Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > New Members
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #5076
urbanmum
Village Vagabond

urbanmum has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrylch13 View Post
Summer sound? I'm with SaraP, sort of. I live on Lake Huron and the sound of the lake is mesmerizing. It has many different sounds and patterns of sound that I enjoy. The constant roar of active waves, the gentle wush-wush of a calm day, the crashing of huge waves on the break wall in town. We might have to move within the next couple of years, and my heart is dreading being torn from that lake.
I spend as much of the summer that I am able to at Lake Huron, I adore it. My heart breaks every time I have to head back home. I'd love to have a place on the lake one day.
Dr. Suess
urbanmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:36 PM   #5077
that redhead
practical experience, FTW

that redhead has a spectacular aurathat redhead has a spectacular aura
My favorite summer sound is rain on my skylight and thunder from a good monsoon storm. It's a close cousin of my favorite summer scent...the creosote-scented desert after a good storm.
that redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:37 AM   #5078
rhetoric by rosalie
figuring it all out

rhetoric by rosalie is on a distinguished road
The gentle sound of wind chimes tingling with the warm summer breeze.
rhetoric by rosalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #5079
slcboston
Just What It Says on the Label

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New QotW - two for one sale!

What is your favorite room in your house?

or, if you don't have one, or it's kind of boring, you can answer this one instead:

Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favorite.

Mine would be a reading nook, tucked into a bay window. Which I don't have. But will someday.

Along with the room I can dedicate to just being a library.

Ok, yes, that's two places, and the bay window would take precedence, but I'd still like the library.

“People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. ”

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

FleasTwits
slcboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #5080
jtrylch13
Has semi-colon; will use it!

jtrylch13 is a glorious beacon of lightjtrylch13 is a glorious beacon of lightjtrylch13 is a glorious beacon of light
I wish my kids had a playroom or a basement retreat. Then any room would be my favorite because I'd have some peace and quiet! (Reading nook sounds magical too, though!)
jtrylch13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #5081
Griesmeel
Wide eyed stumbler.

Griesmeel is on a distinguished road
Mij corner. The apartment has a balcony which has been closed, creating a semi-seperated corner. It exactly fits my computer desk and some shelves, it has the most light of the living room and I'm partially hidden so it's not immediately obvious whem I'm playing rather than writing.
I seriously need a better desk chair though.

It's great that you have all these ideas for your next book but how 'bout you finish the first one? (Girlfriend)
Griesmeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #5082
toldyouso
Surly Temple

toldyouso has a spectacular aura
'Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favorite.'

I used to always want some sort of writing studio or study, beyond just my bedroom. But last year I read 'My Cool Caravan', this book about selected vintage caravans and their stories, complete with lovely pictures. (for the curious). I would love something that pretty in my backyard to sneak off to and write in. It'd be like having a writing playhouse.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #5083
urbanmum
Village Vagabond

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcboston View Post
What is your favorite room in your house?

or, if you don't have one, or it's kind of boring, you can answer this one instead:

Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favorite.

My favourite place is the couch in the sunroom. It`s great for reading, writing, watching thunderstorms, or even those odd occasions when I can just watch the clouds roll by on a gorgeous blue sky.

My ideal place would be if that sunroom were actually mine (I rent) and it was facing the ocean with a wide, plush window seat running the length of the windows.
Dr. Suess
Old 08-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #5084
Gavin23
Dum Spiro, Spero.

Gavin23 is on a distinguished road
"What is your favorite room in your house?"

The 'Back Room'. Where we tend to congregate to read or do anything that doesn't involve tv!

"Places you don't have in your house but, if you did, they'd be your favourite."

I'd love a library. Nothing too huge, with a wood burning fire and a few comfy chairs
Gavin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #5085
parumpdragon
chicken, well its cousin that is

parumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsparumpdragon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Morning, did we start a game here that I don't know about?

Goodreads

I'm a friend of Foo Bat - join the club!
parumpdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:32 AM   #5086
ShannonH
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

ShannonH is on a distinguished road
I am a gentle rainicorn.. I nibble on your brainz. neigh. neigh. I say
ShannonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:06 AM   #5087
slcboston

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
New QotW

School has started here in the US, but even if you're out where you are, I figure you can still answer this:

What was your favorite part of "back to school," either as a student or a parent/educator?

For me, as a student, I was always ready to go back because I'd exhausted my summer.

As a teacher and a parent now, it's much different. As a teacher it means a regular paycheck, and some new students (and old students as well). It means a return to routine, certainly.

As a parent, well, I think I am perhaps more nervous that my child is about how she'll do on the first day in her new classes.

FleasTwits
Old 09-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #5088
urbanmum
Village Vagabond

"What was your favorite part of "back to school," either as a student or a parent/educator?"

