Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 AM   #3501
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Lauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowstorm View Post
Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, and it's really ticking me off. I have too much to do and all I want is to be left alone so I can immerse myself in it. Is that too much to ask!?!? ETA: Oopsy, mistook this thread for a similar one that's not about YA books.
I loved this book, couldn't put it down.

My shiny and sparkling blog!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #3502
Heather3
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Heather3 is on a distinguished road
I am reading THE PACE by Shelena Short, but I had to download it onto my Kindle because my library didn't have it...neither did my local bookstore.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #3503
SillyMom25
practical experience, FTW

SillyMom25 is on a distinguished road
I'm reading Forget You. The plot feels a little off, and the main character can be dumb and irritating, but Jennifer Echols' strong point is definitely creating sexual chemistry and tension. Wow. That was the highlight of Going Too Far for me, as well.

She also writes amazing boys. Doug is, in a word, delicious. LOL

JUST YOU, SOMEONE ELSE, and BOOK #3 coming soon (series)
OUT OF NOWHERE (ABNA 2012 Finalist)
FAKING PERFECT (K-Teen/Kensington, June 30, 2015)

www.rebeccawritesya.com
Old 02-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #3504
DonnaDuck
My Worlds Are Building

DonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admirationDonnaDuck has earned our admiration
Zoomed through Cryer's Cross by Lisa McMann (good god, is it too much to ask to have MORE YA horror like this???) and I'm zipping through Deadly by Julie C . . . something Italian. It's about a girl at the turn of the century New York wanting to learn more about disease. It's a compelling voice that's driving me through right now.

Gritty YA Fantasy - QUERY MODE

Old 02-09-2011, 06:03 AM   #3505
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished Clockwork Angel as an audiobook. Meh.

My new audiobook isn't YA (it's one of the Dresden Files books).

In YA, I am still reading Demon's Lexicon and now am reading Across the Universe.

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance - 65K-word YA contemp fantasy
Want to beta? Rep or PM me.
Query in progress here.

Taylor-Made, version 4: 14/17 items left
Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 AM   #3506
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Just started TRAPPED by Michael Northrop, which is about a group of kids who are trapped inside their school during a really bad snowstorm, so for me, reading it now while I'm somewhat trapped in my apartment by the bad weather, it's like reading about the sinking of the Titanic while on an Atlantic cruise... I really hope I'm not jinxing myself.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 AM   #3507
Senora Verde
Teacher by day, YA writer by night

Senora Verde has a spectacular auraSenora Verde has a spectacular aura
I don't read a lot of YA contemporary, but loved Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I liked all those bubbly young-love emotions.

Full review here

or follow me on twitter.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #3508
LadyA
Listening to Bastille on repeat

LadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for PresidentLadyA should run for President
Being a huge fan of 'boys' books, i am re-reading the CHERUB series by Robert Muchamore, and am on book 5, three days into my (not really) epic quest. Absolutely love them, and i really recommend to anyone who loves a good action/teen spy story (they make Alex Rider seem pretty rubbish).

Also just read THE SECRET COUNTESS by Eva Ibbotson. Fantastic read, i love the historical setting and the characters are brilliant, particularly the villain, Muriel (although the FMC is a total Mary Sue).

Next I plan to re-read the YOUNG BOND series by Charlie Higson, including the 5th one which i haven't read yet. Again, all really good (i wouldn't be re-reading them otherwise).

Y, M & ECG - YA Contemp (62k)

WHAT I DIDN'T TELL Y0U - YA Contemp (76k)

HIS & Y0URS & NEVER MINE - YA Contemp. Querying...and entered in Pitch Wars!

C0LLISI0N C0URSE - YA Contemp (WIP)

twitter tumblr
Old 02-09-2011, 04:43 PM   #3509
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senora Verde View Post
I don't read a lot of YA contemporary, but loved Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I liked all those bubbly young-love emotions.

Full review here
Read this last month. It was an instant favorite for me.

Lydia Sharp
YA author represented by Laura Bradford
editorial assistant with Entangled Publishing
frequently on Twitter

Old 02-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #3510
Rebekkah
To thine own self be true.

Rebekkah is on a distinguished road
I just finished The Hunger Games series. All three of them were good, except I liked the first two better then the last one.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #3511
Opal
The Designated No-Stress Friend

Opal is on a distinguished road
I finished Gingerbread last night, and I thought it was a decent book.... nothing special though. I'm about to start reading Another Faust. I've got a long line of books to read after that.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:00 PM   #3512
LfB

LfB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana-Lynn View Post
Picked up Thirteen Reasons Why from the book store. LOVED it! I read the entire novel in one sitting. I don't do that often, but I couldn't put it down.
Just read this. Meant to read only one chapter this morning....ended up finishing the whole thing. I think I'm still mulling over this one (which is definitely good; having a story stay with you after reading is usually a plus imo ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Sharp View Post
Read this (Anna and the French Kiss) last month. It was an instant favorite for me.
Me too, it was a fun story! I'm looking forward to the next in the series!

Before 13 Reasons Why, I read Matched (Allie Condie). I've a huge soft spot for futuristics/dystopians. This is another book I'm still mulling over and will most likely reread soon. Nonetheless, I'm waiting for the next book!

