Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 05:15 AM   #4751
Katallina
practical experience, FTW

Katallina has a spectacular auraKatallina has a spectacular aura
I'm reading THE HUNGER GAMES right now.

So far I am 'enjoying' it, but there hasn't really been any fighting yet. Just a bunch of eating and politics and such. (Truth: I'm having no trouble reading it, but my brain keeps screaming about many different things. Not sure if this is a writing thing or just not being use to reading a dystopian)

I'm rolling my eyes at the Peeta v.s. Gale situation that I can see forming, because of the way that Katniss behaved in her thoughts before v.s. after she is chosen. What a mess. (Really not a fan of love triangles and with one guy not even physically present and constant interruption for her to remember him? Yawn.)

I guess I'll have to see what I think once they're done being fattened like turkies and actually get to the slaughter. It's weird for me, though. There is all of this stuff happening and yet I can't sympathize with any of the characters the way I'd like to (spoiler: because I know Katniss won't die since there are sequels), Peeta is kinda 'meh' to me and none of the adults is worthy of my respect. If they don't want this to happen, they are cowardly. If they do, they're a bunch of weirdos treating human beings like cattle at a slaughtering house.

I knew I'd have a rough go with this book. (Which, yet again, is not a -bad- book per se, just clearly outside of my comfort zone.) God save us all if I decide to read WITHER. I remember actually cursing when I read the description of it to my boyfriend last month. Yet I keep being tempted to pick it up. *shakes head*

Anyway, we'll see how I feel about THE HUNGER GAMES once something actually starts happening, I guess.

*+*+*

I'm editing this to add that I finished THE HUNGER GAMES. (I started it yesterday afternoon.)

All I can say, at the end of the book, is that I feel so sorry for Peeta that I actually shed a tear. Katniss was alright, but I just wanted to keep choking her for going on about Gale when Peeta seemed so sincere. (And my money says she ends up with Gale when all is said and done; the classic "first boy" rule. We do *meet* Gale first.)

I also feel a great deal of sympathy for Haymitch. There is no question why he is constantly drunk, between the guilt of watching other kids die in his own tangle with the Games, the fact that he has no family (as he likely had no desire to reproduce and risk a child being thrown into the Games -- who can blame him?) etc.

I also really liked Cinna.

And as much as I grumbled about the amount of food and pampering, it was put to good use as a contrast within the various parts of the book.

All in all, I enjoyed it. Not sure if I want to read the other two books or not -- I've read things about Mockingjay that made me avoid reading any of the books at all (Spoiler: A lot of character deaths? Pass.)

I'm glad I bought it and I'm glad I read it. The tense was different then I am use to (I think it was first person present tense?)

Anyway, I'm rambling way too much here. I guess I'll need to sleep on all this and then actually write about it on my blog or something. Thanks for putting up with my rambling. .

Sweet Rebellion -- 17,500 / 60,000
(NA contemporary romance)
"I am the next in line."

My Blog <3 On Facebook <3 On Twitter <3 GoodReads

Last edited by Katallina; 07-16-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 PM   #4752
Netz
Freshly caught writing bug lives!

Location: The view from my stained glass window suggests by a moonlit lake someplace...
Netz should run for PresidentNetz should run for PresidentNetz should run for PresidentNetz should run for PresidentNetz should run for PresidentNetz should run for President
Have just started 'Looking for JJ' by Anne Cassidy. Picked it up in a 2nd hand bookstore and thought it sounded interesting (plus I was shocked to find a YA book there, lol!).

Why is it that these places and charity shops never seem to have any YA books in 'em? Do teens hoard their books?? (Must confess I am loathe to get rid of any unless they are Really Bad!)