As a student, definitely the shopping. I loved when the fall fashions hit the shops--cozy sweaters for cooler breezes, loved fresh notebooks with crisp pages--opening a new pack of pens and writing my name on the first page with every single one in the pack, and loved the anticipation of what was to come--the possibility that anything could happen.

Now, as a parent, it feels bittersweet. I love that my son is excited to go back to school (only his second year) so I like getting everything ready with him, but it's a reminder of how quickly time is passing, and I genuinely miss him when he's gone. It's tricky because I can never relate to all the other parents who are so happy school is starting again. (Odd man out my whole life so no difference there LOL) I miss the days we spend together and look forward to all the upcoming breaks in the school year.
Dr. Suess
Old 09-04-2011, 01:23 AM   #5089
valeriev89
Newbie and proud of it!

valeriev89 is on a distinguished road
My favorite part of back to school was definitely shopping. I loved when my mom would take me to get my school supplies and anything else I needed. I'm still in college so she still does that ^_^
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #5090
rhetoric by rosalie
figuring it all out

Since my day (or evening) job is in retail, I'd say my favorite part of going back to school is getting ready for Halloween. Putting out the creepy merchandise and the smell of pumpkin candles and potpourri.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #5091
LeafintheBreeze
figuring it all out

LeafintheBreeze is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What was your favorite part of "back to school," either as a student or a parent/educator?
Shopping, as well. It was exciting to get new stuff. Also, getting to see my friends again, on a regular basis.
LeafintheBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #5092
slcboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhetoric by rosalie View Post
Since my day (or evening) job is in retail, I'd say my favorite part of going back to school is getting ready for Halloween. Putting out the creepy merchandise and the smell of pumpkin candles and potpourri.
My daughter asked me why the Halloween stuff was up already when we walked into the store the other day. I had never really associated it with back to school, but I suppose in the on-going quest to push the holidays on us earlier and earlier, that fits.

FleasTwits
Old 09-06-2011, 06:40 PM   #5093
slcboston

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmum View Post
definitely the shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valeriev89 View Post
definitely shopping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafintheBreeze View Post
Shopping, as well.
I don't think I've *ever* been excited about shopping, under any circumstances. Other than for the occasional book, but I don't think that's quite the same, as I always went in for just that one item and then got out.

... hmmm, might be a new QotW in that somewhere...

FleasTwits
Old 09-06-2011, 06:58 PM   #5094
night-flyer
Roasting cows

night-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsnight-flyer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My favorite part of 'back to school' was that my kids are grown and I didn't have to deal with it.

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

night-flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #5095
OctoberRoses

OctoberRoses is on a distinguished road
I would have to go with the ocean. Its a whole other world down there and few get to see it up close. They say space is the final frontier but we've only just begun to learn about our oceans. So i would without a doubt explore the ocean. Unless you told me there was a planet out there that had life on it and i was the first person to study it.

Last edited by OctoberRoses; 09-06-2011 at 07:23 PM.
OctoberRoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:46 AM   #5096
attacus-atlas

attacus-atlas is on a distinguished road
Since I'm in college now, my favorite part of "back to school" is seeing my friends and getting to Live My Own Life (as much as I can at this point).

I do miss my family sometimes though... and my cats. :/ And of course with schoolwork and classes getting in the way, I can't just spend all day reading and Internetting like I did over the summer!

Totally agree with the shopping, though, haha. I used to LOVE buying school supplies when I was a kid.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #5097
rhetoric by rosalie
figuring it all out

Quote:
My daughter asked me why the Halloween stuff was up already when we walked into the store the other day. I had never really associated it with back to school, but I suppose in the on-going quest to push the holidays on us earlier and earlier, that fits.

I think, as a general rule of retail, it's to make merchandise available 6-8 weeks prior to the event. That's why it's hard to find clothes (such as swim suits) in the stores when you need them...except for those at the beach stores. The nice thing though, is if you wait, you get everything on sale, just not as much of a selection. So, buy your Halloween candy and costumes now.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #5098
Sandino

Sandino is on a distinguished road
I'm a librarian, so I love to select books for my students, and I can read as much as I want!
Sandino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 AM   #5099
slcboston

New QotW

Snack foods that you can't have in the house lest you eat them all?

Some snacks I can keep around and they'll last quite a while, others... not so much. In my case, it tends to be nachos and pork rinds. They get eaten immediately.

But in honor of the end of summer here (and picnic type snack foods) I thought I'd ask.

FleasTwits
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 AM   #5100
Spiral
looking at the stars

Spiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputationSpiral has a golden reputation
Arrowroot cookies. It's just plain dangerous for me to have a box in the house.
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote