Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Rejection and Dejection
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 09:14 AM   #2501
Wordwrestler
permaflounced

Wordwrestler is a glorious beacon of lightWordwrestler is a glorious beacon of lightWordwrestler is a glorious beacon of light
Oh! And happy Birthday, Soul! Think of it as your own personal New Year.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #2502
madderblue
Beagle Lips.

madderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwrestler View Post
Madder, maybe you could smuggle in some cheap booze from the pit? After a few rounds no one will notice.
That is a brilliant idea!

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He
Old 01-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #2503
kellion92
A cat may not look at a king

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordwrestler View Post
Oh! And happy Birthday, Soul! Think of it as your own personal New Year.
That's very cheery but I like it.

(((Cricket))) Blech. I'm really sorry.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #2504
Wordwrestler
permaflounced

Wordwrestler is a glorious beacon of lightWordwrestler is a glorious beacon of lightWordwrestler is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
That's very cheery but I like it.
Oops!

*beats off hellhounds*
Old 01-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #2505
ink wench
ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Vandal)))

Madder, wow. That's just... yeah, ugh. Sorry am out of words. Not good since I'm supposed to be writing this afternoon.

(((Cricket))) That sucks. I've had the same thing happen, and it really makes you go WTF.

An0ther L1ttle P1ece 0f My Heart
(Harlequin Teen)- December 2013

Twitter * Website
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #2506
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy Birthday, Soul! Thanks for the offer to read.

Got an R on a partial. Another "writing is great, story is great but not unique enough". Ugh.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #2507
Wordwrestler
permaflounced

(((snappy)))
Old 01-23-2011, 09:51 PM   #2508
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Happy birthday, Soul!
Cricket...you are not alone in this. This too shall pass and you'll rise above it.

Even publication can throw you in the arm pit of doom, although I think I've gone a little further down south and become wedged in the crack of doom. Both versions of my book on Amazon are so expensive that there will be no sales. That looks pretty obvious now. It's not a PA thing, it's a thing where production costs of the book shot the price up too high. You know you've had it when your book doesn't get a rank 23 days after publication, and you've sold one high-priced Kindle edition.

Library sales would be perfect for this book if I just knew how to go about getting it in front of librarians. I'm trying personalized letters at this point. Library Digest (?) and Kirkus are out of the question at this point.

Tri
Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #2509
Cricket18
Gnawing my hairless tail

Cricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCricket18 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Snappy))) That sucks--I'm sorry.

(((Tri))) Why was it so expensive? Is it a long book? The price will go down eventually, won't it?

Ah, Sunday in the Pit....
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #2510
kellion92

kellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskellion92 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(((Snappy)))

(((Tri))))
Old 01-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #2511
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The reason it was so high is because it's got one of those artist-rendered wrap-around covers, 27 interior illustrations, hardback binding, extra cataloging inside and a special font and format. It comes in at 370 pages, which means it's not terribly large.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:12 AM   #2512
madderblue
Beagle Lips.

madderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admirationmadderblue has earned our admiration
(((Snappy))) and (((Tri)))

(Brother-in-law came through and paid his half.)

A Robe of Feathers and Other Stories

Charles de Lint says: "A Robe of Feathers is a truly unique collection that suits no easy categorization except that of excellence."

The Kappa's Fart: Kappa no He
Old 01-24-2011, 02:43 AM   #2513
kellion92

Yay for brother opening his wallet!!!

Sigh, Tri. What a drag -- you get the red-carpet treatment from your publisher, and this is what happens. I know the production costs are high, but how can they expect to recoup the illustration costs if they don't price it reasonably?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:54 AM   #2514
triceretops
Super Browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellion92 View Post
Yay for brother opening his wallet!!!

Sigh, Tri. What a drag -- you get the red-carpet treatment from your publisher, and this is what happens. I know the production costs are high, but how can they expect to recoup the illustration costs if they don't price it reasonably?
Oh, totally agreed on this. The first time I saw the price on Amazon I keeled over in my typing chair. Now, a really large house would have backed up the promo, reduced the price, and moved some copies. Here I had a small press wanting to do everything right, going the extra mile with a debut book with bells, whistles and whatnots, and totally ignored for it.

