Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #5051
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katallina View Post
I started Divergent. (Okay, started is an understatement; I'm 190 pages in.) So far I am really enjoying it. So glad for the numerous recommendations people gave me to read it.
Haha, whatever happened to the take a break and write?

Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 AM   #5052
Katallina
practical experience, FTW

Katallina has a spectacular auraKatallina has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
Haha, whatever happened to the take a break and write?
My worst possible fear, actually: I have about four chapters that are going to require a total re-write and I need to figure out what has to go there. Might as well keep reading while that sorts itself out in the back of my head. But it's just the latter half of the middle. I will survive.

Back on topic: Four is awesome. I'm having a lot of fun with Divergent.

Sweet Rebellion -- 17,500 / 60,000
(NA contemporary romance)
"I am the next in line."

My Blog <3 On Facebook <3 On Twitter <3 GoodReads
Old 08-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #5053
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Last edited by Lydia Sharp; 05-11-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:26 AM   #5054
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:

Back on topic: Four is awesome. I'm having a lot of fun with Divergent.
I loved Divergent.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:18 AM   #5055
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Sharp View Post
THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab. Also picked up WILDEFIRE by Karsten Knight and read the first few pages. (Will get to the rest of it later).

Both of these are very good. <-- severe understatement
I loved The Near Witch! I reviewed it on my review blog. Such a fantastic book!

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
Old 08-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #5056
Ashes Oh Ashes
Honest, not Harsh

Ashes Oh Ashes has earned our admirationAshes Oh Ashes has earned our admirationAshes Oh Ashes has earned our admirationAshes Oh Ashes has earned our admiration
Incarceron - Catherine Fisher.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:20 AM   #5057
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTC View Post
I loved The Near Witch! I reviewed it on my review blog. Such a fantastic book!
I actually have other books I need to finish ahead of this one, but I always read the first chapter of a book the minute I pick it up from the library, just to see if I like it enough to take home... and I couldn't put it down!

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #5058
egoodlett

egoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterturn View Post
I've also recently read Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma which I didn't care for so much, but couldn't put it down until I'd finished it. The narrators' voices just didn't seem very authentic to me. They made a lot of observations that I couldn't quite believe were from the P.O.V. of teenagers. And although I suspected it wasn't going to end well, the ending felt contrived to me, rather than a realistic outcome given their pretty hopeless situation.
Agreed! I couldn't put it down, true, but once I finished... eh? The ending felt overblown, like it was done to make a point rather than as an organic outcome...

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller
Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #5059
LoveAlwaysLiana
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

LoveAlwaysLiana is on a distinguished road
just finished sister mischief and want to go private. after those heavy books I needed something fluffy so now I'm reading the break up diaries.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #5060
adktd2bks
addicted to books

I started Awaken last night, and I honestly don't know if I want to finish it. I'm only 40 pages in, but some of the world building is just driving me nuts. I mean the premise is okay, that too much internet and online stuff is cutting people off from each other, but these other things - like there are no trees?? People plant plastic ones instead and in the fall they spray paint them with the fall colors? It's just kind of ridiculous. I usually always try to finish a book once I start it, but with this one, IDK. Has anyone else read it?

Old 08-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #5061
Katallina

Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
I started Awaken last night, and I honestly don't know if I want to finish it. I'm only 40 pages in, but some of the world building is just driving me nuts. I mean the premise is okay, that too much internet and online stuff is cutting people off from each other, but these other things - like there are no trees?? People plant plastic ones instead and in the fall they spray paint them with the fall colors? It's just kind of ridiculous. I usually always try to finish a book once I start it, but with this one, IDK. Has anyone else read it?
And what is the author's explanation as to how they still breathe? There are some things best left untouched in world building. A world with no trees... Yikes.

I finished Divergent last night. Loved it. Can't wait for a sequel. Still need to write my review.

I'm so glad that all WalMart had that night I was desperate for a book was The Hunger Games. I wouldn't have ended up touching any of this dystopian stuff otherwise. Would've been a real shame, since I've enjoyed all the books I've read so much.

Hmm... Perfect Chemistry, Nevermore or Delirium? I can't seem to decide what I'll read next. My chapters order had better hurry up and get here before I run out of stuff to read.

"I am the next in line."

Old 08-20-2011, 08:08 PM   #5062
Cai
fish biscuit

Cai is on a distinguished road
Finished Chain Reaction. (Hm, I'm kind of disappointed. Somehow the blurb tricked me into believing that finally the girl would be the 'bad one' in the relationship - but she wasn't. I feel cheated. )

I'm going to read Uncommon Criminals next. But it really annoys me not to know Hale's first name(s). Grr. Grrrr.

Last edited by Cai; 08-20-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #5063
Winterturn
Scribble, scribble.

