Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Young Adult
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #3301
egoodlett
practical experience, FTW

egoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of light
Just finished The DUFF <333
Now what to read....

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller
egoodlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:51 AM   #3302
Smish
Reads more than she writes.
AW Moderator

Smish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSmish is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished Twenty Boy Summer. Sad in parts, and joyful in others. A beautiful book (and the cover is perfect, which always make me happy; I confess I have a thing for covers).

Doing a beta read for an AW member, and then reading Hate List.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #3303
Belle_91
Words are life

Belle_91 is a splendid one to beholdBelle_91 is a splendid one to beholdBelle_91 is a splendid one to behold
Finished Little Women and A Great and Terrible Beauty over the Christmas holidays, and am now addicted to Rebel Angels
I wanted to tell the book thief many things, about beauty and brutality...I wanted to explain that I am constantly overestimating and underestimating the human race-that rarely do I ever simply estimate it. I wanted to ask her how the same thing could be so ugly and so glorious, and its words and stories so damning and brilliant.

Belle_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #3304
egoodlett

egoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of lightegoodlett is a glorious beacon of light
Decided to give Anna and the French Kiss a try

On Sub: Stray, YA Sci-Fi
WIP: The Quiet Ones, YA Thriller
egoodlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #3305
perfectisafault

perfectisafault is on a distinguished road
Right now I'm reading both Gringolandia by Lyn Miller-Lachmann (which I am VERY excited about, since the subject matter is something very close to my heart) and Perfect Chemistry by Simone Elkeles.
perfectisafault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #3306
Penguin
Inspiration might strike you

Penguin has earned our admirationPenguin has earned our admirationPenguin has earned our admirationPenguin has earned our admiration
Reading The Chosen One by Carol Lynch Williams. Amazing!
About a 14 year old girl from an isolated community who's been forced to marry her 60 year old uncle.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #3307
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Just finished THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson.

Just started ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins... is it just me or are the pages in that book extra silky? Seriously. My fingertips are in love.

Lydia Sharp, author and editor
Blog | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest

Lydia Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #3308
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Feeling decidedly underwhelmed by Ally Condie's MATCHED thus far. Partly it's the heavy-handed foreshadowing. "I wanted to dream about my Match last night, but I didn't. THIS SEEMS SOMEHOW MEANINGFUL. WHAT DOES IT MEAN? I wonder, as I stare out of the window at a sky the colour of DEEP MEANING."
Parametric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #3309
Lydia Sharp
for the love of love

Lydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for PresidentLydia Sharp should run for President
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
Feeling decidedly underwhelmed by Ally Condie's MATCHED thus far.
I swear, people either love that book or they hate it.

Lydia Sharp, author and editor
Blog | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest

Lydia Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #3310
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Parametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsParametric is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydia Sharp View Post
I swear, people either love that book or they hate it.
I wouldn't say I actively hate it. It's fine. The opening scene was good, and the grandfather's death was well done. But I'm a quarter of the way through and thus far there has been absolutely no plot - just pages and pages of ominous hints that there might in future be plot. And the world-building is kind of nonsensical thus far. I wish it was a little less teenage soap opera and a little more THE HUNGER GAMES.

edit: The heroine is currently sitting between the two love interests. COULD THIS BE SYMBOLIC?

Last edited by Parametric; 01-12-2011 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:32 PM   #3311
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I liked the book, but didn't love it.

The biggest problem I had with it was how the MC would think something, and the person she was with would respond as if she said it. This happened many many times. A few she points it out ("as if reading my mind" or something). But I was drawn into the book pretty well.

Read the crits! The Beta Project (password: beta)

Love Sucks - now available at Musa Publishing, B&N, and Amazon

"Fireflies" -Absolute Visions

Taylor-Made: Overhaul in progress!

Hero/Villain Series:
Hero/Villain - minor tweaking needed
Master/Puppet - 5566 words
Super/Human - Plotting (832 words)

A Paranormal Bromance - waiting for 2nd revision
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 11:38 PM   #3312
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I just read The Order of the Poison Oak by Brent Hartinger--seriously I love this book so much I want to marry it. It's the sequel to Geography Club. Nice gay boy falls in love while working as a camp counselor for burn survivor little kids.

And I read G1rl, Stolen, about a blind girl who gets inadvertently kidnapped when this kid steals a car. I dunno, I suppose the thriller genre is just not for me. For the first two thirds of the book, nothing happens but a series of tell-y recollections about the MC's life pre-kidnapping, mostly about how blind people get around. Meanwhile I'm thinking, This guy steals an Escalade belonging to the richest man in the entire state and there's no frigging OnStar to show the police where the car has gone?????? I will say at the end the MC was a totally awesome badass, which I really enjoyed. If only there was more badass and less sitting around it would have been great.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #3313
AlwaysJuly
slugging through

AlwaysJuly is a glorious beacon of lightAlwaysJuly is a glorious beacon of lightAlwaysJuly is a glorious beacon of light
I just realized I can't remember the title of the book I'm reading. It's the weird part of having a Kindle, I don't appreciate covers or titles nearly as much.

