Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2010, 02:41 AM   #26
jennifer williams
practical experience, FTW

jennifer williams is on a distinguished road
I was wondering, since Rayna is building her own client list, is it appropriate to send a query to the agency addressing her? Or should I still have it addressed to Robert and hopes she reads it? The reason I'm wondering is cause I already wrote this agency off as I didn't think his client list matches my novel.

However, after reading her blog (thanks Stikan for providing that!) I think that she would be a good fit.
jennifer williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 AM   #27
Stikan
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Stikan is on a distinguished road
Jennifer,

I used the online form provided on their website to query. But I'd say, since the guidelines say to address the query as "Dear Robert", I would honor that.

I think she reads all the queries, and I know Robert is trying to help her build her client list and knows what she is looking for. I'm sure he'll pass it along to her if he reads it first and thinks she may like it. No worries :-).

Tip: She really likes the beginning of the book to start with an immediate, decisive action pertaining to the main plot.

http://www.stinakanaris.com
Stikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:04 AM   #28
jennifer williams

jennifer williams is on a distinguished road
Thanks for your advice! I just sent my query in. Hopefully the wait won't be too long. Good luck to everyone else with their partials!
jennifer williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:43 AM   #29
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks! Good luck to you too

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:53 AM   #30
Stikan

Good luck guys! It took them about week to request my partial and only two days to get back to me on it. You guys should be getting a response pretty soon :-)

Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #31
Roly
silly puppy monster

Roly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRoly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krista G. View Post
P.S. Mr. Astle's assistant did give some very personalized feedback in her rejection, which is always nice. Frustrating when it doesn't correspond to what other agents have said, but nice nonetheless.
Got a rejection from her today. Took her 11 days from partial to rejection. Frustrating as well because I changed the opening specifically because some agents and readers complained they didn't feel connected enough with my MC and it started a bit too quickly. So after getting feedback to maybe start a little bit earlier to get more of a feel for the character (but still with some interesting action etc), I get:

We would suggest that you start your story later so that there is more immediate action to draw the reader in; we also suggest that you decide what the central concept of your story will be and focus on that as soon as possible to stop your readers from being confused.

Man I just don't get what I should do at this point :\

Feather Bound (YA Magical Realism/Strange Chemistry Books/Spring 2014):
*Now available.*
Add on: Goodreads
Purchase Links and Sample Chapter

D.S. (YA Fantasy): *with agent, awaiting the go ahead to catch the sub-go-round.*

My twitter is real.
Roly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #32
Twizzle
Cluck that.

Twizzle has a golden reputationTwizzle has a golden reputationTwizzle has a golden reputationTwizzle has a golden reputationTwizzle has a golden reputationTwizzle has a golden reputation
Roly. Check your reps. If you like your new opening, if you think it's better, don't sweat it. It's one, subjective opinion.

"Actually, I take that back. There's no 'sort of' about it."-Giant Baby 2011
Twizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #33
WaterLilly

WaterLilly is on a distinguished road
Hmm... sent her a partial on the 8th but haven't heard back. I wonder what that means...

Maybe she's just reading them out of order.
WaterLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #34
Stikan

I agree with Twizzle, Rory. If you like it, don't sweat it.

She pretty much had the same thing to say about mine about the opening and the whole immediate action thing. I actually went to Barnes and Noble just to study some openings in YA books to see what others had done and a lot of them didn't start with the immediate action she is looking for. Remember, tastes are different :-).

Waterlilly, Rayna isn't a paid worker at Astle, Robert kept her on until she can find somewhere else to go as a full time gig. She reads as many partials as she can in the morning before going to her day job, then comes back at night and does a few more. Maybe her day job has just been crazy lately?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #35
WaterLilly

WaterLilly is on a distinguished road
No, I know her job(s) have been crazy. I was just wondering if she was reading them out of order because Roly has heard back from a partial sent on the 11th and I'm always paranoid my emails get lost in cyberspace.
WaterLilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #36
Stikan

Yeah I can relate! You never know!
Maybe she just loves your partial so much she keeps wanting to read it over and over and over... ;-)

Old 04-16-2010, 02:02 AM   #37
Epiphany
Don't kill the bar, Dude.

Epiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsEpiphany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Did Rayna fall off the face of the planet? Anyone?

Track of the Week: Harald Kloser: The End
Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:31 AM   #38
HapiSofi
Hagiographically Advantaged
AW Moderator

HapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHapiSofi is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLilly View Post
I wonder what that means...
That's seldom a productive question to ask about submissions.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:38 PM   #39
Little1
Hakuna Matata

Little1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle1 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Any current info? I sent my q in on 4/30 and no response. Should I put this as closed or send a nudge?
Old 10-21-2010, 01:47 AM   #40
Reikigirl

Reikigirl is on a distinguished road
Robert Astle & Associates

Hello...I recently got a partial request for the first 50 pages of my manuscript from this agent. I had read on another thread that he generally gets back to people within a week on their partials, however, it's been three weeks now and still no word. I was wondering if anyone has dealt with this agency and, if so, whether his response time has changed. I appreciate any feedback you folks can offer me on this. Thanks so much.
Reikigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #41
MJWare
Kidlit gang, Junior member.

MJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of lightMJWare is a glorious beacon of light
I just got a partial (first 3 chapters) request from Robert. Not much action here, so I thought I'd post. We'll see how it goes.
MJWare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #42
ladyjerusalem
Mastering the art of telepathy.

ladyjerusalem is on a distinguished road
Was going to query this agency until I read this sentence on the HOME PAGE:

"We also believe it takes an agency that will provide detailed editorial notes and sound career advice to develop and support a writers' career in the sometimes-bewildering world of literary and commercial publishing."

Wow.

JJ Martin

Query Letter Help:
http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com...ulQueries.aspx
ladyjerusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #43
Laura Droege
figuring it all out

Laura Droege is on a distinguished road
QT has these authors listed as ones he represents or has represented in the past: Don Donaldson, Nelson Erlick, Leonce Gaiter, Deirdre O'Connell, Jean Davies Okimoto, Lewis Perdue, Allen Wyler

Hope this helps someone. BTW, I didn't check out their Amazon listings, websites, etc., for accuracy. I'm just saying what the QT page says!
Old 12-27-2011, 03:04 AM   #44
pavtbr

pavtbr is on a distinguished road
Query Sent

Sent a query for my historical fiction today via the submission form on the website. Will post back when I hear a response.
pavtbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #45
F.L.N
The Old Curmudgeon

F.L.N is on a distinguished road
I have been unable to contact Robert at robert@astleliterary.com and I have been unable to find submission info on his web sight. Anyone have a suggestion?
Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers
F.L.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #46
Aggy B.
Not as sweet as you think

Aggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAggy B. is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.L.N View Post
I have been unable to contact Robert at robert@astleliterary.com and I have been unable to find submission info on his web sight. Anyone have a suggestion?
Comments on Querytracker indicate he was autoresponding at the beginning of the year to say his agency was closed.
Quote:
"The Agency will close for good- Jan 1st 2013. Please visit www.astorandblue.com and check out our terrific list of authors."
That link is to a digital first publisher. Perhaps he changed businesses?

The Spider Thief and The Sorcerer: Crowded Magazine
The Collections Agent: Available NOW!

A.G. Carpenter
@Aggy_C

Last edited by Aggy B.; 10-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Aggy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:20 PM   #47
F.L.N
The Old Curmudgeon

F.L.N is on a distinguished road
Thanks Aggy B,

I'll take him off my list.
Before going into battle, Vikings would ingest Amanita muscaria. In addition to being moderately poisonous, Amanita muscaria eliminated fear causing them to be feared warriors earning Vikings the nick name berserkers
F.L.N is offline   Reply With Quote