Winterturn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by egoodlett View Post
Agreed! I couldn't put it down, true, but once I finished... eh? The ending felt overblown, like it was done to make a point rather than as an organic outcome...
Yes, I felt the same ... like it had to have an unhappy ending, so it wouldn't seem like the book was saying their relationship was OK. And their alcoholic mother felt like a plot device rather than a real person. She kept conveniently disappearing and reappearing as required by the plot. I couldn't believe that at the end she's just vanished again as if nothing's happened.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:53 PM   #5064
LauraAnnSwanson
Oracle of Poultry

LauraAnnSwanson is a splendid one to beholdLauraAnnSwanson is a splendid one to beholdLauraAnnSwanson is a splendid one to behold
Finished the Ask and the Answer, slightly bothered by the ending, but am holding out judgement for the third book.

Picked up a .99cent book on the ipad called Eden by Keary Taylor seems really interesting the first 60ish pages.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM   #5065
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Will finish Invincible Summer today. What a different type of contemp for me. her writing and story are actually really refreshing and so realistic. I think my new expression instead of Holy Shit will be Shitdamn and/or Holy Moskowitz

After these last few pages, I will be reading Vampire Academy.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 PM   #5066
AlishaS
Is swimming with creativity frogs

AlishaS is a glorious beacon of lightAlishaS is a glorious beacon of lightAlishaS is a glorious beacon of light
I started and finished Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles and blogged a review

My YA Adult Novel A Stiff Kiss is out now for Kindle, Nook, KOBO and in Paperback!

YA Won't Let Go, coming Fall 2013

Also, today on my blog:
Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #5067
adktd2bks
addicted to books

Quote:
And what is the author's explanation as to how they still breathe? There are some things best left untouched in world building. A world with no trees... Yikes.
Yeah, that was pretty much my question. She says there are some trees outside the city, but still, it's like really? And everyone is going to be content with plastic trees and synthetic grass when people spend hundreds of dollars on their gardens these days ? Most everything else in the story I could see (well maybe except the thing with there not being anymore CARS), but we're talking only 50 years into the future. It was just too much. Not going to finish it. I have other more interesting ones to read these days.

Awesome that you liked Divergent.

I liked Perfect Chemistry, but I wasn't a huge fan as some people are. I haven't read the others on your list.

I'm reading Split by Swati Avashi right now. Very engaging male voice and deep story. I'm really enjoying it.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:38 PM   #5068
Katallina

I'm just starting Nevermore, even though I know I'm going to be annoyed at the end. (Spoiler: I hate cliffhangers and I've been warned it has a big one.) We'll see how it goes, though.

"I am the next in line."

Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #5069
oblivo
figuring it all out

oblivo is on a distinguished road
Read Divergent, Anna and the French Kiss, and Paranormalcy this week... and enjoyed them all in their own ways.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #5070
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished HUNTING LILA by Sarah Alderson and it left me cold. The story was predictable in every way, I never felt any sympathy for the MC (who is an utter ninny) and the male lead is defined almost exclusively by his hotness. There's a set up for a sequel but I won't be checking it out.

Started GLOW by Amy Kathleen Ryan and I'm not getting into it so far. The 'religious extremism' plot strand is a bit heavy-handed and there's a lot of telling rather than showing. But I shall continue with it.

MM
Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #5071
Zoealea
Mmmm, caffeine.

Zoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolnessZoealea leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm reading Sweetly by Jackson Pearce right now. It's pretty good so far. I've been in to fairytale re-writes recently.

Detachable (NaNo novel)-
1.6k/50k

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM   #5072
CaseyMcG
figuring it all out

CaseyMcG is on a distinguished road
Did the impossible and scored an ARC of Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Just finished it a few hours ago and I'm still giddy. Lovely story! Now off to re-read 1987.

Watch me Tumble

What? It's a writer with a blog? No way...

Yep. And she's on Twitter too.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #5073
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMcG View Post
Did the impossible and scored an ARC of Erin Morganstern's The Night Circus. Just finished it a few hours ago and I'm still giddy. Lovely story! Now off to re-read 1987.
You know the author is a member of this board, right? Has been since long before her book deal. She's lovely.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:51 PM   #5074
CaseyMcG
figuring it all out

CaseyMcG is on a distinguished road
Really? She must be so excited, there's so much buzz about her book and it's well deserved buzz as well! If she sees this bravo. I can't wait to read her next book!

Watch me Tumble

What? It's a writer with a blog? No way...

Yep. And she's on Twitter too.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #5075
dystophil
Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe

dystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdystophil is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
You know the author is a member of this board, right? Has been since long before her book deal. She's lovely.
Quote:
Really? She must be so excited, there's so much buzz about her book and it's well deserved buzz as well! If she sees this bravo. I can't wait to read her next book!
She's lovely and her book is fabulous. I think I may have to re-read it around its release date on September 13

Closed Thread