Last edited by LfB; 02-09-2011 at 07:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #3513
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished K4ren Mah0ney's THE 1RON W1TCH. One or two fascinating ideas (clockwork birds and alchemists) squandered on awkward writing and clunky dialogue. There was little resolution to the story with a number of plot threads left dangling. I must be seriously out of touch with the YA market, because this is the second hot property in the last month (after L1sa Desroch3rs' P3RSONAL DEMONS) that left me cold.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #3514
angelfrancis
I got this!

angelfrancis is on a distinguished road
I just bought Beach Blondes by Katherine Applegate and Prada and Prejudice by Mandy Hubbard today. Very excited! I just finished Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles and the next book in the Pretty Little Liars series. Very good!

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 AM   #3515
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
Finished K4ren Mah0ney's THE 1RON W1TCH. One or two fascinating ideas (clockwork birds and alchemists) squandered on awkward writing and clunky dialogue. There was little resolution to the story with a number of plot threads left dangling. I must be seriously out of touch with the YA market, because this is the second hot property in the last month (after L1sa Desroch3rs' P3RSONAL DEMONS) that left me cold.
What's with all the numbers instead of letters? So you didn't like Personal Demons? I was thinking of getting that one.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:51 AM   #3516
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by adktd2bks View Post
What's with all the numbers instead of letters? So you didn't like Personal Demons? I was thinking of getting that one.
Sorry - habit! It means that the authors won't stumble over my comments when they Google themselves. It's partly for my benefit and partly for theirs. I'm sure Karen Mah0ney doesn't want my negative review popping up in her Google alerts.

P3RSONAL DEMONS features the heart-meltingly romantic scene where the hero considers raping the heroine, a teenage girl, while she lies unconscious. Swoonworthy.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 AM   #3517
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
Sorry - habit! It means that the authors won't stumble over my comments when they Google themselves. It's partly for my benefit and partly for theirs. I'm sure Karen Mah0ney doesn't want my negative review popping up in her Google alerts.

P3RSONAL DEMONS features the heart-meltingly romantic scene where the hero considers raping the heroine, a teenage girl, while she lies unconscious. Swoonworthy.
Ah... I never thought of doing that. Very clever.

Oy! I didn't realize it was like that. Guess I'll wait for the library to get it.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 AM   #3518
vfury
Hearts the furrily challenged.

vfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvfury is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Started TH3 R3PLACEMENT tonight. I'm loving it so far--there's a definite, Tim Burton-esque feeling to the world.

YA dysfunctional werewolves: 83k, back in the game
YA clockpunk Alice: revising
Old 02-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #3519
elissamarie
figuring it all out

elissamarie is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Finished Clockwork Angel as an audiobook. Meh.

In YA, I am still reading Demon's Lexicon and now am reading Across the Universe.

OOooh I LOVED Across the Universe. Can't wait for the next one already! Course I also loved Clockwork Angel ...
Old 02-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #3520
pixydust
Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous

pixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolnesspixydust leaves trails of profuse coolness
Oh, I was wondering about Th3 R3placement...I'll have to check it out. I love Tim Burton!

I'm reading three books at once right now--all books I can only get on my Kindle:

One is Sw1tched by H0cking (pretty cool concept, more original than I've seen in a while), CAM1LL3 by T3ss Ol1ver (I really am liking this one--Victorian era paranormal, brings to mind some of the old blk & wht horror movies) and HuSh Mon3y by Susan B1sch0ff (this is super unique, and well written, super hero fodder and fun). I grabbed these all for 99 cents, so I wasn't expecting much. I'm super excited how good they are!

I SO want to read Acr0ss the Un1verse! Looks really good!

Agent currently Subbing: GOLDEN 110,0000 ~ Aryana's survived five years longer than a normal half-blood, buying time by working as an assassin. But with her magic awake, now time’s up.
Writing: DARKNESS BRUTAL, DARKNESS FAIR 32,000/80,000 (YA; TV's Supernatural meets Dickens' Oliver Twist)

Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #3521
adktd2bks
addicted to books

I just finished Going Bovine. So I really liked the premise and all, but it was so terribly long. I found myself skimming through a lot of it.

Will start Radiant Shadows tomorrow.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #3522
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I just finished Going Bovine. So I really liked the premise and all, but it was so terribly long. I found myself skimming through a lot of it.

Will start Radiant Shadows tomorrow.
Hmm, I've been thinking about reading Going Bovine but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I might just get it from the library.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #3523
egoodlett
practical experience, FTW

egoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
I skimmed like... 90% of it. >.>

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller
Old 02-10-2011, 07:02 PM   #3524
adktd2bks
addicted to books

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryblondie View Post
Hmm, I've been thinking about reading Going Bovine but I'm still kind of on the fence about it. I might just get it from the library.
I got it from the library and I'm really glad that I didn't spend the money on it. Though, like I said it was a great premise.

Quote:
I skimmed like... 90% of it. >.>
I was probably more like 50%.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #3525
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Okay, so I'm probably the last person in the world to read Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (and I haven't seen the movie, either), but I'm reading it now.

And LOVING it. I'll probably read the whole book today.
Closed Thread