Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #301
Sunshine13
Mom by day, writer by night!

Sunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthoodSunshine13 is a candidate for sainthood
I'm with Lilly. Met her at the DFWCon. She's a super sweet, passionate-about-the-biz lady. I'd give up cupcakes the rest of my life for her as my agent. Good luck to everyone! She seems the type who definitely gets back to you one way or another.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #302
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Beckstah is a shiny, shiny jewelBeckstah is a shiny, shiny jewel
Seeing quite a few rejections on QueryTracker as of late, but my 4/13 query has yet to be answered. I'm guessing she's still not requesting material? I can wait, but I wish there was some way to know that my query got there safely.

Of course, I wouldn't really mind if I had to resend - I've edited the first chapter since, so the first five pages I sent her are from the previous draft.
Beckstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:50 AM   #303
elae
time to draw

elae is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckstah View Post
Seeing quite a few rejections on QueryTracker as of late, but my 4/13 query has yet to be answered. I'm guessing she's still not requesting material? I can wait, but I wish there was some way to know that my query got there safely.

Of course, I wouldn't really mind if I had to resend - I've edited the first chapter since, so the first five pages I sent her are from the previous draft.
She just tweeted this today: "I'm trying to reply to 800+ queries in my inbox."
So I figure she has it and is just working her way through a very full inbox!

Niki Smith: Comics & Graphic Novels
http://www.niki-smith.com/ | twitter

Please get in touch for cover design rates.
elae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:48 AM   #304
Gray Rose
Beware of the Thorns!

Gray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGray Rose is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I just wanted to say that I still haven't heard from Ms. Fox about my full, which I submitted on Jan.4 2009. Yes, I did query repeatedly (see upthread). I no longer expect to get an answer from her, and moved on to other things, but this does make me rather sad.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #305
KookyKat
figuring it all out

KookyKat is on a distinguished road
Does Diana Fox acknowledge receipt of fulls? She requested one from me a couple of weeks ago but I got no acknowledgment so wondering whether to chase to check she received it or just leave be?
KookyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #306
valeriek
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

valeriek is on a distinguished road
I sent her a full last week and didn't receive a confirmation either. I assumed that was normal though.
valeriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:19 AM   #307
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Still nothing regarding my 4/13 query. I decided to resubmit just in case.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #308
MarcyKate
There can be only One.

MarcyKate is on a distinguished road
I'm still waiting on a reply to my query from 11/4/2009. Though I'm thinking I may just query her on my next book that's thisclose to ready instead.
MarcyKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:59 AM   #309
Elizabeth Holloway
Pass the sugar

Elizabeth Holloway is a shiny, shiny jewelElizabeth Holloway is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by KookyKat View Post
Does Diana Fox acknowledge receipt of fulls? She requested one from me a couple of weeks ago but I got no acknowledgment so wondering whether to chase to check she received it or just leave be?
She acknowledged receipt of the full I sent on 4/25 and she acknowledged receipt of the revision I sent on 6/16. I'd resend if you didn't get acknowlegement after a week or so.
Website * Twitter * Blog
Elizabeth Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:36 AM   #310
Beckstah
Zen-ish

I'm still waiting on an April 9th query to Diana... it seems she's still considering it. I sent it again at the beginning of June just to be sure, and I didn't hear anything from that, either.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #311
augusto
New kid, beguile!

augusto is a glorious beacon of lightaugusto is a glorious beacon of light
For the record: I queried 6-2, rejected 6-20.
augusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #312
valeriek

valeriek is on a distinguished road
Thank you for that info Beth Light! I resent my full.

Also for the record, I queried 6/2, full request 6/3.
valeriek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #313
Annarkie
figuring it all out

Annarkie is on a distinguished road
OMG, full request! She apologized for taking so long and wanted to know if other agents were considering it. There are 4... 5, if you consider my R&R. How exactly do I word that?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:04 AM   #314
jennifer williams
practical experience, FTW

jennifer williams is on a distinguished road
Congrats Annarkie! Keep us updated on your progress!

I just looked it up and realized I never got an answer to the query I sent her on 2/17. Is she usually a no response means no or has my query gotten lost in the spammonster?

Just a Con (YA Contemporary Romance) - Finished at 55K (2 partials out)

Love Contract (YA Contemporary Romance) - Finished at 56K (3 fulls & 2 partials out)

Blog - [/COLOR]http://giveintotemptation-jenn.blogspot.com/
jennifer williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #315
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"At this time 5 other agents are considering the manuscript. I'll contact you immediately if I receive any offers."

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 10/16 items left
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:07 AM   #316
Beckstah
Zen-ish

Congratulations, Annarkie! Perhaps she's going through her 'maybe' pile. That'd certainly be nice.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:09 AM   #317
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Friday is the one-year anniversary of sending her my revised novel. I'll be status querying her then. She has answered all of my SQs but the last one.

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 10/16 items left
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #318
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kudos for your dedication, Sage. Now that's patience and courage.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #319
Annarkie
figuring it all out

Annarkie is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys. I had sent my original query on 2-17, then resent on 5-25 if that helps anyone.
I am so freakin' nervous!
Old 06-29-2010, 05:31 AM   #320
Brooks

Brooks is on a distinguished road
I sent Miss Fox my query May 1st, but I still haven't heard anything. I guess I'll wait a full three months before I try and send it again. I'm hoping I'm in a "maybe" pile somewhere.
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:52 AM   #321
brightlyiburn
The Little Aspie That Could

brightlyiburn is well-respected
I sent a query May 19th. I'm wondering though...looks like people have gotten responses since then. Is this just another silent no?

Dream: My short fantasy story, published in The Lorelei Signal.
brightlyiburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 PM   #322
Sakura-chan
practical experience, FTW

Sakura-chan is on a distinguished road
FYI: I sent her a query on June 4/10 and got rejected on June 27/10. So it does seem she is the type to give a response.

SW-Complete, querying
CM-Complete; shelved
CN-Complete, shelved
GC-34,500/70,000 (2011 WIP)

This
in comparison to this

(One day it'll be the reverse; just not today.)
Sakura-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:51 PM   #323
Moost
Is not my real name

Moost has a golden reputationMoost has a golden reputationMoost has a golden reputationMoost has a golden reputationMoost has a golden reputationMoost has a golden reputation
I sent a query in early April and haven't heard back.

PLAN B- agented
JUKEBOX HERO- 20K
Moost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #324
hillaryjacques
Undercover, sort of...

hillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentshillaryjacques is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think that she responds to most, but is just swamped. I queried on 3/2/10 and just received a response (rejection) on 6/24/10. So, to anyone who queried in the last three months, you might just want to wait rather than duplicating your query and bogging her down more.
hillaryjacques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:08 AM   #325
brightlyiburn
The Little Aspie That Could

brightlyiburn is well-respected
Thanks Hillary.

My previous rejection from Ms. Fox was a bit like yanking off a band-aid--painful, but at least it was over with fast. I was a little surprised this time around because everything I'd read gave me the impression she was always quick. But I do know she's swamped, I just wasn't sure what that meant.

And with the lack of response I'm getting lately, my poor fingernails can only take so much. Good to have something cleared up.

Dream: My short fantasy story, published in The Lorelei Signal.
brightlyiburn is offline   Reply With Quote