voice. I get more annoyed when first person narrators hide too much from me -- quite your lying!

ETA: I think the book would have worked better in third. The character could SPEAK in a thug's voice but in close third, the thoughts wouldn't have had to be so false.

Last edited by kellion92; 02-28-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #14582
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

I agree, two posts are easier to read.

And exactly, Kell! Third person allows you to present the character in one way, while having them be another way. In my case, I have a main character who almost never speaks. Maybe a hundred words in the whole novel. So having whole chapters in her voice seriously undercuts that effect.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #14583
Teriann
optimist

Teriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTeriann is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScylla View Post
I always find 1st person a useful technique for exploring characters. That's really the cruelest part. The chapters the agent wants changed? In my first draft, they were in first person. I didn't think it worked that well. I changed it to third. Apparently, I was wrong. :P
In the opinion of one person.

I went to a presentation by two court clerks who had honestly gotten to the point where they truly believed everything their judge did and said was the absolute truth.

Criminal Defense Attorney: When your judge labels an argument frivolous, it prevents us from appealing to a higher court.
Clerk: Why would you want to appeal to a higher court if the argument is frivolous?
CDA: GAHHHH!

Some readers have weird quirks about first person. I've gone through phases when I hated reading first person.

Probably from an editor's viewpoint, a lot more drivel gets produced in first person. Personally I think it's easier to write but harder to write well.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:33 PM   #14584
kellion92

Hmm, Red, you could make a strong case for having the whole book in first EXCEPT your main character. The POV will stand out more, especially if Ke11en is in 1st, and show the distance that she places between herself and others. Clearly it will be a motivated decision.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #14585
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriann View Post
In the opinion of one person.

I went to a presentation by two court clerks who had honestly gotten to the point where they truly believed everything their judge did and said was the absolute truth.

Criminal Defense Attorney: When your judge labels an argument frivolous, it prevents us from appealing to a higher court.
Clerk: Why would you want to appeal to a higher court if the argument is frivolous?
CDA: GAHHHH!

Some readers have weird quirks about first person. I've gone through phases when I hated reading first person.

Probably from an editor's viewpoint, a lot more drivel gets produced in first person. Personally I think it's easier to write but harder to write well.
Well, that's why they got the tongue sticking out. In *their* opinion, I was wrong. Pleh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
Hmm, Red, you could make a strong case for having the whole book in first EXCEPT your main character. The POV will stand out more, especially if Ke11en is in 1st, and show the distance that she places between herself and others. Clearly it will be a motivated decision.
Well, that's problematic, too, when you've got nearly a dozen narrators. I feel like I need variety, to keep the reader from getting overwhelmed. Odd fucking book gotta cause me problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #14586
Teriann
optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScylla View Post
Well, that's why they got the tongue sticking out. In *their* opinion, I was wrong. Pleh.

Well, that's problematic, too, when you've got nearly a dozen narrators. I feel like I need variety, to keep the reader from getting overwhelmed. Odd fucking book gotta cause me problems.
I missed the little tongue.

After raising children, I'm just blind to that sort of thing.

But it gave me an excuse to write about that court clerk whose comment has been bothering me for months.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #14587
ink wench
ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm supposed to be staying away to work, but I need to curl up in a corner and cry. I just finished R, my newest WIP over the weekend. And what do I see in PM today? A book with the same title and a similar premise sold at auction (plus bonus film deal).

FML

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
(Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #14588
Teriann
optimist

Um. Pass one of those things you all drink. I'm about to be sick, or worse, hopeful.

So I hadn't checked my email for a good 45 seconds (unusual for me) and there were 2 messages from an editor reading. First said, "Teri, I can't get the attachment open. Will you please send the book again?" The next said, "Never mind! My mistake! I got it open."

Which means right now someone is reading my book.

Faints from sheer nervousness.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #14589
kellion92

Sigh, Red. It is quite possible that you decide that the agent is wrong about some things and right about others. Only do what makes the story stronger.

One thing about being published by a small press is that, if things work out, you will be able to climb the publishing ladder more easily. Or, if things really work out and you're happy with the small press, you may want them to publish another title or two.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #14590
Teriann
optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ink wench View Post
I'm supposed to be staying away to work, but I need to curl up in a corner and cry. I just finished R, my newest WIP over the weekend. And what do I see in PM today? A book with the same title and a similar premise sold at auction (plus bonus film deal).

FML
Oh lord. We were writing at the same time.

Same title? Wow.
That sounds really odd.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 PM   #14591
ink wench

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Teri))) I'd be freaking too.

The title isn't exactly original. It's more like the straw breaking the hellhound's back. The book that sold is paranormal. Mine is light SF. But the premises are eerily similar which, combined with the title thing, is making me vomitous.

Twitter * Website
Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM   #14592
kellion92

(((Tracy))) Oh no. But a title is not that big a deal. The premise may or may not be the similar -- you're almost there, right? Your book could even be out before the other.

Fingers crossed, Teri.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #14593
ink wench

Kellion, I finished the first draft this weekend. I need to give it a read-through then I was planning on sending to some first round betas. (At the moment, I can't spot the plot holes so I'm counting on others). It's far from ready.

Am wondering if I should email the agent.

ETA:
Ack, and I take it back. They're both SF. Even worse.

Twitter * Website
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #14594
MrsBrommers
practical experience, FTW

MrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admirationMrsBrommers has earned our admiration
((ink))

I'm feeling very jittery today. Not in a good way, but in a waiting for the other shoe to drop way. On top of that, we found out we have termites.
Magical realism (off with awesome agent)

http://www.sarah-bromley.com
http://www.twitter.com/Sarah_Bromley
http://www.facebook.com/authorsarahbromley
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #14595
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

Quote:

FML
Oh goddamn. That is exponential suckitude. I don't know about emailing the agent. How much does she know about your WIP?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #14596
ink wench

Red, she ok'd the premise and read the first couple chapters. I told her originally I hoped to have a draft for her around early spring, and I'm still on target for that.

(((Mrs. Brommers)))

Twitter * Website
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #14597
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

Quote:
Red, she ok'd the premise and read the first couple chapters. I told her originally I hoped to have a draft for her around early spring, and I'm still on target for that.
If you feel panicky, I don't think it would be off base to email and say, "Hey, I wanted to touch base with you about my WIP, because I just saw this deal. I can't help but feel nervous at the surface similarities. Am I over-reacting?"

Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #14598
kellion92

(((Ink))) But if it's a hot premise and you have it ready in the next three months, you could still sell it. One of the other houses might want it and put it out before the first title.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #14599
Amarie
carpe libri

Amarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmarie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ink, titles can be changed and the fact that a similar premise book sold is good-it means pubs are interested in that sort of book. Yes, it cuts one house you can sub to, but that's not a big deal. Email your agent-she'll talk you off the ledge.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM   #14600
kellion92

Ink, I read that listing, and it's pretty vague and really emphasizes the romance. Yours could be very, very different. If you didn't have the same title, it wouldn't be an issue.
Closed Thread