Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:49 AM   #5576
vfury
Hearts the furrily challenged.

vfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I adored ANNA DRESSED IN BLOOD. Took my time reading so I could savour it. One of my best reads of 2011.

Just started THE SCORPIO RACES today.

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
YA clockpunk Alice: revising
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM   #5577
Kats
practical experience, FTW

Kats is a glorious beacon of lightKats is a glorious beacon of light
I just read Six Impossible Things by Fiona Wood (fun!) and Saving June by Hannah Harrington (loved this one, great voice and both funny and sad. Great love interest too.).
Old 11-11-2011, 07:44 AM   #5578
AlishaS
Is swimming with creativity frogs

AlishaS is a glorious beacon of lightAlishaS is a glorious beacon of lightAlishaS is a glorious beacon of light
Read and reviewed Exiled by M.R. Merrick, it was excellent!

My YA Adult Novel A Stiff Kiss is out now for Kindle, Nook, KOBO and in Paperback!

YA Won't Let Go, coming Fall 2013

Also, today on my blog:
Old 11-12-2011, 01:13 AM   #5579
Chanelley
2011 is the year for me :D

Chanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolnessChanelley leaves trails of profuse coolness
Darker Still by Leanna Renee Hieber. Very quirky so far!!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:25 AM   #5580
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I finished SOUL BEACH by Kate Harrison and although the idea's great, the execution left me meh and actually a bit irritated. It's billed as a thriller built around the question of who murdered Alice's sister Megan. The problem is that it's a first in a series, so (SPOILER) you don't find out who murdered Megan at all (although there are some highly telegraphed hints, which I'd be disappointed if they turned out to be true). Instead the focus shifts to another character in the last quarter who there's been little contact with and who is never developed. All in all, I felt a bit cheated really.

Have started THE THIEF-TAKER'S APPRENTICE by Stephen Deas. It's a YA/adult fantasy cross-over about an orphan thief who finds himself apprenticed to a thief-taker and caught up in a world of intrigue and murder. It's been a bit of a slow start but I'm enjoying the world building.

MM
Old 11-12-2011, 01:41 AM   #5581
Windcutter
starry sunrise

Windcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to beholdWindcutter is a splendid one to behold
Still reading CLOCKW0RK ANGEL, I must say Jem is a grand example of the Nice Boy type done right. The biggest downfall of the Nice Boy type is being too ordinary and easy to see through--also, when in attempt to make him sweeter the author saws off all his edges until he becomes bland. Jem, on the other hand, is ethereal (this word is actually used to describe him more than once), mysterious and complicated--while never ceasing to be nice. Though I can't help thinking Tessa isn't quite right for him, because their characters don't play off each other, they are both kind of quiet and sensible.

I also started on SUPERNATURALLY.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #5582
JustJess

JustJess is a shiny, shiny jewelJustJess is a shiny, shiny jewel
Currently reading Anna Dressed in Blood I am a sucker for a young male protagonist (some of my fave male protags were in: Going Bovine, Madmen Underground, Unwind, The Replacement) and have always loved a good ghost story.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #5583
Chrissy
Magna Cum Absurdus

Chrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChrissy is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm reading Matched which is apparently the first of a trilogy but it's going along a bit slowly... hoping more "stuff" happens soon....
Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #5584
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
I'm reading Matched which is apparently the first of a trilogy but it's going along a bit slowly... hoping more "stuff" happens soon....
Spoiler: it doesn't.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:59 PM   #5585
bethany
:)

bethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just started Bleeding Violet. Interesting, but I'm very much a character person, so I'm not sure how attached I can get to this character (but I'm only a few pages in).

The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014- A literary psychological thriller/retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. Starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal
www.bethanygriffin.com
Old 11-12-2011, 10:08 PM   #5586
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
I finished Anna Dressed in Blood the other night. Loved the voice and all, it's definitely on my favorites list. There are references in it to Cas being the ghost equivalent of Buffy and I was like, yeah, that's about it. Gruesome at times, great snarky narration/dialogue, but not really scary.

Halfway through Ripple by Mandy Hubbard. The writing is good, I'm just not feeling all that attached to the character.

Old 11-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #5587
cherita

cherita is a glorious beacon of lightcherita is a glorious beacon of lightcherita is a glorious beacon of light
Just started Daughter of Smoke and Bone yesterday and I'm not quite halfway in (39% according to Goodreads) -- but now I'm scared. I can tell the Karou/Akiva romance will start soon, and that seems to be where everyone thought it went off the rails. *fingers crossed that Laini Taylor will not let me down, because I love her in a total fan-girly way*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windcutter View Post
Still reading CLOCKW0RK ANGEL, I must say Jem is a grand example of the Nice Boy type done right. The biggest downfall of the Nice Boy type is being too ordinary and easy to see through--also, when in attempt to make him sweeter the author saws off all his edges until he becomes bland. Jem, on the other hand, is ethereal (this word is actually used to describe him more than once), mysterious and complicated--while never ceasing to be nice.
OMG, yes! I thought Tess was meh, and didn't like this book as much as The Mortal Instruments, but I loved Jem! He was a fabulous character because he was interesting, something a lot of authors seem to forget to make their nice guys. The Asian dudes are always the most interesting characters in Cassandra Clare novels (all two of them, lol).
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #5588
missesdash
You can't sit with us!

missesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmissesdash is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finishing up Some Girls Are and it's not YA, but I just started The Informers and I'm about a third of the way through Kafka on the Shore.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 AM   #5589
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
There are references in it to Cas being the ghost equivalent of Buffy and I was like, yeah, that's about it.
Yeah, there were times when I thought the author was drawing from Buffy, so the direct references were a little annoying to me, but I enjoyed the book so I forgave

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Old 11-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #5590
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Buffy talk has moved ANNA DR3SSED IN BLOOD to the top of my reading list.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 AM   #5591
vfury
Hearts the furrily challenged.

vfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
It was great.

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
YA clockpunk Alice: revising
Old 11-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #5592
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Let's be clear, I adore Buffy.

But when I'm already thinking, "This character is standing in for this role," and "this character was clearly named for this one," and of course, "it has a Buffy-esque vibe to it," and then the author puts a neon sign in the book telling me to relate the book to Buffy, I start rolling my eyes.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Connecticut and New Jersey
Old 11-13-2011, 01:22 AM   #5593
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Let's be clear, I adore Buffy.

But when I'm already thinking, "This character is standing in for this role," and "this character was clearly named for this one," and of course, "it has a Buffy-esque vibe to it," and then the author puts a neon sign in the book telling me to relate the book to Buffy, I start rolling my eyes.
I didn't think about the Buffy-esque vibe until it was actually said, but then I thought, yeah, it is exactly like that. I was far more annoyed by Paranormalcy because I'd heard that it was like Buffy, but it wasn't at all - the MC was very passive. I also read Deception by Lee Nichols because someone said the character was kickass by Buffy, and she wasn't all that either. This book I suppose is the closest I've seen if you're really looking for a comparison to the Slayer, but like I said, I didn't think about it until much later, so it felt original to me. And, the voice is awesome.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #5594
WyrdeDragon
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

WyrdeDragon is on a distinguished road
Just finished reading I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett, the fourth, and probably final, book in the Tiffany Aching series. Interesting books, a sort of coming-of-age story about a young witch. It started with her at 5 (in Wee Free Men) and at the end of the last book she's 17. All of them have Pratchett's characteristic humor and fun with language. Also good YA, dealing with finding her place in the world, being accepted as an adult by others, handling jealous rivals and so on. Also, a lot of cleaning up after her own mistakes. I always love Pratchett, but this is one of his better books.

My Blog of Random Thoughts
Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #5595
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished The Fox Inheritance. It started out quite strong, but by the end everyone was way, way, way TSTL and maybe didn't deserve to survive. I almost never feel that way about characters. But come on!

Now starting The Pull of Gravity which is pretty awesome so far.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 AM   #5596
dystophil
Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe

dystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfury View Post
It was great.
What Para said, this one is definitely on top of my reading list as soon as I finish my current re-read of an adult series.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:45 AM   #5597
JustJess

JustJess is a shiny, shiny jewelJustJess is a shiny, shiny jewel
Just started Brenna Yovanoff's The Space Between...I really enjoyed The Replacement and have been waiting for this book to be released (pleasantly surprised to find it at the library)

Old 11-14-2011, 06:43 AM   #5598
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Totally devouring ALSO KNOWN AS ROWAN POHI by Ralph Fletcher. YA contemp with a male lead.

Haven't seen much talk about it, but it's been hard to put down since I started it last night. I hope more people pick it up soon.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Last edited by Lydia Sharp; 11-14-2011 at 07:00 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 AM   #5599
MysteryScribe

MysteryScribe is on a distinguished road
I just finished reading THE UNBECOMING OF MARA DYER and I loved it so, so, SO much.

I admired how Michelle Hodkin was able to keep the reader questioning what was really going on with the MC. Everything paranormal/strange can be answered away as coincidence/and something that can happen in reality. As far as unreliable narrators go, Mara Dyer is awesome.

If you haven't read it yet, you seriously should. <33

Represented by Barbara Poelle of the Irene Goodman Literary Agency.

Let's be interwebz friends:

Blog
Twitter
tumblr
Old 11-15-2011, 02:03 AM   #5600
lvae
oh so shiny

lvae is a shiny, shiny jewellvae is a shiny, shiny jewel
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa. It was pretty good. I'm just coming out of a long reading slump, so my thoughts aren't terrible eloquent as of yet.
Closed Thread