Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #3376
PrincessofPersia
practical experience, FTW

PrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of lightPrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of lightPrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of light
Bloody hell, I can't pitch in person for my life. Definitely have to work on that. I have 4 at the moment, with the 5th on the way. I'll be finished it in a few days. One thing I think I have going for me is they're all pretty remarkably different from each other, lol.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #3377
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think I need to go back to the drawing board for query and pages. I'm so frustrated, trying to wait for some feedback but I think the poor response is feedback enough.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:09 PM   #3378
ink wench
ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Kellion)))

Woke up to a query R. The reign of silence had been broken. In the expected way, naturally. Now off to the all-day meeting again. At least I don't have to speak today.

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
(Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website
Old 03-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #3379
kellion92

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Ink))) Sometimes it's nice to see long meetings as a brain vacation, especially when no talking or participation is necessary.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #3380
ink wench

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, I have to participate. It's a working meeting - LOTS of work, and I inevitably end up doing most of it. (Because I'm a good worker and don't go off checking email or scheduling phone calls during the time. Grr.) It does get me away from obsessively checking email or thinking about my WIP though. All data, all the time.

Twitter * Website
Old 03-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #3381
Vandal
In the Center of things

Vandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsVandal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two full Rs in the last 24 hours. I think I still belong here. I think I'll always belong here. I feel safe so close to a naked avatar.

Center Point is available from Writers AMuse Me Publishing

Dizzy Miss Lizzie returns November 22, 2014!

My website
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 PM   #3382
kellion92

(((Vandal)))

The Pit will always be here. That's a comfort and a threat.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:01 PM   #3383
soulcascade
Bright lights induce scuttling

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
Mario, Princess, would you say it's harder to get a screenplay produced (published?) than a novel? I"m thinking yes....God help me, but I"m thinking yes *crying for Princess and Mario*

{{{{{{VandalInkKellion}}}}}}

Man, Ink your job sounds thankless indeed

Kellion feel free to PM me your new query when it's ready if you want
Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #3384
SteveCordero
Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mornin', Pit

{{{Ink}}}

{{{Vandal}}}

We can leave The Pit, but The Pit never leaves us.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #3385
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm one of the weirdest writers, I swear. I actually don't mind pitching. I got involved with a website that helps writers practice pitching too. PM or Rep if you want the site. (You can see my big round face this week in a video pitch)

I know some people don't think pitching is useful. But, honestly, if nothing else, it hones your skills in talking about your book. So, getting the word out, meeting people, getting the hook for your book, blurbing, etc. I think its helpful. *shrugs*
Old 03-03-2011, 08:21 PM   #3386
SteveCordero

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
BTW, I find it kinda cool that I got a email pdf form rejection letter for a snail mail query+pages I sent out. I don't do the SASE anymore and simply rely on silence as rejection.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #3387
soulcascade

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
The one thing I really find helpful about queries and pitches is there's so little room to describe your book it really REALLY helps you focus on your plot. As much as I hate queries (and trust me, I HATE queries) I find that now when I'm in the early days of plotting a WIP I think of the concept in terms of a query...it helps me focus on the real plot and not get mixed up on whether or not a strong side plot is the actual plot.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #3388
SteveCordero

Good points, Soulcascade. Looking at a story from a pitch/query standpoint helps you boil the story down to it's essence.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #3389
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's a really good idea, Soul! I never thought of it that way. I always do the query/pitch after the revisions are done. But, maybe I'll try it beforehand for my WIP. Hmm... ideas...
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #3390
PrincessofPersia

PrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of lightPrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of lightPrincessofPersia is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulcascade View Post
Mario, Princess, would you say it's harder to get a screenplay produced (published?) than a novel? I"m thinking yes....God help me, but I"m thinking yes *crying for Princess and Mario*
I would say probably yes. Cause even if you get lucky enough to have it bought, the odds are still against it ever being produced.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:13 PM   #3391
OL
Still a beach bum...

OL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOL is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I used to work in the film industry. Yes, absolutely.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #3392
soulcascade

That's what I figured Princess and OL....and OL, since you have been on both sides of the fence and drug through both hell holes, you'd def. know. WOW. that's all I can say. You guys are brave to even attempt it! It feels like trying to get my novel published like beating my head against a brick wall, and it's not nearly as tough as what you guys are doing...
Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 AM   #3393
Leigh.Lyons
Bored Fanatic

Leigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hey kids! Did you miss me?

Did I miss anything?

Facebook

Old 03-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #3394
Leigh.Lyons
Bored Fanatic

Leigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolnessLeigh.Lyons leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
That's what I figured Princess and OL....and OL, since you have been on both sides of the fence and drug through both hell holes, you'd def. know. WOW. that's all I can say. You guys are brave to even attempt it! It feels like trying to get my novel published like beating my head against a brick wall, and it's not nearly as tough as what you guys are doing...
Ala this-->?
Agree.....
That's sort of why I chose to publish a bunch of short stories on the kindle. So I can include in the query "see! See! people want to read my stuff! SEE!!! PLEASE GOD SEE!!!!!!!!!!!" Or something like that...

Facebook

Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #3395
kellion92

Leigh, I think you missed some rejections, depression, and malaise. OK, now you're caught up.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:45 AM   #3396
Leigh.Lyons
Bored Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
Leigh, I think you missed some rejections, depression, and malaise. OK, now you're caught up.
malaise-->
depression-->
rejections-->

Indeed, I am!

Facebook

Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #3397
lkp

lkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
(((Vandal)))

The Pit will always be here. That's a comfort and a threat.
It's the sucking void inside each one of us.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:25 AM   #3398
ink wench

(((Vandal)))

Brain is fried from my meeting. Come tomorrow evening I'm going to drown myself in a vat of margaritas.

Twitter * Website
Old 03-04-2011, 04:51 AM   #3399
madderblue
Beagle Lips.

madderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admiration
Just dropping in to say hello, wallow a bit. Ah~, that feels good.

No news on my end. When you're not on sub no one can hear you cry. Or something like that.

Hey, did Vandal just hint he might put up a *naked* photo of himself as an avatar? That or slamming all these Worm Coolers has affected my brain. A possibility.

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 AM   #3400
soulcascade

Exactly Leigh! That's exactly it! But I donno, your depression smiley doesn't seem very depressed
Closed Thread