Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Humor
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2008, 02:09 AM   #1
ladyvincenza
user-set title

ladyvincenza is on a distinguished road
paying markets for humor writing

Hello Fellow writers,
I want to do humor writing, but am having difficulty finding any places that publish for much money, if they pay anything at all. I'd like to submit to Cracked, but their submission system only allows you to submit through a form, which is like sending it to a black hole. I've tried to bypass this by trying to find an actual person to email, but couldn't find any way to do so. As for MAD, which I've read since I as a kid, I couldn't find a human for this, either, even though I asked.
Any way to get to those places? And any well-paying humor markets?
Thanks!
Sarah
ladyvincenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 02:17 AM   #2
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've tried both those mags in the past, w/o success of getting published.
There's also Funny Times, which pays a decent rate, but not as much as those two.
http://www.funnytimes.com/
http://www.funnytimes.com/submissions.php
Ken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:29 AM   #3
HoraceJames
practical experience, FTW

HoraceJames has a spectacular aura
I don't know about Cracked, but I believe Mad uses staff writers almost exclusively. When I was a kid, they featured the same (excellent) group of 6-8 people for years and years.
Well, a rat always knows
When he's in with weasels
Here you lose a little everyday
-- Tom Waits
HoraceJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:47 AM   #4
plaidearthworm
Rock and Squiggle

plaidearthworm is a splendid one to beholdplaidearthworm is a splendid one to beholdplaidearthworm is a splendid one to behold
If you can find the July issue of The Writer, they had four humor markets listed, and a market closeup on MAD. The magazine's editor is Dave Croatto, and here's what he had to say: "MAD's audience runs in age from 8 to 80 (sorry 81-year-olds, you're out of luck!) We gladly accept unsolicited submissions, and writers can read our guidelines in the FAQ section of our Web site, www.madmag.com. The perfect submission is sent by someone who's read recent issues and knows MAD's voice, has a fresh approach and doesn't write down to our moronic readers."

The other magazines listed were Funny Times (www.funnytimes.com), Annals of Improbable Research (www.improbable.com), and The Wittenburg Door (www.thewittenburgdoor.com).

Hope this helps!

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!
plaidearthworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly, and Harper's all take humor. Sure, chances of getting accepted by them are slim -- though still better than your chances of winning the lottery -- but I figure it's worth the shot because what if one of them says "yes"?

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:39 AM   #6
AmyDoodle
I'm a Bajaffe!

Location: 2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar Tit
AmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAmyDoodle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Look for places that take essays, then send them humorous ones. The Smithsonian's Last Page and The Christian Science Monitor for example.

Sometimes it's best for Yin and Yang to get separate dressing rooms.
AmyDoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 AM   #7
ladyvincenza
user-set title

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceJames View Post
I don't know about Cracked, but I believe Mad uses staff writers almost exclusively. When I was a kid, they featured the same (excellent) group of 6-8 people for years and years.
Yeah, but MAD is seeking freelance work; they've had calls for submissions. You can check out their website.
Sarah
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
ladyvincenza
user-set title

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 AM   #9
ladyvincenza
user-set title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeek View Post
To submit to Cracked, you need to register for their forum, and then post a request to be added to their workshop thread.

Here, see this for more info --> http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/...comedy-cracked

Thanks, Eek. You are awesome. How did you know about this? (Those sneaky "gatekeepers" hiding information from good writers tick me off)
Old 09-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #10
plaidearthworm
Rock and Squiggle

plaidearthworm is a splendid one to beholdplaidearthworm is a splendid one to beholdplaidearthworm is a splendid one to behold
Here's a new one, just found out about it today courtesy of Funds for Writers: New Christian Voices is wanting humor. It's a paying market, but it doesn't say how much. Looks promising, though. Here's the writers guidelines: http://www.newchristianvoices.com/blogs/joanne-brokaw/ncv-writers-guidelines.

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!
plaidearthworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
B8SMAN
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

B8SMAN is on a distinguished road
Call for Submissions

I posted a thread about this above, but I didn't see this thread, so forgive me if this info is a repeat. A River & Sound Review is accepting submissions for humor (paid gig). Please see the info below or visit our website, www.riverandsoundreview.org, for more info on how you can submit.

Thanks,
Jay Bates
Humor Editor
A River & Sound Review

Humor
We will consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 2,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny). Place entire manuscript in the text of an email message. (Submissions with manuscripts sent as an attachment will not be opened or read.) Please include your name and email address in the message along with a precise word count and secondary contact information. In the Subject Line, place your first and last name and the words “Humor Submission.”

Send your humor submission to our editors at RSRhumoreditor@hotmail.com.
B8SMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:58 AM   #12
Vultural
figuring it all out

Vultural is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8SMAN View Post
. . . Please see the info below or visit our website, www.riverandsoundreview.org, for more info on how you can submit.

Thanks,
Jay Bates
Humor Editor
A River & Sound Review

Humor
We will consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 2,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny). Place entire manuscript in the text of an email message. (Submissions with manuscripts sent as an attachment will not be opened or read.) Please include your name and email address in the message along with a precise word count and secondary contact information. In the Subject Line, place your first and last name and the words “Humor Submission.”

Send your humor submission to our editors at RSRhumoreditor@hotmail.com.
Update on their definition of humor. Note the end sentence.

Humor
We consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 1,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny), but please know that what we qualify as "humor" is typically in the form of lampoons, rants, satires, and parodies. No humorous fiction please.
Vultural is offline   Reply With Quote