Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Strike a chord" or "strike a cord"?

??

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Old 11-16-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
CACTUSWENDY
An old, sappy, and happy one.
Requiescat In Pace

CACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCACTUSWENDY is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cool

chord..like in music....

Posted on Amazon.com and Smashwords.com

Don't forget to give a buck or two towards the Number One writing site online.

You are only a shadow standing in your own sunshine.[/SIZE]
Old 11-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
Mr. Chuckletrousers
Sith happens.

Mr. Chuckletrousers is a splendid one to beholdMr. Chuckletrousers is a splendid one to beholdMr. Chuckletrousers is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
??
Strike a chord -- an idiom meaning to arouse an emotional response or resonance among your listeners.

Strike a cord -- to hit a wire, line, or piece of wood...?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #4
kct webber
Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.

kct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd say chord makes sense.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ~ Red Green

Old 11-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #5
The Lonely One
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputation
As a guitarist, I would agree.

A chord is a combination of single notes that are in a single key. The sound it produces means the notes have successfully been combined to create a consonant sound. It's a connection that is made.

"There is no language without deceit." -Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Always work at making different mistakes and you'll get there.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #6
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Makes sense?
Quote:
Would agree?
Holy cow! Would someone lock this thread, which was accurately answered by the first post, two minutes after the original question was posed.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #7
kct webber

kct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskct webber is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wake up on the wrong side of the bed, Bufty?

Old 11-16-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Bufty

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Probably. It's not unknown for us old guys to get in one side and fall out the other.

Last edited by Bufty; 11-16-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 PM   #9
kct webber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufty View Post
Probably. It's not unknown for us old guys to get in one side and fall out the other.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 PM   #10
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It's not unknown for us old guys to get in one side and fall out the other.
Might have gotten hurt, too, if he hadn't landed on that cheerleader.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Old 11-16-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
Bufty

Damn! I thought I'd filled that hole in the ceiling. You quit spyin' on me, you dirty old man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
Might have gotten hurt, too, if he hadn't landed on that cheerleader.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
kct webber

Willie is the ceiling cat! Ha!

Old 11-16-2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Chase
Ghostly signs

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have to side with Bufty on this issue.

There's nothing wrong with an expert on music (or firefighting or weapons or quilting) backing up another. What I find counterproductive are the gratuitous and very often wrong opinions and guesses offered.

That and pretending the question hasn't already been answered and other self-serving agenda.

Chase, crawling back in bed to find the other side.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:36 PM   #14
Plot Device
A woman said to write like a man.

Plot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPlot Device is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I googled BOTH phrases, and each had substantial hits to them. (Thus I came here.)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd%22&aq=f&oq=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rike+a+cord%22

Now I admit that "chord" had about 15 times more hits than "cord." But "cord" still has a fan following out there (a fan club quite possibly composed of lots of bad typists).

Be prepared. (Sandy said so.)
Old 11-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #15
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's strike a chord.

And the dictionary is your friend.

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Old 11-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
Prawn
Writing is finite,revising infinite

Prawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputation
I agree with Lisa. If strike a chord doesn't make much sense, think about this: a piano is a percussion instrument.

Last edited by Prawn; 11-17-2008 at 01:55 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:52 AM   #17
Chase
Ghostly signs

Chase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChase is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawn View Post
I agree with Lisa. If strike a chord doesn't make much sense, think about this: piano is a percussion instrument.
Prawn hammers his point down to the wire.

But I axe you this, do I strike a cord when I split firewood? Just kidding. Sorry.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:04 AM   #18
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"Strike a chord" is an old idiom, and since the earliest attestation is to a harp, it does make sense when we think about it a bit.

Keep in mind that in stringed instruments when you play a chord, you strike it or strum the strings--it's a percussive act, forcing the strings to vibrate. Think about the line in the Christmas carol: "Deck the Halls"--"Strike the harp and join the chorus."

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:14 AM   #19
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plot Device View Post
I googled BOTH phrases, and each had substantial hits to them. (Thus I came here.)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rd%22&aq=f&oq=

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...rike+a+cord%22

Now I admit that "chord" had about 15 times more hits than "cord." But "cord" still has a fan following out there (a fan club quite possibly composed of lots of bad typists).

To be fair to the Strike a Cord search, the first lot are all either people asking the same question, obvious misspellings ( I mean if they are talking about music it's definitely chord) or people talking about corduroy, which I somehow doubt is the subject for your question

Whereas the Strike a Chord search has dictionary definitions in teh first few.

A dead give away

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 AM   #20
Prawn
Writing is finite,revising infinite

Prawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
or people talking about corduroy
Which doesn't exactly mean "cloth of the king".
Old 11-17-2008, 02:31 AM   #21
ComicBent
practical experience, FTW

ComicBent is on a distinguished road
It is chord.

Go look it up in real dictionaries instead of using the internet.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 AM   #22
The Lonely One
Why is a raven like a writing desk?

The Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputationThe Lonely One has a double-platinum reputation
I don't get it. Did I piss someone off?

Strike that, I don't give a shit even if I did.(or should I say "strike that chord").

"There is no language without deceit." -Italo Calvino, Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachen Jager View Post
Always work at making different mistakes and you'll get there.

Last edited by The Lonely One; 11-17-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:33 AM   #23
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I see what's needed here is some scarletpeaches clarification magicks.

The correct answer is:

CHORD.

Shut the shit down on this thread, yo.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #24
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Question asked and answered.

-Derek
Closed Thread