Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #6551
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Not YA, but written by an AWer and EXCELLENT reading, so far: White Horse, by Alex Adams. Started it this morning and will likely finish it today.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #6552
BriMaresh
New kid, be gentle!

BriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthoodBriMaresh is a candidate for sainthood
Just started The Selection by Kiera Cass. She was at a con I went to - C2E2 - and was hysterical on the panel. So far, the book's as brilliant as she was.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 AM   #6553
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished RED GLOVE by Holly Black, which left me a bit meh. The plot sagged when it should have popped and the oh-noes wangst relationship between Lila and Cass bored me. But I have bought BLACK HEART, which I've lined up to read next.

Also read SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT: THE END OF DAYS which was a one-off short story produced for World Book Day. It's a really fast-paced read with a bitter sweet ending - if you're a fan of the series then it's a must-read.

MM
Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #6554
mac3910
Here, there, everywhere

mac3910 is on a distinguished road
I finally had time to finish Pandemonium. I wasn't a big fan of Delirium but I read this just to continue with the characters. I don't think I'll be reading the third book. The ending was maddening and any reader could see it coming from three miles away.

I have Starters already downloaded, but I really want to read The Night Circus because I've heard amazing things about it from the people here at AW.
Jonathon Wittley - Trapped between no time and no energy - 25,000/45,000
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 AM   #6555
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tonight I'll start Hannah's Gone, Gone, Gone.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:54 AM   #6556
Carissa
my day, your day, lovely day

Carissa is on a distinguished road
I'm reading Elizabeth Norris' UNRAVELING. So far it's really not what I expected, but still very good - just different. More mystery than sci-fi. I'm only 15% in and think I've already guessed the ending .... I'm not sure that was supposed to happen =/ But maybe it means there will be an exciting twist! Ooooohhh yay =)

Works in Progress:
Farlight - YA Sci-Fi 100K -- Looking for first-round betas!
The Awakening of Minna Gray - YA Sci-Fi / Fantasy 89K (QUERYING)
Arraka - Outlining + 2K

Blog: http://carissa-taylor.blogspot.com/

Twitter: CarissaATaylor

Beta-reading
I'm (often) a willing beta reader! Interested in a beta swap? Check my availability here
Old 05-01-2012, 08:13 AM   #6557
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Not YA but reading Th3 H0$t by Stephenie Meyer. Surprisingly I like it more than Tw*l*ght.

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Old 05-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #6558
Cai
fish biscuit

Cai is on a distinguished road
I'm reading Nick Burd's The Vast Fields of Ordinary. So long it's great but I'm kind of dreading getting to the end. It's supposed to ... not be so good.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #6559
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
Well I visited my local 'recycling centre' and got about 12 books for 4.50 - kerching!

First I read THE KIDNAPPING OF SUZIE Q - quite short but very good, and I loved the little details about the IRA (set in Ireland, written in 1994)

Then INEXCUSABLE by Chris Lynch - 1st book I've read with an unreliable narrator and I really liked it.

Now I'm reading WHAT I SAW AND HOW I LIED and so far it's a bit meh.

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying...and entered in Pitch Wars!

C0LLISI0N C0URSE - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
Old 05-01-2012, 04:33 PM   #6560
KateSmash
[Insert something witty here]

KateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolnessKateSmash leaves trails of profuse coolness
Setting Anna aside for a day or two for Insurgent. For the few quibbles I had with the first book, I really like Veronica Roth and wanted a more-actiony dystopia.

(Also: Dauntless!)
Old 05-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #6561
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a shiny, shiny jewellauralam is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just finished City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. Enjoyed it well enough, aside from the squickly plot point near the end.

Rebel Angels by Libba Bray. Loved the first one--hoping the second one is just as good.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
Old 05-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #6562
Cai
fish biscuit

Cai is on a distinguished road
Finished Nick Burd's The Vast Fields of Ordinary. The end was kind of a letdown but I still like the overall story.

I too am moving on to Insurgent because I'm quite the Divergent fangirl.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #6563
A Girl In A Dress
... wrote you a story.

A Girl In A Dress is on a distinguished road
Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater.

... anyone else in LOVE with her writing?

kila ndege huruka na mbawa zake.
(every bird flies with its own wings)

Old 05-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #6564
Arclight
The Dragon's Daughter

Arclight is on a distinguished road
Finished Demonglass and reading the last Hex Hall book, Spell Bound. Demonglass was a little underwhelming compared to the first book, but this one looks better. Also read Some Girls Are. It made me cringe because the author doesn't hold back in her portrayal of high school bullying, but that's what made it so realistic to me.

