Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #3576
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Bleh. I got a form QR today from someone who requests practically everything and often gives feedback on Rs. But it's clear that that is NOT the project of the moment.

I don't think I'm ready to trunk it yet. I threw some queries out last night to some long-shot no-response agents because it was a worth a chance -- no response means no, but no query means no chance, right?

Last edited by kellion92; 03-11-2011 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:06 PM   #3577
soulcascade
Bright lights induce scuttling

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
{{Kellion}}

I'm going to sound like a total dreamer, but I really love my ms and feel it deserves a chance. Yeah yeah, I know, ALL writers feel that way. But I guess that's what's pulling me along this query go round....
Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM   #3578
kellion92

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yeah, I think my book deserves a chance. One thing I feel better about is that I'm not querying too soon -- I worried about pacing, characterization, whether I was revealing information at the right time. It turns out it doesn't matter because I'm getting rejected on query. So glad I didn't spend another six months.
Old 03-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #3579
soulcascade

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
*cry* Ouch. It's hard to know if you 'should' spend x amount of time super-polishing that ms...if it doesn't get any requests, then what's the point?
Old 03-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #3580
ink wench
ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Kellion))) I hate that feeling of futility. Like why did I spend so much time polishing the hell out of this MS if no one is going to read past the query? Especially when I read some pubbed books that have writing/storytelling issues that me cringe.

Was just saying to my husband last night how excited I was about the twist in my WIP. I think it will be awesome and heart-breaking if I can pull it off (a big if), but unless anyone takes the time to read to the end, no one will know ever know how much work I put into setting it up.

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
(Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #3581
kellion92

I STILL haven't finished my synopsis. I'm hoping that that will help a little bit -- the agents who want them want to know what happens in submissions at least. So it helps for books with twists.

I didn't expect querying to go this way. I thought I'd be rejected, but maybe kindly or regretfully or helpfully rejected.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #3582
soulcascade

Especially when I read some pubbed books that have writing/storytelling issues that me cringe. <- THIS!

Urgh, Kellion, synopses are evil. And querying is too. Querying has always been uber painful for me.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #3583
SteveCordero
Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
{{{Kellion}}}
Old 03-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #3584
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I HATE synopsis. They are the spawn of Hell! I feel your pain, Kell!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:47 PM   #3585
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
I didn't expect querying to go this way. I thought I'd be rejected, but maybe kindly or regretfully or helpfully rejected.

These words do not exist

in The Pit

I queried book #4 for a short time and got completely shut out. It had been beta-ed and QLH-ed and still it generated nary a whiff of interest. Crazy.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website

Last edited by Vandal; 03-11-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #3586
PrincessofPersia
practical experience, FTW

PrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of lightPrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of lightPrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of light
Another form R. Cue blinding rage.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:28 PM   #3587
clare
practical experience, FTW

clare is well-respected
Just for "fun" today, I made myself a ticker at tickerfactory.com:

When I have queried every agent who reps my genre, that snake can bite me and put me out of my misery.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 PM   #3588
soulcascade

{{PoP}}

LOLOL CLARE!!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #3589
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare View Post
Just for "fun" today, I made myself a ticker at tickerfactory.com:

When I have queried every agent who reps my genre, that snake can bite me and put me out of my misery.

You'll fit right in.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 PM   #3590
ink wench

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Kellion))) Querying just sucks however you look at it. I expected rejection. I didn't expect to be told over and over that my super commercial concept was too freaking commercial to sell. WTF?

(((Princess)))

Clare, I love it!

Twitter * Website
Old 03-11-2011, 10:32 PM   #3591
kellion92

I love it, Clare!!!!

Today is a triple whammy so far, and the day is young. Old queries, new, everybody's doing spring cleaning. I could rewrite my query again, but I think it will only work if I describe somebody else's book.

(((Princess)))
Old 03-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #3592
soulcascade

*echoing Ink* WTF?? How can something be 'too commercial to sell'???!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:43 PM   #3593
SteveCordero
Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
{{{Princess}}}

LOL, Clare, that's great!
Old 03-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #3594
ink wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcascade View Post
*echoing Ink* WTF?? How can something be 'too commercial to sell'???!
Editors only want contemporary YA that's literary. No one's buying light, commercial stuff.

Twitter * Website
Old 03-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #3595
kellion92

Makes no sense to me, Ink.

I have no idea what MG is doing well now. The same few ms on QT get all the requests. There's an odd unanimity about what makes a concept worthwhile.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:07 PM   #3596
soulcascade

It's such a knife to the heart when 'one' concept gets all the requests. I know it's all timing and bla bla bla, but the thing with timing is, either you have it or you don't. And Pitizens...we don't
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #3597
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
QT is also the root of all evil.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:26 PM   #3598
kellion92

I am grateful for QT for A) helping me find agents to query B) killing hope about those queries. You can see exactly when there is no chance left, no matter what the agent's stated response policy.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:44 PM   #3599
Leigh.Lyons
Bored Fanatic

Leigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ink wench View Post
(((Kellion))) I hate that feeling of futility. Like why did I spend so much time polishing the hell out of this MS if no one is going to read past the query? Especially when I read some pubbed books that have writing/storytelling issues that me cringe.
I read this book that was horribly formulaic, the writing was terrible... somehow the author was an international best seller but everyone I talked to about the book said the same things that are said of Sm3y3r. So I thought it would be interesting to send my query to her agent. The agent said it was too obscure. I about shat a brick on that one!

Facebook

Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #3600
Leigh.Lyons
Bored Fanatic

Leigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandal View Post
I queried book #4 for a short time and got completely shut out. It had been beta-ed and QLH-ed and still it generated nary a whiff of interest. Crazy.
It's an awful, awful process!

Facebook

Closed Thread