Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 06:07 AM   #1
Joycecwilliams
practical experience, FTW

Joycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
awakes vs. awakens.

Which sentence is correct?

The noise awakens Larry, he stares at me with his eyes squinted and brow crinkled.

or

The noise awakes Larry, he stares at me with his eyes squinted and brow crinkled.

Joycecwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
TheIT
Infuriatingly Theoretical

TheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTheIT is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think both are correct, but I'd suggest using "wakes".

NaNoWriMo 2014: Swimming Through the Maelstrom

Available now:

Everyone wishes they could get an extra hour in the day. But what if you could?

Doorways to Extra Time
TheIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Debs
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Debs is on a distinguished road
Just "wakes" works well for me too.
Debs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
pink lily
in the pink

pink lily is a shiny, shiny jewelpink lily is a shiny, shiny jewel
Either "wakes" or "awakens," but not "awakes."

pink lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
ideagirl

ideagirl is a glorious beacon of lightideagirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joycecwilliams View Post

The noise awakens Larry, he stares at me with his eyes squinted and brow crinkled.

or

The noise awakes Larry, he stares at me with his eyes squinted and brow crinkled.
Awakens. Or wakes. But the rest of the sentence doesn't flow so well. So:

The noise awakens [or wakes] Larry. He squints at me with his brow crinkled.
ideagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Joycecwilliams

Joycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoycecwilliams is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
He squints at me with his brow crinkled.
Well that sounds like his crinkled brow is staring at me.

I did change it to:

The noise awakens Larry, he stares at me with his eyes squinting and brow crinkled while I get dressed.

Joycecwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:23 AM   #7
Mumut
Well begun is half done...

Mumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for PresidentMumut should run for President
Awake is only transitive whereas awaken can be both transitive and intransitive, according to an on-line dictionary.
Mumut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #8
FennelGiraffe
It's green they say

FennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for PresidentFennelGiraffe should run for President
Quote:

or

Neither, because they aren't punctuated correctly. Change the comma to either a period or a semicolon.

(Yes, I know that wasn't the question, but the wakes/awakens issue has been adequately covered.)

In a mystery novel, if I describe what's on a desk, the reader will understand that one of those objects is a clue.

In a literary novel, if I describe what's on a desk, the reader will understand it to be a metaphor for the protagonist's mental state.
- James D. Macdonald, discussing Reading Protocols, 6 Apr 2009
FennelGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 AM   #9
ideagirl

ideagirl is a glorious beacon of lightideagirl is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Well that sounds like his crinkled brow is staring at me.
I did change it to:
The noise awakens Larry, he stares at me with his eyes squinting and brow crinkled while I get dressed.
That is redundant. What else could possibly be squinting but his eyes? That would be like saying "he comes towards me with his legs walking." Just say "he walks towards me" or, here, "he squints at me."
ideagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The noise wakes Larry. He squints at me, his brow crinkled.
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote