Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 AM   #5151
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
Katallina, that makes me sad. Truth About Forever is one of my all time favorite books.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:18 AM   #5152
urbanmum
Village Vagabond

urbanmum has a spectacular aura
Ghost Town - Rachel Caine

Love the series.
Dr. Suess
Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 AM   #5153
Flur
practical experience, FTW

Flur is well-respected
Ok, so while I was waiting on The Sky is Everywhere on hold from the library, (it's in now, and I really am about to start it.. I know I said that a few days ago, but this time I mean it ) I read Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper. I'm not sure what I think of it. Is anyone familiar with the book? I really enjoyed the historical aspects of it, the setting, the characters, but the story dragged. It's frustrating when I can't figure out whether or not I like a book.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM   #5154
Katallina

Katallina has a spectacular auraKatallina has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianna Sterling View Post
Katallina, that makes me sad. Truth About Forever is one of my all time favorite books.
Don't worry, I'm not giving up. It might be that I'm reading this right after Perfect Chemistry, or it might be that this is the third contemporary that I've read in a row and it's time to read something in a different genre next go-around for a change of pace.

Part of it may also be that because of their varying situations, the characters (excluding the Wish crew) are all very controlled in one way or another. Someone needs to shake some of these people up a little.

Nothing wrong with the writing or characterization or anything in and of itself. I'm pretty sure that it is a "me" issue here.

Sweet Rebellion -- 17,500 / 60,000
(NA contemporary romance)
"I am the next in line."

My Blog <3 On Facebook <3 On Twitter <3 GoodReads
Old 09-01-2011, 09:38 PM   #5155
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. M. Walton View Post
I'm reading POSSESS by Gretchen McNeil and I'm glad I'm reading it in the daylight. So scary (in a good way).
Me too! And loving it. Almost finished. I'll be posting a review when I'm done. :-)

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
Old 09-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #5156
KTC

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfury View Post
Finished THE NEAR WITCH last week and LOVED it. It was absolutely fantastic, and I'm going to be doing a blog review.

Reading a few adult books for a while before going back to YA.
I posted a review on that one a couple weeks back. LOVED it!

I blog

I Tweet

Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #5157
milkymoon

milkymoon is on a distinguished road
I just finished the Goldsmith's Daughter by Tanya Landman, which was beautifully written and very enjoyable!

This is how it works
You're young until you're not
You love until you don't
You try until you can't
You laugh until you cry
You cry until you laugh
And everyone must breathe
Until their dying breath ~ Regina Spektor
Old 09-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #5158
synger
Analysis Paralysis

synger is on a distinguished road
My 10yo daughter and I read Cart and Cwidder this summer.

I'm reading her Leviathan. It's our first "steam-punk" type of book. I read her the first four chapters, so she could ask questions about what was going on. Then she got hooked enough to begin reading it on her own.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 AM   #5159
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
My 10yo daughter and I read Cart and Cwidder this summer.

I'm reading her Leviathan. It's our first "steam-punk" type of book. I read her the first four chapters, so she could ask questions about what was going on. Then she got hooked enough to begin reading it on her own.
YAY FOR READING 10 YEAR OLDS!!!!

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 09-02-2011, 04:28 AM   #5160
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma
Old 09-02-2011, 07:29 AM   #5161
eastcoastgal
compulsive overeditor

eastcoastgal is on a distinguished road
I read WATERFALL and part of CASCADE today. They were the only books I had on hand, and I told myself they couldn't be as bad as I was making them out to be. You know those books? The ones you feel kind of obliged to keep reading, in the hope that they will somehow end much, much better than they started?

I should know better by now.

The premise got me so excited, but the heroine left me cold. In the first forty-odd pages, she takes an instant dislike to one female character for no discernible reason, except that the character "reminds" Gabriella of girls she hasn't liked before. Gabi sarcastically says that Romana is as "innocent as a streetwalker" and notes that she uses a "trampy" way to get a man (never mind that he's Romana's intended husband) to notice her.

Seeing a pattern?

A slut-shaming teenage character may be an accurate creation, but I don't find her admirable, especially since she never recants her behaviour. Add to that a fair amount of clumsy word choice and the fact that some of Gabi's slang is outdated and "teen" voice seems forced and inauthentic, and . . . bah.

CASCADE is somewhat better than WATERFALL and I am determined to see it through to the end, but I am overall disappointed. I wanted to like these books so badly. I love historical ANYTHING. I thought these would be fantastic, and I was sorely disappointed. There was a certain amount of period accuracy, which I appreciated, but by the second or third time I tripped over a 14th century Italian character offering up a bizarrely 21st century Evangelical-style prayer, I was pretty much over the whole thing.

On the bright side, I think these books will ensure I am a much more appreciative reader when I return to THE GIRL IN THE STEEL CORSET!

~Dorothy Sayers

Last edited by eastcoastgal; 09-02-2011 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #5162
bethany
:)

bethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished The Replacement, and loved it! Wasn't sure that the ending was as great as the rest of the book (I read that part while waiting for an oil change) and someone already borrowed the book, so I'll reread the end again later to see...but I very much enjoyed it.

The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014- A literary psychological thriller/retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher. Starred reviews from Kirkus and School Library Journal
www.bethanygriffin.com
Old 09-03-2011, 10:35 AM   #5163
Katallina

I finished The Truth About Forever. In short: I just didn't connect with it. I'm still not 100% sure why. I will try another Sarah Dessen eventually, though.

"I am the next in line."

Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #5164
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
I started Imaginary Girls, but then the kids stole the ipad, so now I'm tackling Invincible Summer. I'm really loving it so far.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 AM   #5165
valeriev89
Newbie and proud of it!

valeriev89 is on a distinguished road
I'm about to start reading the last book in the Privilege series by Kate Brian. Love her! Those books were awesome.
Old 09-04-2011, 03:38 AM   #5166
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've finished THE DOUBLE-EDGED SWORD by Sarah Silverwood, which was an interesting YA fantasy set in London and an alternate London comprising of different time periods. It's a good idea, well executed and the set-up for the sequel will have me reading on.

I also finished THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES by Carrie Ryan, which I enjoyed (not least because you find out what happened to Mary) but her daughter Gabry was a bit too passive for me and the combination of the chase and the love triangle storyline meant that it felt a bit of a rehash of THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH.

I'm back on adult fiction for a bit, but bought a copy of the new Derek Landry book in the SKULDUGGERY PLEASANT series, which I'm really looking forward to.

MM
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #5167
Sandino
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Sandino is on a distinguished road
reading CHIME

I'm reading Chime and actually left it at my cabin last weekend. It's driving me nuts that I didn't get to finish it! In the meantime, I'm starting an arc of The Rivals.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 AM   #5168
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Finished Invincible Summer. Definitely one of my favorites this year. Now starting Wanderlove by Kirsten Hubbard.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #5169
KTC

I'm just about to crack open Cheryl Rainfield's HUNTED. Very excited to be doing so!

I blog

I Tweet

Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 AM   #5170
Ken
and friends . . .

Ken is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKen is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
... Madame C.J. Walker: Self-Made Businesswoman, by Yannuzzi.
Not the best bio I've read; not the worst.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:43 AM   #5171
Tromboli
Hopelessly Hopeful

Tromboli is a glorious beacon of lightTromboli is a glorious beacon of light
I'm about a chapter away from finishing Wildfire. I so wanted to like this.
Yea, not so much.

http://www.StaceyTrombley. com/

MiddleGradeMinded.blogspot.com
Old 09-05-2011, 05:44 AM   #5172
Katallina

Went on a huge shopping spree today because Chapters / Indigo was offering books for Buy 3 Get 1 Free. I got:

-- Shut Out (Yes, I got it a day early. No, I'm not reading it yet because it's on my book wars poll)
-- Matched
-- Chain Reaction
-- Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (free)
-- Rules of Attraction
-- Dragon's Oath
-- Invincible Summer
-- Shiver (free)
-- I Am Number Four
-- Will Grayson, Will Grayson
-- Firelight
-- Jekel Loves Hyde (free)

I also grabbed Witches of East End from WalMart for 30% off.

I can tell my brothers' Christmas shopping for me is going to be very easy this year: two trips to Chapters (since I have two brothers) complete with gift cards. Books aren't as expensive as games, but they add up quick.

Where the heck will I begin here...?

"I am the next in line."

Old 09-05-2011, 05:48 AM   #5173
mellymel

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oooh, some good books there, Katallina!

Just finished Vampire Academy and REALLY loved it. Starting now on The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:49 AM   #5174
Katallina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellymel View Post
Starting now on The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson.
I love that book. I hope that you enjoy it!

"I am the next in line."

Old 09-05-2011, 05:55 AM   #5175
mellymel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katallina View Post
I love that book. I hope that you enjoy it!
Thanks, I'm sure I will. It's one of those books that I really haven't heard anyone say they didn't like it. Kinda like Anna and the French Kiss.

Closed Thread