Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine

Their submission guidelines (http://www.andromedaspaceways.com/subtracking.htm) say they're backed up with the slushpile, but do they still reply within one week with a submission number? Or is that also backed up? Because I haven't heard from them in about a week, but I don't know if that's because they're backed up or because my submission never arrived. Anybody heard from them in the past few weeks? How long ago did you submit a story?
Currently: Juggling multiple WIPs, including sequels
Love Stories on Tumblr/Library
Current projects: Editing the historical that came out of nowhere
MumblingSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 08:38 PM   #2
Gray Rose
Beware of the Thorns!

Gray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudge
This is normal for ASIM at that stage. It takes them now about 3 weeks to input incoming stories into the database. I wouldn't query (or worry) yet.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
Saanen
Inappropriate Charmer

Saanen is a glorious beacon of lightSaanen is a glorious beacon of light
Well hell. I wish I'd known. On April 27 I sent a story, didn't get an acknowledgement so I resent it after a week, and never got an acknowledgement for that one either. I assumed that my emails weren't going through so I've subbed that story elsewhere. Do you suppose they actually did get it and they're just being super slow inputting it? Because almost two months seems excessive.

ETA: Er, I can't count, apparently--not two months but certainly more than one.

Last edited by Saanen; 06-03-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Saanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 AM   #4
Adam Israel
Formerly known as StoneTable
AW Moderator

Adam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputation
I have a story that's been sitting there for 51 days without an acknowledgment. From what I can tell (talking to others who've submitted, editors blogs, etc), they have the stories, but they're not sending out submission numbers until they are put into the database for the readers.

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." - Nikola Tesla
Adam Israel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

MumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for PresidentMumblingSage should run for President
Oh boy. Glad I asked.

Saanen--I'm in a similar boat. I seem to have subbed the same story twice, and was about to send it a third time...I have high hopes for the thing, but I don't think anybody woudl want to read it three times ^^. At least we know now.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
Gray Rose
Beware of the Thorns!

Gray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudge
They've been slow lately. I hear this from a lot of people. In the beginning of March it took them 2.5 weeks to input my story. This time has been getting progressively longer. There seems to be a backlog, I am not sure what is causing it, and they are not so good about answering queries lately. But I had a fabulous experience with ASIM - the feedback I received from them on my story was awesome (it got rejected from round 2). Definitely worth the wait.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #7
zarabee
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

zarabee is on a distinguished road
Hi folks,

Zara Baxter, Andromeda Spaceways Slushmistress here.

We don't have an automated tracking number allocation -- instead, I have to manually add submissions to the database.

Unfortunately, my job has recently required a lot of overseas travel, and I haven't been able to update regularly -- there's a big backlog right now, and I'm working my way through it. It should be cleared by the end of June.

If you've submitted a story, you will get a tracking number eventually -- if you've submitted elsewhere, just drop a note to the subs address to let me know.

I'm trying to find a better way to let you know we have your story without harrassing my poor slushreaders with "thanks for your email" replies; if only gmail had a better auto-response system!

Sorry for the delays, and thanks for your patience!
zarabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #8
Adam Israel
AW Moderator

Adam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputationAdam Israel has a golden reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarabee View Post
Hi folks,

Zara Baxter, Andromeda Spaceways Slushmistress here.

We don't have an automated tracking number allocation -- instead, I have to manually add submissions to the database.

Unfortunately, my job has recently required a lot of overseas travel, and I haven't been able to update regularly -- there's a big backlog right now, and I'm working my way through it. It should be cleared by the end of June.

If you've submitted a story, you will get a tracking number eventually -- if you've submitted elsewhere, just drop a note to the subs address to let me know.

I'm trying to find a better way to let you know we have your story without harrassing my poor slushreaders with "thanks for your email" replies; if only gmail had a better auto-response system!

Sorry for the delays, and thanks for your patience!
Thank you so much for the update! Best of luck clearing the backlog (and safe travels)!

"The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." - Nikola Tesla
Old 06-03-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
spacejock2
practical experience, FTW

spacejock2 is a glorious beacon of lightspacejock2 is a glorious beacon of light
Simon here, also from Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine (what, another hat?)

Just wanted to let people know that the queue status page shows a bit of info about what's happening right now (although thanks to Zara's post above, that's pretty clear!)

http://www.andromedaspaceways.com/subtracking.htm

Hal Spacejock 5 out this month!
spacejock2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:06 PM   #10
beezle
Cheers

beezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputation
Thanks for the updates folks, I think your mag is a blast. I even sent you a story once, say, oh... three or more years back? 'bout a bomb and a teddy bear. Made it past two rounds of slush before it was knocked back, but hey, I didn't have a clue what I was doing back then, and it didn't servive to be published *grin*. Maybe it's time to send in another one.

