Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #6476
vsrenard
Troubles a star

vsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewelvsrenard is a shiny, shiny jewel
The Unidentified by Rae Mariz
An interesting exercise in pointing out how much personal information we give away without thinking, but ultimately the story felt flat and implausible.

The Tempest by Julie Cross

A time-travel plot that had a strong start but quickly became too complicated and tedious to follow.

Watermark: A Novel of the Middle Ages
Old 04-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #6477
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
ambie_dog:
I just finished reading that book today. I enjoyed it until it got religious, and I wasn't satisfied with the ending.
You're right about the little girl. She got on my nerves.
Yeah, the quasi-religious dictatorship didn't work for me either. Partly it's because I've seen it done in too many YA dystopias recently and partly because the underlying idea of the ruling people in the village (which I won't spoil because it's one of the few things that interested me about the book) was negated by the religious patina. Plus, even though I'm an atheist, I get really bored with the idea of everyone with religious beliefs being domineering and prone to malevolent dictatorship and/or blindly following someone because they talk about God.

And as for the 8 year old girl ... Well it's just not right to be reading a book and cheering the cannibals on in the hope that they'll just whack the snotty little git.

MM
Old 04-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #6478
rosiecotton
Lover of Tea

rosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
About to start THE REPLACEMENT by Brenna Yovanoff.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Facebook
Old 04-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #6479
TudorRose
not napping... brainstorming!

TudorRose is a shiny, shiny jewelTudorRose is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momento Mori View Post
And as for the 8 year old girl ... Well it's just not right to be reading a book and cheering the cannibals on in the hope that they'll just whack the snotty little git.

MM
I'm going to have to check this out now -- just how obnoxious can this child be?

The library gods have been kind to me of late. Last week I found the awesome Code Name Verity sitting on the shelf, and today I picked up After the Snow by S. D. Crockett, hot off the presses (more or less). Thought both of these would have long reservation lists!
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #6480
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
TudorRose:
I'm going to have to check this out now -- just how obnoxious can this child be?
Famous last words ...

Quote:
rosiecotton:
I'll be interested to know what you think. It's an interesting book but very ... difficult.

I'm going to read EVE by Anna Carey next.

MM
Old 04-11-2012, 02:37 AM   #6481
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading Incarnate by Jodi Meadows. Again. I keep having to put books on hold, but hopefully I can finish one before I get interrupted again.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Old 04-11-2012, 03:23 AM   #6482
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

MM
From my own experience with some 8yr olds it was pretty much spot on. And she does get better later in the book. By the time she gets captured/taken away, I was very concerned for her. But maybe that was just me.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:37 AM   #6483
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour
Old 04-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #6484
rosiecotton
Lover of Tea

rosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrosiecotton is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecotton View Post
Quote:

I'll be interested to know what you think. It's an interesting book but very ... difficult.
I made a sizeable chunk in it last night. I picked it up because I'd read THE SPACE BETWEEN and really enjoyed it. This has that same strange, off beat vibe that I kind of dig. Reminds me a little of Dia Reeves--I adored Bleeding Violet and Slice of Cherry.

Blog ~ Twitter ~ Goodreads ~ Facebook
Old 04-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #6485
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
THE SUMMER OF FIRSTS AND LASTS by Terra Elan McVoy

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 04-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #6486
Chanelley
2011 is the year for me :D

Chanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolness
Finished The Selection and now onto The Last Echo by Kimberly Derting. Really excited to read.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:52 AM   #6487
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Quote:
adktd2bks:
From my own experience with some 8yr olds it was pretty much spot on. And she does get better later in the book.
I could understand her being scared and unwilling to listen but it's *every* *single* *time* and at no point do the two adults sit her down and explain why her behaviour is dangerous. Instead they keep reinforcing it by telling her it's okay even though they know the consequences. But it is mainly the fact that every mistake in the book really does start with her.

In conclusion, I think we can all safely say that I should never have children. Or be allowed near children. Ever.