...if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches.
- William Goldman, The Princess Bride

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
- Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 PM   #4753
NoGuessing
Buzz

NoGuessing leaves trails of profuse coolnessNoGuessing leaves trails of profuse coolnessNoGuessing leaves trails of profuse coolnessNoGuessing leaves trails of profuse coolnessNoGuessing leaves trails of profuse coolness
Reading Extras by Scott Westerfeld at the moment, having just finished the main trilogy. Next up on my reading list is A Dance with Dragons followed by a choice of The Book Thief or a couple of Gaiman novels; American Gods and Neverwhere.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #4754
bertrigby
Dysfunctional dystopian

bertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewelbertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewel
NoGuessing, I'm reading ADWD too.

Neverwhere and American Gods are amongst my favourite books - really excellent and enjoyable.

My website is here and my twitter is here.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 AM   #4755
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I started a spoiler thread for A Dance with Dragons discussion. HUGE SPOILERS for the whole book. Come join me when you're done.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 AM   #4756
bertrigby
Dysfunctional dystopian

bertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewelbertrigby is a shiny, shiny jewel
Not quite there yet, Parametric (about a third of the way through), but I'll be sure to join you when I can!

My website is here and my twitter is here.

Old 07-17-2011, 05:03 AM   #4757
Sydneyd
Aye, ye scurvy dog!

Sydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSydneyd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished Passion. I did not have a huge oh my gosh moment, but my curiosity is piqued enough to read the next one when it comes out.

Still reading The Book Thief. Really liking it so far.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #4758
PollyAnna
Keepin' it Real-ish

PollyAnna is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ink_Goddess View Post
FEED by M.T. Anderson.
So good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
Now working on reading Everlost by Neal Shusterman!
That was a DNF for me.

Read Every Little Thing in the World-- rec'd by some girl who is addicted to books. V. good. And now I'm rereading The Martian Chronicles, Ray Bradbury.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #4759
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Finished Psych Major Syndrome. I really enjoyed it! Tried to start Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, but I'm being detoured myself with writing. Could I be getting my mojo back? *crosses fingers*

Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #4760
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
Just finished The Tree Shepherd's Daughter by Gillian Summers, which I enjoyed a lot. It's nice to read about someone who discovers she is a magical girl and does not respond to this new found power/responsibility by spending every waking moment trying to decide who should be her boyfriend. It was funny too, set amongst sekritly magical folks who work at a Renaissance Faire and pretend to be normal folks pretending to be magical folks.

Now working on reading Everlost by Neal Shusterman!
I read that one a couple years ago! I thought the setting was pretty interesting and I loved that cat. Not as much as Angus maybe, but I still loved him.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 AM   #4761
DrunkenLilacs
Growing tipsier as we speak

DrunkenLilacs is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
Finished Psych Major Syndrome. I really enjoyed it!
Been meaning to finish this one ever since I put it down a few weeks ago. Might pick it back up once I finish Where She Went (:

Old 07-18-2011, 10:47 AM   #4762
Spy_on_the_Inside

Spy_on_the_Inside is on a distinguished road
I've just finished reading Wither by Lauren DeStefano, part of The Chemical Garden trilogy. It was certainly one of better stories I have read in a long time.

Lately I've been getting so sick of paranormal teenage romances and it seems like there's nothing else out there. But Wither was such a breath of fresh air.

It's about a dystopian future where people only live into their early twenties and teenage girls are kidnapped and forced into polygamous marriages in order to keep the species alive.

There were a few logistics things that had me wondering, but overall it is a very strong story and certainly worth a read.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #4763
BobbyKing
figuring it all out

BobbyKing is on a distinguished road
Re-reading the third time, Peter Mayle's book:

1. One year in Provence
2. A Good Year

I enjoyed his way of writing; funny, his choice of words and entertaining...
Click to read 1st 3 chapters
Follow my 'Dadsnotextinct' twitter: @Bobbyking1812
Man's best friend may be a dog, but man's wisest friend is still a book ... Bobby King
Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 PM   #4764
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished Beauty Queens. Definitely an interesting book. Started out funny and silly, with most of the characters living up to reader expectation of Ditzy Beauty Queen Stereotype. I enjoyed the last 3/4 of the book a lot more, which was sweet and touching and funny and a bit of Feminism 101 thrown in there. I liked the diverse cast and it seemed like she had a lot to say--also a nice antidote to the outbreak of useless swooning fembot protagonistas trying to please their boyfriends. Bonus points for including loads of queer characters without being tokens. Definitely a message book, but a highly amusing one.