Sometimes...le sigh...little piglets are not allowed to get their swill at the trough. When the hogs have vacated, we wallow in our little mud puddles, looking for the leftovers.

Tri
Old 01-24-2011, 06:45 AM   #2515
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

RedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wow, Tri. That's really lousy. Pit-worthy.

I hope Soul is spending her birthday out of the Pit, somewhere fun.

I think I'm just gonna go over here and dig another sub-basement if that's okay?

Between a blog and a hard place.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:30 PM   #2516
ink wench

ink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsink wench is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh, Tri, that really sucks. Can't win no matter what.

Woke up to a full R. Too similar to another book. My story was deeper,* but the other story was funnier.

*Awesome because another agent basically said my story wasn't deep enough.

ETA: 2 full Rs. Just got a second one.

Twitter * Website

Last edited by ink wench; 01-24-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #2517
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

RedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oh Inky, so wrong. So so wrong. But deep.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 PM   #2518
kellion92

(((Ink))) Well, it's nice to be deep. That's why we're in a pit.

Maggoccino for you on this way-too-cold-morning. We have 8 degrees here, and that's almost as low as it gets in Philly.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #2519
ink wench

Alas, yeah, the only thing deep about me is the time I spend in the Pit. *sips maggoccino*

Twitter * Website
Old 01-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #2520
lkp
practical experience, FTW

lkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admirationlkp has earned our admiration
Oh crap, Ink. Sounds like many of us are headed for a spell in the Pit-below-the-Pit.

Do we do group hugs in the Pit? Or do we just wander sheepishly into our various corners, kick the dirt, and look sideways at each other?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #2521
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

Don't worry, I should be done digging the new sub-sub-sub-basement for anybody who needs to go deeper in the Pit. We could do a hug kinda thing. You know awkwardly. While not looking at each other. And then wander away sheepishly and pretended it didn't happen.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:53 PM   #2522
SteveCordero
Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'

SteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSteveCordero is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Mornin', Pit

{{{Ink}}} That just sucks.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #2523
soulcascade
Bright lights induce scuttling

soulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthoodsoulcascade is a candidate for sainthood
Thanks Mario, Snappy Tri and Word! Red I had a really great birthday, even had a surprise party thrown for me! Needless to say I dared not venture into the pit during my moments of happiness.

Madder long hand has saved my sanity! I just don't have the discipline to keep ignoring the temptations of the internet
Man, and Snappy if they HAD thought it was original then it’d be ‘it’s not marketable’ urgh
Tri I’m a librarian. Not sure how much I can help but feel free to send whatever letter you have my way and I will see what I can do.
Madder that’s good news! I was worried brother in law was a cheapskate

Heh Kellion it’s -33 Celcius (with the wind chill) here, I think I got you beat I worried my car wasn’t going to start this morning
And on to the mass of bad news in here. HOLY FUCK PITIZENS! {{{EVERYONE}} Snappy, what a shitty R
Aw Tri your news made me want to cry! I’m so sorry L And Ink WTF?????????????? I hate varied advice and that R sucks monkey balls. THERE! I SAID IT!
Aw Cricket that SUCKS. The least they could've done is acknowledged that they'd had contact with you before
Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #2524
Snappy
A new year, a new avatar

Snappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnappy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Monday morning pit! I'd say "good morning" but that seems dull. So "morning" it is. Thanks, Soul and all fellow pit-ters? pit-ees? eh, just thanks. I am going to crawl back into the sub sub basement which I'm assuming is dug at this point and hide. If anyone wants me, dive on in.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:19 PM   #2525
ink wench

*hangs out in Red's sub basement*

So I've decided the contemporary I'm working on is the epitome of all the reasons my current contemp is getting R'd. It's not hooky and it's too similar to another book. Yay. And, you know, I could put it aside and work on something else, but the only other thing tempting me is a paranormal that I need to revise, and YA paranormal is supposed to be completely and utterly overdone.

I've lost the desire to work on anything.

Twitter * Website
Closed Thread