I've started EVE by Anne Carey and I like the idea, which is basically reworking THE HANDMAID'S TALE for teens, but the set-up is so breezy that I'm having problems buying into it. Maybe I'm just too jaded with YA dystopia now, but I'm finding the world-building to be a bit lacking.

MM

Last edited by Momento Mori; 04-12-2012 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:33 PM   #6488
Opal
The Designated No-Stress Friend

Opal is on a distinguished road
Just finished reading Please Ignore Vera Dietz which I enjoyed.
I was going to start reading 13 Little Blue Envelopes until I realized that I accidentally picked up the sequel, so I suppose I'll just read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer instead.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #6489
LittleKiwi
practical experience, FTW

LittleKiwi is on a distinguished road
Starting Torn by Amanda Hocking when I head to bed tonight.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #6490
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

In conclusion, I think we can all safely say that I should never have children. Or be allowed near children. Ever.

MM
haha...

Old 04-14-2012, 03:37 AM   #6491
Moon Daughter

Moon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolnessMoon Daughter leaves trails of profuse coolness
Just started THE FAULT IN OUR STARS by John Green.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:46 AM   #6492
bethany
:)

bethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I read I Hunt Killers, very dark, intriguing read.

The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014- A literary psychological thriller/retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. Starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal
www.bethanygriffin.com
Old 04-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #6493
Smiley0501
Lurker, now activated. :-)

Smiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for PresidentSmiley0501 should run for President
I FINALLY finished reading @cross the un1v3rs3 by b3th r3v1$. I loved it I am kind of glad I waited until the hype died down a little bit, lol, since it came out in either 2009 or 2010 can't remember which. The dual POVs, in my opinion, were easy to separate as characters. Can't wait to pick up the second book.

Of Fragile Things: agented and working on revisions
Repped by Carr1e H0wland of Donadio & Olson
Old 04-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #6494
adktd2bks
addicted to books

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany View Post
I read I Hunt Killers, very dark, intriguing read.

Oh, I heard of that one. sounded really good!

Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #6495
adktd2bks
addicted to books

Started Everneath and it's okay, but it's not giving me that wow feeling I'm looking for. Doubt it will get above 4 stars.

On a brighter note, I bought 2 aussie books: Night Beach by Kirsty Eager and All I ever wanted by Vikki Wakefield. Looking forward to those.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #6496
Chanelley
2011 is the year for me :D

Chanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hemlock by our very own Kathleen Peacock!!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #6497
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

I finished EVE by Anne Carey and it really annoyed me. The world building was underdeveloped (the author favouring pace over believable set-up), the female protagonist was a total ninny (and at one point does something so stupid that I almost threw the book across the room) and I found the gender politics dubious (women need men to look after them if they're to survive).

Am reading some grown up urban fantasy for a change and will come back to YA when I feel less jaded.

MM
Old 04-16-2012, 04:17 AM   #6498
SillyMom25

SillyMom25 is on a distinguished road
Just finished The Future of Us. I'd read the synopsis a while back and thought it sounded interesting and unique, so I was excited to read it. It did not live up to my expectations at all. In fact, I found it very disappointing.

JUST YOU, SOMEONE ELSE, and BOOK #3 coming soon (series)
OUT OF NOWHERE (ABNA 2012 Finalist)
FAKING PERFECT (K-Teen/Kensington, June 30, 2015)

www.rebeccawritesya.com
Old 04-16-2012, 04:32 AM   #6499
adktd2bks
addicted to books

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyMom25 View Post
Just finished The Future of Us. I'd read the synopsis a while back and thought it sounded interesting and unique, so I was excited to read it. It did not live up to my expectations at all. In fact, I found it very disappointing.
I picked it up based solely on the authors' names. Big disappointment here too.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:46 AM   #6500
Icedevimon
Queen of Darkness

Icedevimon is on a distinguished road
I finished Thinking Straight by Robin Reardon yesterday. And before that I reread Bait, by Alex Sanchez.
Morning Star - Edward struggles with depression and self identity within a small community that seems vested in old fashioned beliefs. Weak willed and desperate, he attempts to give himself up to eternal sleep, forcing his friends, family, and fellow students to cope with the choice he's made.
Closed Thread