And then Level Up, a short little graphic novel. Sweet story but not much happened.

Now working on Eon: Dragoneye Reborn. This is seriously not the kind of fantasy I like (elaborate magical systems requiring chosen ones and dragons and tedious prologues regarding ancient mystical whatnots) but darn it if it's not incredible entertaining. (Not counting the prologue) I was hooked from the first page.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #4765
adktd2bks
addicted to books

I finished Amy and Roger's Epic Detour last night. So, I'm torn about this one. It was a really slow starter, and I think 10-15K could have easily been cut out. I did enjoy it though and got teary eyed at certain parts, yet I don't feel like it's on my list of top books for the year. I'm not sure why because usually books that make me cry go way up on my list.

Not sure what to read next. I'm in the mood for a paranormal, yet I don't feel like starting the ones that I have. Doing a re-read of Jellicoe Road is starting to sound appealing too, which I should probably pounce on because I rarely ever feel like doing re-reads. But then there's that stack of 15 books that I have to get through. Decisions decisions...

Old 07-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #4766
live.love.write
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

live.love.write is on a distinguished road
Just finished 'The Adoration of Jenna Fox'. It was fairly amazing.

Now I'm re-reading 'City of Ashes' until I go to the library next.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #4767
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished Linger and LOVED LOVED LOVED IT!!!!!! Cannot wait to get Forever!!

Now, I'm going to read Siren by Tricia Rayburn, which I got out from the library. Wasn't planning to get it (i have 3 others out from library now), but i picked it up to read while my girls played in the children's section and found myself loving the first chapter. I'm just a little confused about the genre of the book. Thought it was contemp as nothing on the back gives it any indication that it's anything different, but on the copyright page, it has the book listed as supernatural as one of the genres. Hmmm....anyone know?

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 07-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #4768
Esmeralda
Snowman...on the job

Esmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to beholdEsmeralda is a splendid one to behold
Just finished Die For Me by Amy Plum.
Sat and read it in one evening.
Excellent...reminds me a bit of Twilight.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:26 PM   #4769
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
*muttermutter*
Old 07-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #4770
live.love.write
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

live.love.write is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmeralda View Post
Most paranormal/romances nowadays remind me of Twilight. They're mostly very formulaic.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:32 AM   #4771
Momento Mori
Tired and Disillusioned

Momento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMomento Mori is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've almost finished THE TRUTH ABOUT CELIA FROST by Paula Rawsthorne and it's really not doing it for me. Every plot 'twist' is telegraphed well in advance and the prose is workmanlike rather than inspiring.

Not sure what I'm going to read next, I've got a load of ARCs to get through and can't decide.

MM
Old 07-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #4772
Kyla Laufreyson
My Protagonists Hate Me

Kyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admirationKyla Laufreyson has earned our admiration
Working on Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:47 AM   #4773
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianna Sterling View Post
Working on Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare.
ahhhhhh...i just bought this on Amazon. it's just one of those books I HAVE to own. I love her stories so much that I need to own all of them.

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
Old 07-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #4774
vivalalauren

vivalalauren is on a distinguished road
Was reading Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma, but I think I'll have to stop. The writing is gorgeous, but the brother is making me want to shake him. I don't see how he's likable at all.

Twitter
Writeability
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 AM   #4775
adktd2bks
addicted to books

Re-started Jellicoe Road 2 hours ago and I'm already 1/3 of the way through. I think this is the fastest that I've ever read, which is weird considering that it took me 2 weeks to get through it the first time around.

Closed Thread