I'm really looking forward to Insurgent, and hoping it's as much of a page-turner as the first book.
And, with the truth in mind, let me write lies
Old 05-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #6565
Becca C.
Recovering Canucks Fan

Location: Google says 1 hour, 8 minutes north of Vancouver, BC
Becca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputationBecca C. has a double-platinum reputation
I finished Wanderlove a little while ago, and... wow. So so good.

Also just finished Gone, Gone, Gone by our own Hannah Moskowitz... holy shit. I knew there was a reason I'd been counting down the days till its release. Favourite book of 2012 so far.

I got a package of three ARCs in the mail yesterday, but two of them are sequels to books I haven't read. Surrender by Elana Johnson and Envy by Elizabeth Miles. I haven't heard great things about Possession or Fury, either. Surrender has a different MC than Possession though, so maybe it can stand alone? The third ARC was The Unnaturalists, which I'm so stoked about reading!

Now represented by Rebecca Podos of Rees Literary!
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 AM   #6566
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. So far I'm loving it.

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 16/17 items left
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 PM   #6567
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Girl In A Dress View Post
Shiver, by Maggie Stiefvater.

... anyone else in LOVE with her writing?
*waves wildly* pick me pick me!

the Wolves of Mercy Falls series are the only paranormal romances I've EVER read, and I'm glad I chose them, because they are made of awesome. Her descriptions of the woods, and the snow, and Sam - okay, I'm a serious fangirl, so that isn't necessarily about her writing buuuuuut yeah I totally agree with you.

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying...and entered in Pitch Wars!

C0LLISI0N C0URSE - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
Old 05-02-2012, 03:43 PM   #6568
lauralam
Moonshade

lauralam is a shiny, shiny jewellauralam is a shiny, shiny jewel
I was pleasantly surprised by those as well. A lot more layers than a lot of paranormal romance I've read. However, both voices sounded pretty similar, which was a minor complaint. Sam just quoted more song lyrics and poetry.

False Hearts - A near-future thriller - January 2016 - Tor/Macmillan

YA GLBT gaslight fantasy:
Pantomime - February 5/7 2013 - Strange Chemistry Books
Shadowplay - January 2/4 2014 - Strange Chemistry Books
Micah Grey #3 - 2015 - Penglass Publishing

Vestigial Tales - Self-published short stories/novellas.

Website / Twitter / Goodreads
Old 05-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #6569
fredXgeorge
I heart sexy elves and wizards.

fredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewelfredXgeorge is a shiny, shiny jewel
FOREVER by Judy Blume.

'Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home.'
- J.K. Rowling
Old 05-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #6570
mac3910
Here, there, everywhere

mac3910 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Cinder by Marissa Meyer. So far I'm loving it.
I loved Cinder! I found it really refreshing from a lot of the YA books I've been reading lately.
Jonathon Wittley - Trapped between no time and no energy - 25,000/45,000
Old 05-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #6571
Rhoda Nightingale
Vampire Junkie

Rhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRhoda Nightingale is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just started The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith. "Intense" doesn't begin to cover it.

Blog: http://glitter-n-gore.livejournal.com/
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 AM   #6572
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished BLACK HEART by Holly Black and it left me underwhelmed. There are a lot of great ideas and the world has so much potential but the plot strands didn't gel for me and the unreliable narrator schtick (which basically relied on Cass not telling you what he'd planned) got really old across the three books. The ending has a really rushed feel to it as well. It's actually one of those books I'd point to as needing to be twice the length it is to do the ideas justice.

Have started an ARC of EARTH GIRL by Janet Edwards, which is a YA SF set in the far future where those humans who lack the immune systems to travel to other planets are confined to Earth and regarded as throw-backs and apes. Love the voice so far and she's deftly set up the world in only a couple of pages so I've got high hopes. It isn't released in the UK until August.

MM
Old 05-03-2012, 03:46 AM   #6573
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoda Nightingale View Post
Just started The Marbury Lens by Andrew Smith. "Intense" doesn't begin to cover it.
That book gave me nightmares.

I dropped TH3 H0$T for B1tt3rB|u3 by Kr!$t!n Ca$h0r3. Loving it so far!

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Old 05-03-2012, 05:18 AM   #6574
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
LIFE IS BUT A DREAM by Brian James. Strong contender for my "best of 2012" list.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 05-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #6575
Mclesh
It's too hot

Mclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMclesh is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Love Sucks -- it's great so far! (Hope I'm not embarrassing you, Sage.)

Facebook, Twitter
Website, Goodreads, Pinterest

Check out Grandma Susie's book of love poems on Createspace!

Mr. Katz is a Zombie, lower MG - October 2014!
Closed Thread