Keep up the good work.
beezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 AM   #11
Adam Israel
AW Moderator

Yay, the Slushmistress has been busy.

For those keeping track, it looks like they're up to April 12 or thereabouts. I received my confirmation today.

As always, practice patience, keep writing and remember to hug an editor/slusher when you see them. They catch a lot of undeserved grief.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
yanallefish

yanallefish is on a distinguished road
Hi zarabee, thanks for letting us know about your thoughts -- you too Simon I'm waiting patiently as I can but it's always good to hear why stuff's slow.

Personally I like the sub tracker; most magazines just say "ok we got your thing" and then I don't hear from them for a while. So to me it's good!

submissions: 10

rejections: 6

acceptances: 1 (one Kindle story/book)
http: //howewriter2000.4t.com

http://hyperbard.livejournal.com/

(Dave Pursues the Gryphon)http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005NKFRQY

...and coming *soon*, DnDOnline Gaming will have a campaign module for Kritter, one of my worlds! (started working on it beginning of Sept 2009)
yanallefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 AM   #13
MumblingSage
Inarticulate Herb

Thanks a lot, Baxter and Simon! I shall wait patiently. Safe travels, thanks for you time, and all that.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 PM   #14
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
with the new ASIM tracking system and efficiency... has anyone been in their "potential pool"?

Any new info about working with them?
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
RainyDayNinja

RainyDayNinja has a spectacular aura
My story with them was short-listed after two weeks (which was faster than they said it would take), and then I just got an acceptance after another week and a half.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #16
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by defyalllogic View Post
with the new ASIM tracking system and efficiency... has anyone been in their "potential pool"?

Any new info about working with them?
Recently, the stories have been getting numbers assigned quickly. You get emails if you progress through the rounds, so you'll know it's going ahead. I've generally found their rejection comments to be on the harsh side (compared to other places I've submitted), but that'll likely vary based on your writing style.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #17
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The one story I submitted made it to the short list, and the rejection comments were fairly complimentary. They indicated that it wasn't fitting into the themes of their upcoming issues (would have been perfect for the one that came out a few weeks after I submited - sigh for timing) and didn't want to hold onto it indefinitely.

Maybe I just had a different rejector.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:03 PM   #18
dgrintalis
'Tis true, she is a monstergirl

dgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgrintalis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I submitted a story on October 9th, received a tracking number on the 12th, received a notice that my story had progressed through the initial read on the 15th, and received an acceptance on the 20th. I've already received an email from the editor who picked my story, which will appear in the magazine early next year. They have been great to work with. I've nothing but good things to say.

INK on Goodreads
INK on Amazon

A tattoo can be a work of art…or a curse.

Out now in trade paperback and ebook from Samhain Horror.

Coming in Spring 2014: An as yet untitled collection of short fiction from Apex Publications.
dgrintalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #19
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillaryjacques View Post
The one story I submitted made it to the short list, and the rejection comments were fairly complimentary. They indicated that it wasn't fitting into the themes of their upcoming issues (would have been perfect for the one that came out a few weeks after I submited - sigh for timing) and didn't want to hold onto it indefinitely.

Maybe I just had a different rejector.
To be clear, I'm not saying the rejections were harsh because they didn't like my stories. I acknowledge that I probably write in a way that's too weird for the magazine.

But one rejection made direct comments about me, as well as criticising the other slush readers for putting the story through. It made it personal in a way it shouldn't be. That's what I consider harsh, as I think rejections should be about the story. It hasn't happened to me at any other market.

Overall I like ASIM, and I have submitted again after that rejection, but I don't think it hurts for people to know they could get a rejection like that.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #20
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's unfortunate, Polenth. Also, honestly, I think it a bit unprofessional to reveal criticisms of their own people.

I once had an editor say that he didn't trust me. Me, the author, not the unreliable narrator. I thought that was unneccesary.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 04:42 AM   #21
defyalllogic
i'm a girl. (i have tendonitis)

defyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to beholddefyalllogic is a splendid one to behold
that is good to know. and actually really scary.

for the explanation of their slush process it sounded to me like they have slush readers who i kind of understand to be like a street team, they get free reads and crit the stories.
defyalllogic is offline   Reply With Quote