I just finished THE VESPERTINE by Saundra Mitchell and THE BETRAYAL OF MAGGIE BLAIR. Don't really read a lot of YA historical normally, but I loved those.
AlwaysJuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:13 AM   #3314
Senora Verde
Teacher by day, YA writer by night

Senora Verde has a spectacular auraSenora Verde has a spectacular aura
I liked Matched and thought it lived up to the hype. I reviewed it on my blog here

or follow me on twitter.
Senora Verde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #3315
PollyAnna
Keepin' it Real-ish

PollyAnna is well-respected
I just read P@ran0rma1cy and thought it was awful. Like allovertheplace awful. Gak.

Reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-time Indian by Sherman Alexie.

Last edited by PollyAnna; 03-10-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: google-thwart
PollyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #3316
darkdawn_xo
New fish

darkdawn_xo is on a distinguished road
Please Ignore Vera Dietz by AS King
darkdawn_xo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #3317
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Finished MATCHED today. The plot finally showed up about 95% of the way into the book. Pretty frustrated.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:59 PM   #3318
Sage
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think you had to accept that the plot was about the romance, not about the dystopia.

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 01-13-2011, 10:28 PM   #3319
Parametric
phoenix blazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I think you had to accept that the plot was about the romance, not about the dystopia.
Yeah, I think I came into this with the wrong expectations. When I pick up a dystopian novel, I'm looking for a kickass story about people rebelling against a broken society. Basically, THE HUNGER GAMES. This one not only failed in the ass-kicking department, it barely even had any rebellion. (When the protagonist passed up on her chance to contact the secret rebel underground, I almost cried. That's the classic opening to a dystopian! It's like a fantasy in which the protagonist refuses the call to adventure and spends the next 400 pages farming.) Cassia did come to realise how evil her society is, but her response was very underwhelming. All she did was give a guy a piece of a dress, which was all very meaningful and romantic, don't get me wrong, but I was waiting for her to pick up a rocket launcher.

It was just a very frustrating experience. If I'd known this was a slow-paced romance with a dystopian setting, I would have known not to pick it up.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #3320
strawberryblondie
not quite dying

strawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to beholdstrawberryblondie is a splendid one to behold
Just finished Other Words For Love by Lorraine Zago Rosenthal
strawberryblondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #3321
Sage
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parametric View Post
Yeah, I think I came into this with the wrong expectations. When I pick up a dystopian novel, I'm looking for a kickass story about people rebelling against a broken society. Basically, THE HUNGER GAMES. This one not only failed in the ass-kicking department, it barely even had any rebellion. (When the protagonist passed up on her chance to contact the secret rebel underground, I almost cried. That's the classic opening to a dystopian! It's like a fantasy in which the protagonist refuses the call to adventure and spends the next 400 pages farming.) Cassia did come to realise how evil her society is, but her response was very underwhelming. All she did was give a guy a piece of a dress, which was all very meaningful and romantic, don't get me wrong, but I was waiting for her to pick up a rocket launcher.

It was just a very frustrating experience. If I'd known this was a slow-paced romance with a dystopian setting, I would have known not to pick it up.
And I wonder how much of this was, "Oh, I have to set it up for a series, and I can't let her figure things out/change too fast"?

Hero/Villain Series:

Old 01-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #3322
adktd2bks
addicted to books

adktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolnessadktd2bks leaves trails of profuse coolness
So I finished The Duff last night. Excellent debut by Kody!! I think it'll really resonate with teenagers.

I got my first e-book from the library today too - Will Grayson, Will Grayson. So our library system only has 100 YA books available for loan and I had to wait a week to get one. Not bad in all, but I wish they'd add more titles.

adktd2bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:18 AM   #3323
angelfrancis
I got this!

angelfrancis is on a distinguished road
i just bought The Duff. read 5 pages and i'm addicted lol.

When Norah and her suicidal half-sister are sent to a boarding school in Germany, they are shocked to learn their classmates are characters from storybooks.

Twitter Blog
angelfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #3324
eyeblink
I blink

eyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseyeblink is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Finished Tomorrow, When the War Began, on to Jenny Valentine's The Double Life of Cassiel Roadnight next.

Works in progress:

Partings and Greetings (contemporary 14+ YA novel) - 75,254 words. Submitted to Strange Chemistry.

Conor and Me (working title, 14+ YA) 20,927 words and counting

Short fiction:

"Mourning Becomes Me" - version 2.0, 19,605 words and counting

"Cold" - 3753 words, final draft. Submitted!
eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:25 AM   #3325
mellymel
I find ur lack of faith disturbing

Location: I'm not sure, but if you find me, for the love of God, please let me know!
mellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmellymel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Just finished Fall For Anything by Courtney Summers...EXCELLENT. I was addicted the whole way through. Now my favorite of hers. Highly recommend.

About to start Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Read a rave review about it from someone who's taste I really trust. I'm very excited about this one.

WIP: YA Psychological Thriller--ForNever--Being queried! Please pass the vomit bucket.

Find me on Twitter!: melksan
mellymel is offline   Reply With Quote